Has Drum Corps Lost Its Soul

Drum corps' soul is as healthy as ever. The OP, however, could use a little work in Paragraph Development.

Yes, because thats what this is all about. If a guy can't use proper paragraph development, he can't possibly have a valid point. :rolleyes:

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, in another thread it is being discussed as to whether drum corps has died, so it has to lose its soul if it dies, right? Proper runon sentence to be critiqued by the paragraph and runon sentence police..... :cool::tongue::rolleyes:

Need for physical fitness: This one sort of baffles me. All you have to do is look at the human conditioning of the Cavaliers of today compared to those twenty years ago and you will see the physical demand has skyrocketed.

In the mid-1970s, I marched mallets with The Cavaliers. I think I can safely say that marching with a xylophone and marimba around my neck was far less physically demanding than the running around I see from front ensemble members today. I swear they move around more than I did, and I was out on the field doing a drill.

Many have said that drum corps is a wholesome activity that teaches our youth discipline, respect, and the need for physical fitness. Is this still true, or has drum corps lost its soul...

No offense, but if you have to ask the question, then you haven't been paying attention. There is room for diversity of opinion in drum corps. I don't know anyone, however, who would suggest that modern drum corps isn't wholesome or lacks in discipline, respect or the need for physical fitness. I don't know anyone who might conclude that participation in this activity today is a souless endeavor or any way bereft of emotional and spiritual content or significance.

So no offense on your first post, but you might want to spend some time at a rehearsal; then perhaps return here to admit that the question has no more place today than it did during the fabled days of yore.

HH

Edited by glory

Many have said that drum corps is a wholesome activity that teaches our youth discipline, respect, and the need for physical fitness. Is this still true, or has drum corps lost its soul.

Drum corps began as a community support activity to instill values, discipline, respect and stressed physical fitness. American Legion and VFW posts as well as churches sponsored drum corps and helped to organize and support local shows as fund raising and competitive event. As a community-based organization, corps recruited members locally and the community responded by helping to generate funding and other support for events and activities. Corps marched in local parades and participated in local events to raise funds and generate more community support. Hundreds of drum corps, large and small, were organized throughout the country and tens of thousands of young Americans that were blessed with the drum corps experience with the opportunity to learn music and marching. In my local area of 250,000 people, 10 drum corps grew, two to gain national recognition. Corps competed in circuit and regional competitions. Nationally, there were a multitude of championships in which the top corps competed. Drum corps was an active part of American life. Hundreds of drum corps shows were held each weekend. The music was planned to please the crowd and usually included music that the audience could recognize. The fan-base included people who had never been a part of the drum corps tradition but came to believe in the contributions to the youth in their community.

Things have changed. Today the drum corps family consists of a much smaller base, 23 World Class and 22 Open Class corps. Five years ago, there were only 350 drum corps shows over the entire summer instead of the hundreds each weekend. In 2010, that number was only 115 shows. Corps recruit nationally and find a wealth of members in university and college music departments, and color guard recruits from the music and dance departments. High school bands now provide that music and marching experience for the local youth.

Drum corps today are operate as independent organizations. Corps raise funds through bingo, membership fees, event participation fees, their own local shows and other means. Wealthier corps travel nationally for the entire summer and compete several times per week and in each regional competition against the same grouping of corps. Less fortunate corps travel and compete when they can . Many corps have folded due to their inability to raise adequate funds. Many local shows have been discontinued due to the lack of local support and ticket sales. A national championship is held, but most top corps have competed against each other and the rankings are no great surprise except the top position. Drum Corps is not what it once was.

But the differences do not end with organization, the context has also changed. Traditionally, a Drum Corps consisted of bugles, drums, and a color guard, even an American flag section. The corps marched and played music on a football field, and the challenge was to put the best music and marching show possible with the assets available. Truly music in motion! Bugles were classified in their drum corps terminology as sopranos, baritones, and contra-base. Today they are called trumpets and tubas just like an orchestra. Today’s drummers include the “pit” which includes xylophones, timpani drums, gongs, bells, jazz drums, guitars, and even use recorded music and voice! The members of this “orchestra pit” do not march, but stand on the sidelines to play. Vibraphone solos from the sidelines are quickly replacing the famed drum solos. The marching shows now include props and dance routines. The horn line put down their instruments to join in the dance routines. The music uses complex arrangement of often-obscure classical pieces and original music specifically arranged to fit the marching show. The music score is designed to impress the judges with its complexity and generate high scores. The audience is often left out of the equation. In all honesty, today’s drum corps show has more in common with a Broadway show than it does with traditional drum corps. Music in Motion has been replaced with pageantry.

Certainly drum corps has lost the magnitude and participation levels it once had. The framework and context has changed, but change is not always a bad thing. Many inventive ideas have emerged over the years, but not all change is good either. Community support is not what it once was. What has not been lost is the enthusiasm of its marching members and the loyalty of former members.

Has drum corps lost its soul? Is it still the wholesome activity that teaches our youth values, discipline, respect, and the need for physical fitness? Maybe. I would like to hear what you think. More importantly, if its soul has been lost, how can we get it back?

ColDan6@gmail.com

Yes. Drum corps has lost its soul. It tried to find it at the Lincoln Memorial on Saturday, but didn't find it there either. Drum corps wanders the planet in search for its inner being. Can it find contentment, peace, happiness? We shall see.

In the mid-1970s, I marched mallets with The Cavaliers. I think I can safely say that marching with a xylophone and marimba around my neck was far less physically demanding than the running around I see from front ensemble members today. I swear they move around more than I did, and I was out on the field doing a drill.

And I can see by your photo what happens when you get away from all of the physical activity :rolleyes:

Yes. Drum corps has lost its soul. It tried to find it at the Lincoln Memorial on Saturday, but didn't find it there either. Drum corps wanders the planet in search for its inner being. Can it find contentment, peace, happiness? We shall see.

Can I play devil's advocate here on the OP's behalf?

If you're defining drum corps' soul by the values and founding principles of the first units formed in the early part of this century, then I might venture to say OP is correct.

That does NOT, however mean that drum corps isn't valuable, and doesn't provide a priceless experience for those who participate.

If the OP meant "are today's drum corps fulfilling the same needs for their constituents as their predecessors in the 40s and 50s?" then I'd say, no, the majority of them are not.

But they are offering the same type of life-changing experience--to a different class of people.

Just sayin'

If you're defining drum corps' soul by the values and founding principles of the first units formed in the early part of this century, then I might venture to say OP is correct.

That does NOT, however mean that drum corps isn't valuable, and doesn't provide a priceless experience for those who participate.

If the OP meant "are today's drum corps fulfilling the same needs for their constituents as their predecessors in the 40s and 50s?" then I'd say, no, the majority of them are not.

But they are offering the same type of life-changing experience--to a different class of people.

Just sayin'

How many activities fulfill the same needs as their predecessors from the 40's and 50's?

Just sayin'

That sums up what I was going to say in much fewer words. :rolleyes:

Mike