Has Drum Corps Lost Its Soul

In the mid-1970s, I marched mallets with The Cavaliers. I think I can safely say that marching with a xylophone and marimba around my neck was far less physically demanding than the running around I see from front ensemble members today. I swear they move around more than I did, and I was out on the field doing a drill.

I dunno...you guys WITH the resonators on those things doing all the parades etc back in the day was something else.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno...you guys WITH the resonators on those things doing all the parades etc back in the day was something else.

Ack! Resonators in parades. That's why the corps management stuck us in the honor guard. I'm not making up the next part, despite the reputation I have for cheese, but I always carried the corps' winning flag from the Wisconsin Cheese Festival contest.

Is it still the wholesome activity that teaches our youth values.........?

I dunno. Some of the Rookie Games/Talent Show/etc. things I've heard in this past decade from various corps.... :rolleyes: Not wholesome.

Some may say (due to certain events from time to time) that kids can act classless in public while in uniform, but that's the unfortunately mentality of "one bad apple spoils the batch". In general, kids are good.

Of course this been true of the activity (and many other youth activities) in the past as well as the present.

Fred O.

I dunno. Some of the Rookie Games/Talent Show/etc. things I've heard in this past decade from various corps.... :tongue: Not wholesome.

Yeah, because in decades past....it was only wholesome entertainment for members. When they had a free moment I'm sure they played pinochle and read Bible verses aloud :rolleyes:

Personally, I think things are much more wholesome these days.

Not to speak for ColDan, but I would be offended by all the snarky snarks who replied to him by taking him literally word for word (with regards to definition of soul).

I think you all missed the point.

From his historical perspective, drum corps purpose was to give the tools to kids who did not have those tools already. The tools the historical members were missing in order to be successful adults? Discipline, respect and a need for physical fitness.

DCI today requires this of their members as a prerequisite to marching. Kids now march drum corps because that's what they're passionate about coming into the activity. They weren't suckered into coming to a camp by hitching a ride with 10 guys in a station wagon ... only to figure out later that this wasn't a trip to the beach when someone shoved a bugle in their hands.

I never read the OP as questioning whether the current members possess those tools, but rather if there is a portion of the population who is lacking those tools and no longer gets them from drum corps = loss of soul.

Make sense?

I'll respond in a different way.

I think the best way to find the soul of the activity is in the Open Class.

I also think that if there is to be a defining moment in the future of DCI, it will take place in the Open Class ranks.

I think there will come a day when there will be 3 or 4 powerhouse corps who maintain a regional presence without doing a national tour. When that day comes, they will be on the same level as the top 12 corps in the country right now. It might be 10-15 years off, but with the top 7 wanting to branch off, I feel the OC will be the ones to carry the banner of fraternal order within DCI. I think they'll also start drawing crowds that rival WC attendance.

What's stopping this from happening? People to lead the charge. Corps who are willing to stick to the commitment of the OC model and show DCI a different way to do business. The other element keeping it from happening? Support. This means all of us! Support financially, support with your bumm in the seat at their shows, support in volunteering for them, support in assisting new corps during their development stage. This is where the growth of the activity lies. This is where the soul of drum corps lives at its finest. Sadly, it IS dying right now. There's just so much elitism in the past 10 years coming from the fans that it boggles my mind when they complain that drum corps is dying or shrinking or whatever.

:tongue: Music to my ears :cool: er... "drill for my eyes??" idk, PUN INTENDED. :rolleyes:

Wow, tough year. First it died, then it lost its soul. What's next?

"Has drum corps lost its keys?"

Take your pick...

mojo

brains

mark

identity

confidence

self-respect

cool

focus

appeal

luster