A Plea to the Phantom Regiment Organization

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$1 to BD...Downey, ScoJo, Chandler, Gibbs, Meehan the Younger, etc...all there for decades.

Not to make this about BD but this is Sooooo true. And if you listen to the Dan Potter interview http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=8...62-10111e3a7b7b listen Wayne Downey at about 3:20 explain the the staff enviroment....that says it all.

Now how do you get there.... money of course...but more importantly it's friendship & family..it's seeing the creative environment as a joy vs a chore. It's sharing the weight of an idea and building on it (to include the MM's on the field)...a true partnership.

Best wishes to PR in their future productions, they have a great deal of people pulling for them..and we know they will deliver.

Edited by Plan9

Not to make this about BD but this is Sooooo true. And if you listen to the Dan Potter interview http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=8...62-10111e3a7b7b listen Wayne Downey at about 3:20 explain the the staff enviroment....that says it all.

Now how do you get there.... money of course...but more importantly it's friendship & family..it's seeing the creative environment as a joy vs a chore. It's sharing the weight of an idea and building on it (to include the MM's on the field)...a true partnership.

Best wishes to PR in their future productions, they have a great deal of people pulling for them..and we know they will deliver.

Well stated. I think we're all aware of the financial difficulties PR has had in the past, but the fact is ... they had one of the best staff's money can buy .... and all but one of them has left in short order. Money can buy you a great staff, but the fact is, PR already had one/several. This just furthers the point that those valuable assets that left had little to no say in the product being presented on the field. I've left teaching gigs for 3 reason.

1. Philosophical differences with leadership.

2. Being left to feel as though your creative input was not of value to the organization.

3. Money/Cost analysis.

I don't think #3 is the issue here. So that leaves 1 and 2. I'm thinking 2 is the more likely culprit.

There's a parallel just over an hour southeast of Rockford. The Cavaliers lost both their horn caption head and their percussion caption head at the end of last season, resulting in a total collapse of the corps' spirit, intensity and competitive inertia, resulting in the corps plunging precariously in placement and finding itself...

Oh, wait...

To go back further...Star in 1993 really suffered. A new guy named Jon Vanderkolff came in after the late, great George Zingali. Oh wait! how did that turn out? One of the most legendary shows of all time.

My point is this...Maybe the staff under him are ready to take the reins there at PR and so it's time for him to just move on and give the younger staff their opportunity? Just a different take on all of this. I think seeing the disciples of these great caption heads succeed is just as important and maybe they're ready and it's their time to shine.

I share your concerns, but an open letter to Rick Valenzuela posted here is not a good use of bandwidth. A corps' executive director can't answer your questions here. He probably can't even discuss them privately, with a phan or alum.

Are you really addressing this to RV? Or are you hoping that somebody else with personal knowledge of the situation will fill you in here? Or are you just hoping that the board rises up and makes a change in leadership? I guess it's option three, given your thread title...

I don't know, open letters like this seem to me to be intended more for dramatic effect or to have another agenda than a genuine, heartfelt plea for open disclosure from the top. That seems disingenuous.

I do understand and sympathize with your frustration, though. It's not a good time for Phantom Phans.

Meh. Tried writing directly. They are strangely unresponsive. Decided to start my own drum corps. Don't answer to anybody any more. (hopefully Chris won't see that comment! :thumbup: )

Well, let's see... Jeff Feidler from Cavies went to SCV. Rick Valenzuela from SCV went to PR. Now Paul Rennick from PR went to SCV. Which means that pretty soon....

Aha. Oho. Umhmm: Drum Corp's version of 'musical chairs'.

If you're hypothesizing about staff moving between corps in Northern IL...don't hold your breath.

There's some truth to this statement.

I took a nice, long break from DCI 98-03. Made a couple of observations upon my return:

1.) Take care of the off-field stuff first and the on-field stuff will follow.

2.) When in doubt, refer to rule #1.

Not to MAKE it a thread about BD, but BD's record speaks for itself. Off-field, staff, on-field, championships, etc. You are spot-on.

They're also deleting posts off of their Facebook page inquiring why he left (not that I've posted one, but others have). Just another brick in the wall...

Regiment has a history of triumph and tragedy...a lot of it is self-inflicted. Most of it started around 91-92. I doubt it will ever get any better until someone cleans house in the BOD and removes the dictator from his throne.

Sorry to be so negative about it, but it's the truth.

What do you want them to say?....."Yes - Paul Rennick has left PR."

YES ... and they wish him the best wherever his future might take him.

That would be the right thing to do.