Southwind/Capital Regiment in 2011?

I think that its rather harsh to say you are glad an organization is not around anymore. There are many organizations that many people may not care for, but in the end they exist to provide an experience to members. If you only wanted the best for the members who march, then several groups would be forced to shut down operations, however this would be a personal opinion, as those organizations that we feel are horrible, some may feel at home there. Its purely subjective. SUPPORT THE ACTIVITY not how groups are ran, or by whom.

I'm sure Capital Regiment will be back, they are still operating. I think their problem is more financial than anything. Its finding the right model, and when alumni don't support the organization, then it is hard for growth. As for Southwind, I am pretty sure that that will never happen again, UNLESS, someone with major capital comes in and really just sets the corps up for success. Mike L was a great Corps Director, just not sooo much on the ED or Development side, we met about a year ago on the future of Southwind, and it was gloom then, and his own words said he could get them down the road and have a great summer, it was just managing the future of the corps that was hard.

I hope that other organizations take a hard look at what these groups went through, and they find a model that works for them. There are even World Class organizations that really should stay close to the "home" base and not track all over the country and make it to Texas just to have a rough placement. But then again whats charging your members an extra $500 a piece to be able to do that. I am a fan for regionalizing the activity for a few years...... Build more of a group of people that can FINANCIALLY AFFORD to march, and with new interest will create new ensembles and strengthen the ones already in existence.

Just my thoughts.

Good thoughts

I think that its rather harsh to say you are glad an organization is not around anymore. There are many organizations that many people may not care for, but in the end they exist to provide an experience to members. If you only wanted the best for the members who march, then several groups would be forced to shut down operations, however this would be a personal opinion, as those organizations that we feel are horrible, some may feel at home there. Its purely subjective. SUPPORT THE ACTIVITY not how groups are ran, or by whom.

I'm sure Capital Regiment will be back, they are still operating. I think their problem is more financial than anything. Its finding the right model, and when alumni don't support the organization, then it is hard for growth. As for Southwind, I am pretty sure that that will never happen again, UNLESS, someone with major capital comes in and really just sets the corps up for success. Mike L was a great Corps Director, just not sooo much on the ED or Development side, we met about a year ago on the future of Southwind, and it was gloom then, and his own words said he could get them down the road and have a great summer, it was just managing the future of the corps that was hard.

I hope that other organizations take a hard look at what these groups went through, and they find a model that works for them. There are even World Class organizations that really should stay close to the "home" base and not track all over the country and make it to Texas just to have a rough placement. But then again whats charging your members an extra $500 a piece to be able to do that. I am a fan for regionalizing the activity for a few years...... Build more of a group of people that can FINANCIALLY AFFORD to march, and with new interest will create new ensembles and strengthen the ones already in existence.

Just my thoughts.

Cap Regiment has issues far greater than alumni support...and in fact some of those are probably cuasing the lack of alumni support

Just my thoughts.

Any organization that is run like Capital Regiment circa 2006 should not be allowed to operate. There's nothing subjective about that.

Now they've got different, more responsible people at the helm. Last year's open class corps was a promising start, hopefully they can build on that in the future.

Edited by Rifuarian

Any organization that is run like Capital Regiment circa 2006 should not be allowed to operate. There's nothing subjective about that.

Now they've got different, more responsible people at the helm. Last year's open class corps was a promising start, hopefully they can build on that in the future.

What exactly happened?

Rick Bays is the same director of Capital Regiment in the beginning and even now. I am not 100% certain on how Capital Regiment is ran, nor how it was ran in 2006. However I know Rick, and I know SEVERAL of the members. Its easy to cast a stone and make comments on how things were and are ran. But until the members say something, then we cannot believe what is "SAID". Every corps has its problem, take for example Teal Sound. I do believe that they had interns last year sleeping with underage members, Staff Members with "of age members" and the inability to pay their instrument lease bills. AS well as a lawsuit against them from KING. So are you saying they too should not operate? Or is it just because Capital had to get help?

What about Revolution begging for money to feed their kids? They are still out? Really it comes down to support. But we all have opinions, after all are they not all like _________ (fill in the blank) as we all have them!

Rick Bays is the same director of Capital Regiment in the beginning and even now. I am not 100% certain on how Capital Regiment is ran, nor how it was ran in 2006. However I know Rick, and I know SEVERAL of the members. Its easy to cast a stone and make comments on how things were and are ran. But until the members say something, then we cannot believe what is "SAID". Every corps has its problem, take for example Teal Sound. I do believe that they had interns last year sleeping with underage members, Staff Members with "of age members" and the inability to pay their instrument lease bills. AS well as a lawsuit against them from KING. So are you saying they too should not operate? Or is it just because Capital had to get help?

What about Revolution begging for money to feed their kids? They are still out? Really it comes down to support. But we all have opinions, after all are they not all like _________ (fill in the blank) as we all have them!

I'll relate a story told to me by Rick himself. Another corps director was feeding his kids horribly. When Rick approached him about it the director's answer was "Are the kids complaining?" Rick pounced on him (figuratively) and suggested that, in his experience, a 10 oz can of green beans feeds 13, not 33.

I'm no Rick Bays apologist (he doesn't need me for that) but I'm sure, SURE, that the answer of "Are the kids complaining?" is one with which he'd STRONGLY disagree.

Just sayin' that and nothing else about the rest of your post.

My mistake. I thought he had been gotten rid of . . . my apologies. Anyways, the members did speak out, in 2006. And staff. And volunteers. Loads of 'em. Here on DCP and elsewhere.

If a corps is having trouble paying its staff, and feeding/caring for its kids, then it should absolutely be shut down until changes are made.

My mistake. I thought he had been gotten rid of . . . my apologies. Anyways, the members did speak out, in 2006. And staff. And volunteers. Loads of 'em. Here on DCP and elsewhere.

If a corps is having trouble paying its staff, and feeding/caring for its kids, then it should absolutely be shut down until changes are made.

Well if paying their staff is part of it. There are corps MANY successful ones that don't pay their staff. And really Staff pay shouldn't be a reason. If they don't get their check, then its easy, you just go home. Again I don't know the situation. But just so you know, a #10 can of green beans is rather big. And when a very successful corps goes out they buy 4 cans of #10 green beans to feed 150 kids.

JUST SAYIN!!!!!!

and the Board of Directors of the organization decides the direction of the corps, remember you can only believe 1/2 of what you hear, none of what you read about and only a 1/3 of what you see. Strong successful corps don't allow their members to post on DCP while a member of the corps, we had that rule :)

Here is to wishing Rick and Capital a speedy road back to the field, and to thank them for feeding a top 12 Div 1 corps in 2005 and 2006 a few times :) I appreciate it greatly.

I guess it cannot be "officially" called a merger but in reality our success in making finals in 1985 came from a merger of 3 entitities. The newly formed Star of Indiana, Pride of Cincinnati, and a large contengent from the Bridgemen!!! That gave a huge boost and allowed us to field a full corps for 1985 and then the organization grew from there.

I think it is sad to see any drum corps have to become inactive or fold and wish DCI was adding corps versus the major shrinking that has impacted the activity.

Having marched cap reg in 2009 I can tell you Rick Bays takes very excellent care of his members. Unlike a lot of Corps that run their operations like a business, Rick treated the entire drum corps like his own family. We always had tons of food, at every meal we always had enough for the entire corps to eat seconds if they wished. We always had a safe housing site and we were always allowed for more than enough sleep. Rick Bays is a wonderful man, he provided the drum corps with more than what it needed to survive. He gave the members everything they needed to be healthy, happy, and successful.

I also marched Revolution in 2010 and I must say whatever problems they had with feeding the corps in 2009 they fixed for 2010. We always had a #### load of food for every meal. Most of the time we had so much food that everybody got seconds, some people got thirds and we still had to throw away tons of food after the meal.