No DCA Finals Post-Retreat/Parking Lot Run-Through

People aren't factoring in the setup time out in the streets, tho...allowing time for corps and spectators to come out and get set up...times 14 corps...time adds up very fast.

I am not talking about playing out in the street. I am talking about corps being excused one by one from the retreat block. As they excuse themselves they play 30 seconds to 1 min of music as they play themselves off the field. Its very exciting too see and hear/

Again not a perfect answer but one solution.

Edited by camel lips

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just using 1am as a example. Insert any time you like. Seems like to me finals is usually over by 10 pm "ish". Moving the start up time by a hour means the parking lot concerts could start and be concluded by 10pm.

I think you're dreaming there...and not accounting for anything that might cause a delay in that time frame...a 5 minute delay NEVER equals a 5 minute pickup.

If you depend too much on a tight timetable, you're setting yourself up for that timetable to fail.

But tell ya what....go ahead & run your lot show past the allotted time and g;head & argue with the Rochester PD if they show up to enforce said noise ordinance...you'll lose.

and the city may have sound ordinances that the community actually wants them to enforce. imagine that.

but hey, do your thing..play your show. I'm not bailing you out, and when Rochester tells DCA to #### off, we know who to blame...and it ain't the city of Rochester

Jeff,,I am clearly talking about playing these concerts within the rules set forth by the city of Rochester. Why would anyone need to be bailed out if they play by the rules? Who's blaming anyone?

But tell ya what....go ahead & run your lot show past the allotted time and g;head & argue with the Rochester PD if they show up to enforce said noise ordinance...you'll lose.

Again I am not talking about running past any allotment time or arguing with the PD. What I am talking about is finding a solution to making the parkinglot concerts possible within the law and with the good gracious of DCA and the city of Rochester.

Edited by camel lips

Well the rules are, apparently, you're not doing it. Thus the idea of bail.

Well the rules are, apparently, you're not doing it. Thus the idea of bail.

The rules this year,,yes..I am talking about a long term solution. Its clear that the parking lot concerts are not going to happen this year. Repeat for anyone that is confused. The parking lot concerts ARE NOT going to happen this year.

Clear???????????????

I think you're dreaming there...and not accounting for anything that might cause a delay in that time frame...a 5 minute delay NEVER equals a 5 minute pickup.

If you depend too much on a tight timetable, you're setting yourself up for that timetable to fail.

You can pretty much set your watch by the time table DCA sets. When they say xyz corps is going to play at 8:15,,you can bet its 8:15. If they say final corps is on the field at 9:30 pm..set your watch by that too.

The only lag or lull I can complain about is what occurs after the final corps steps off the competitive field. Seems like it takes forever for the corps to re-assemble and get into retreat block. It sure seems like it could be smoother and faster as most of the corps are already waiting in the wings for over a hour waiting to hit the retreat block.

Ive had a long day,,my knees are killing me and I have a hard day at work tomorrow. Good night all.

Edited by camel lips

Jeff,,I am clearly talking about playing these concerts within the rules set forth by the city of Rochester. Why would anyone need to be bailed out if they play by the rules? Who's blaming anyone?

Except for a few of us, most of the post in this thread have been variations on the theme of "#### the locals"...the DCA version of being an "Ugly American."

THEY didn't ask for this event to be on their doorstep.

THEY are the ones who live there, not corps performers.

THEY aren't the ones who get turned on by a drumline ramming notes or a soprano screaming...it's noise to a lot of them.

WE are the visitors to THEIR area, and to use a financial argument about how much money we bring to the area is an insult to those residents who have to put up with it...like a righ guy buying his way out of trouble

This is NO different than the stories we always hear about Jr corps losing housing because of various shenannigans....BD lost it's finals housing site because of the actions of a DIFFERENT corps earlier in the season.

We have to respect the people in the area in which we are performing.....a lot of you people are NOT doing so.

You can pretty much set your watch by the time table DCA sets. When they say xyz corps is going to play at 8:15,,you can bet its 8:15. If they say final corps is on the field at 9:30 pm..set your watch by that too.

In the stadium yes, because DCA can control that....after corps leave the stadium for the lot, not so much.

Just wondering why this is even an issue. Take your money and find a new sight to hold finals, someplace a little more location friendly to all traveling corps and thier fans. Rochester, really?

"Hey we went to Rochester to compete!" How does that really sound? Pretty Mickey Mouse to me. Select a venue that will draw record crowds and recognition, rather that scrutiny and the police.

For the record: DCA '96 holds the record...just above the DCA's at Holleder Stadium...all in Rochester. So you already have the home of "record crowds and recognition."

When DCI went to the real Mickey Mouse city of Orlando, they got the smallest crowds in years. Buffalo 90 and 95, however, were near the record in Montreal. So "we went to Buffalo" or "we went to Rochester" seems to work ok.

I remember "going to Scranton" and "going to Allentown" and "going to Bridgeport and Bayonne and Jersey City". I guess I was more worried about my friends and our performance than some strangers' opinion of where i went to compete :)

Edited by wishbonecav

I first heard about this today and thought about what a shame it was going to be to to miss Hurcs playing "Mag 7" in the parking lot.

Last years' version after Finals was goose bump city.

am I disappointed? Sure.

Am I going to live? I think so.