Reading

ok....Phantom added in killing the drum major the weekend before finals in 08.

My question is.... why all the murders over the last few weeks of the season? :worthy:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is.... why all the murders over the last few weeks of the season? :devil:

:tongue:

:huh: What have YOU been smoking Sir Francis?

I guess I don't get it.. :worthy:

Pat

Pardon me for previously ignoring your rebuttals filled with logic. Difference is, the Bucs will change drill sets, staging, horn voicings, etc. And there's a difference between this and perhaps adding a guy dressed as a pirate (complete with eye patch and peg leg) to walk up and down the sideline. And then, for the big last week's push to finals, they could add a parrot on his shoulder.

Just because you cant see past the obvious layer of changes doesnt mean there arent more. We've added body moves, changed horn parts, cut people from some things and added them to others (every corps does it...dont lie :worthy: ), bumped tempos in some places, revamped the dynamics of the most difficult part of the show, changed the entire drill for the exit tune, added a 32 count jazz run sequence in place of some crappy drill, changed more colorguard stuff that I can comprehend (being a brass guy), and there's more to come this weekend. Again, I get it - Empire is always going to be known for their more 'campy' gimmicks, but do you REALLY think the judges are so easily impressed that when they see a dude in a tin man suit they think "WOW, thats WAY better than READING!!!111one!!!"?

....The answer is obviously no, and yet we beat Reading in effect last weekend anyway. Must be all that other added stuff that you assume only the Bucs are smart enough to figure out. I'm not going to say whether we'll beat them or not, but if we dont, it sure won't be because of a few props or fire extinguishers. But hey!, If you're worried, maybe you should head over to the pet shop and get them that parrot.... :devil:

Sayer............Conversely A corp that might be mediocre with a great drum line still has a chance

Absolutely correct, providing the spreads add up that way. The corps that wins should (in theory) be the most solid corps out there from top to bottom (i.e. - the sum of the parts in superior to all others). That's I guess why I said what I said about judging the captions appropriately. I have a feeling that the entire field is going to be spread by little more than a few tenths all the way down and every one of them is going to count.

Anybody else excited for Saturday?!

Just because you cant see past the obvious layer of changes doesnt mean there arent more. We've added body moves, changed horn parts, cut people from some things and added them to others (every corps does it...dont lie :worthy: ), bumped tempos in some places, revamped the dynamics of the most difficult part of the show, changed the entire drill for the exit tune, added a 32 count jazz run sequence in place of some crappy drill, changed more colorguard stuff that I can comprehend (being a brass guy), and there's more to come this weekend. Again, I get it - Empire is always going to be known for their more 'campy' gimmicks, but do you REALLY think the judges are so easily impressed that when they see a dude in a tin man suit they think "WOW, thats WAY better than READING!!!111one!!!"?

....The answer is obviously no, and yet we beat Reading in effect last weekend anyway. Must be all that other added stuff that you assume only the Bucs are smart enough to figure out. I'm not going to say whether we'll beat them or not, but if we dont, it sure won't be because of a few props or fire extinguishers. But hey!, If you're worried, maybe you should head over to the pet shop and get them that parrot.... :devil:

Well said Nick.

:tongue:

:blink: What have YOU been smoking Sir Francis?

I guess I don't get it.. :worthy:

Pat

It was a reference to one of VOReason's comments, with me using Phantom Regiment's 2008 show as a completely convoluted way of using that comment in a somewhat different, but more or less related in a roundabout sort of way context to get a laugh.

Other than that, it was very easy to understand. :huh::devil:

Spot on. The other thing is to be able to use your previous experiences as a starting point to continue to grow and learn beyond that point so you can be as well-rounded as possible.

Yes!...the two edged sword. What you state is necessary or the "experienced" person is in danger of becoming jaded/biased/stuck with dated values...and, thus, incompetent. *Never* stop being a student! Anyone heard of "The Peter Principle"? LOL...

cg

is that like the sword of Damocles Charley????? I agree with your comment about being a student and I've always said that if you don't learn at least one new thing per day, you're missing it and sucking up air that I need in my old age....oh and lol on the Peter Principle

Yes!...the two edged sword. What you state is necessary or the "experienced" person is in danger of becoming jaded/biased/stuck with dated values...and, thus, incompetent. *Never* stop being a student! Anyone heard of "The Peter Principle"? LOL...

cg