No DCA Finals Post-Retreat/Parking Lot Run-Through

If this keeps up, he may not have to buy any beverages in Rochester next week. :thumbup:

don't tease

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he;d collected $1 for every time it was said, he could've built a DCA-specific facility with no neighbors around and we wouldn't even be HAVING this discussion!

i've tried. none of you cheap ######## pay up :thumbup:

:thumbup::hmmm::tongue::angel1::lol::devil::worthy::worthy:

Sometimes I think some of you look for a reason to break with DCA/cause a rift within DCA/look for anyway possible to put DCA down. CASE IN POINT. This wasn't DCA's choosing but the GOVERNING BODY of the City were are VISITING.

You may not like it, but it is what it is. When the hotel tells you not to keep other guests awake with your partying do you throw this type of hissy fit? Each community has such things as noise ordinances. Break them and you're screwed. I think the best guess is the residents of the area, by the look of their homes, were there FAR before we showed up. Or the stadium. We've left trash there. We've kept them up. They are done with us, as an activity. And in some ways, that is our own fault.

honestly....if DCA were to consider a bid to Rochester and to use post show jams as a deal breaker to any city that actually wants us, the city is run by idiots if they agree to it.

Cities all across the nation are being run by idiots. This is not breaking news to anyone.

The way around this is to stipulate times of use of the facility and support grounds. If the contract says all corps have to be out of the support grounds at a specific time thats the way it has to be. Contract reads 1am? Get out by 1 AM.

Adjusting the starting time of finals seems to be the answer to a lot of the issues surrounding the specific issue of parking lot concerts. Something else that could be considered is having the finalist corps playing off the retreat formation.. A tradition that has seemed to be lost on "most" of the activity today. Playing off the field would add 15 min "at most" to retreat time.

Lots of options to explore during the off season.

My guess is the contract reads earlier than that. I was in the stadium after the encores a couple of years ago and we were being pushed out the door as soon as Reading hit their final note. The concerts in the street went on later than that. And oh, it's not the facilities that the concerts are occurring on, but public streets. That means the contract means nothing.

What time would you like finals to start so the parking lot concerts could be completed by 10 PM Ed? Most noise ordinances are 9 or 10 PM at the latest for street noises on a Sunday.....Kick the alumni show to the curb so finals can start by 3?

My guess is the contract reads earlier than that. I was in the stadium after the encores a couple of years ago and we were being pushed out the door as soon as Reading hit their final note. The concerts in the street went on later than that. And oh, it's not the facilities that the concerts are occurring on, but public streets. That means the contract means nothing.

What time would you like finals to start so the parking lot concerts could be completed by 10 PM Ed? Most noise ordinances are 9 or 10 PM at the latest for street noises on a Sunday.....Kick the alumni show to the curb so finals can start by 3?

1 was using 1 am as a example. Insert any time.

I know for a fact that the contract provides certain areas of use outside the stadium for corps use. Warm up areas, formation areas, rally points and loading areas are just a few that come to mind. Many of these are on public streets and private party with permission of the city and the residents.

I do not want to kick the alumnis to the curb. I realize they are a valuable part of the DCA weekend and experience. Starting them a hour early would have them ending a hour early. Allowing finals to start a hour earlier and allowing the parking lot concerts to start a hour earlier and end a hour earlier. Another thought would be move the Alumni corps to Saturday morning. Yes this would create a very long day for DCA crowds and DCA staff but we spend 9 months of the year working hard and sweating hard for this final event of the year. Whats 1 long day going to hurt anyone?

I think its time to start thinking outside the box a bit and come up with a solution for this problem.

Edited by camel lips

Playing off retreat isn't a bad idea. Your hotel activities are your own thing (and the hotel's to deal with). Sure, lot jams are great and all, but you have all day before the show to play that one run, too. Most Jr. corps do it these days.

Or, if you want to peel faces the next morning, you're welcome to at the hotel. Have Fran or Stephen announce it (for a fee), give specifics, or run an insert in the program. That way, you can still thank your fans/alumni for coming out. Think of it as an unofficial extra day to the season, a post-lude.

I know for a fact that the contract provides certain areas of use outside the stadium for corps use. Warm up areas, formation areas, rally points and loading areas are just a few that come to mind. Many of these are on public streets and private party with permission of the city and the residents.

I do not want to kick the alumnis to the curb. I realize they are a valuable part of the DCA weekend and experience. Starting them a hour early would have them ending a hour early. Allowing finals to start a hour earlier and allowing the parking lot concerts to start a hour earlier and end a hour earlier. Another thought would be move the Alumni corps to Saturday morning. Yes this would create a very long day for DCA crowds and DCA staff but we spend 9 months of the year working hard and sweating hard for this final event of the year. Whats 1 long day going to hurt anyone?

I think its time to start thinking outside the box a bit and come up with a solution for this problem.

Ed, the Alumni show starts early enough as it is (especially for getting them all there and set up). Moving it an hour early may not be feasible.

One was watching Cozy Baker walk up to the Renegades Hornline in bussiness suit and play with the corps final run of the season in 06.

I missed that....I was sitting about 5 feet in front of Lee Rudnicki as he rammed out the notes of the show.

I just don't get the "there's no parking lot concert so I'm quitting corps" responses. Drum corps is about so much more than a concert after the final performance. If that truly is your (the general you) make it or break it line as far as marching, then IMO you don't even remotely get what drum corps is truly about. The season you experience on the competitive field is some much greater than that last 12 minutes. What you accomplish from the day you receive your music, or pick up your guard equiptment, to when you get your drill charts, from your first score of the season, til your final score, be it in prelims or at finals, and what you did with each and every fellow member, whether you like them, hate them, think they are a walking tick box, or a marching God....that's what it is about.

So explain to me how playing your show one more time really breaks all of the above down to nothing worthwhile please. Because I don't get it.