DCW article regarding touring . . .

The regional model sounds great until you realize that several world class corps are not near other corps, or would be competing a region of two, maybe three corps. Those corps will still have to go where the action is if they want to perform at all.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about keeping the corps local for a weeks in the beginning of the season and have the corps get together and sell 'tour packages'....where you buy a ticket for each show in a regional tour.

Think that is possible?

Football sells home game packages.

Why not regional competition packages?

This year, Cavies were in PA almost a week before the first show. It was nice for us to see them that early, but what was the point? In fact, while watching them, I remember telling my wife, they're show design was very good, but they don't appear ready to be on the road. Perhaps if they had more time at the beginning fo he season to rehearse and spent less time on the road, the end of the year would have been a little different. Although, maybe not too. They were successful.

The regional model sounds great until you realize that several world class corps are not near other corps, or would be competing a region of two, maybe three corps. Those corps will still have to go where the action is if they want to perform at all.

Thats true.

Some corps would still need to travel to get any competition, but the majority wouldnt.

Yeah you guys are kinda the odd man out. It does break down when you take into account Turquoise Noise. Are Spirit, Alliance, CV and those guys not close enough to work some 4 corps shows? People balk at 4 corps shows but god knows there have been some in the past. You'd almost certainly have to put retreat back in or something to stretch the night but I think they would pay.

Edit: Yeah looked it up. You guys are down there. But Crown is in the area also, only like 50 miles difference. They were wanting to become ticket gods of the DC world, let them sell tickets to the whole deal and setup SE shows. Gotta remember it's as far from you guys to Atlanta as it is from where Genesis is in S Tex up to Dallas. That's a #### big old state. LOL

But at the end of the day that's not what anyone is interested in. It just makes for good discussion board fodder. I'd bet a couple of years pay nothing ever happens in a regional way again. So back to the regularly scheduled "should disco balls and lasers be legal" debate. :worthy:

Edited by WWonka

You and Mr. Martin I Zing have been drinking from the same straw again, eh Plan?

If the Cirque plan is so translatable to other arts organizations, why don't we see more symphony oboists and bassists swinging from trapeze ropes?

Hey, I thought the game today was suggesting #### that no one would do anyway! And yes, Zing is a fine person...that was your point, right?

And for the record, Bill Haley's and the Comets bass player, swung on a trapeze....you young kids! :worthy:

If we are going to change what drum corps is completely, then what's the point of trying to save it at all? You're not saving anything. May as well start your college marching band bedazzled shows from scratch.

May as well.

Yeah you guys are kinda the odd man out. It does break down when you take into account Turquoise Noise. Are Spirit, Alliance, CV and those guys not close enough to work some 4 corps shows? People balk at 4 corps shows but god knows there have been some in the past. You'd almost certainly have to put retreat back in or something to stretch the night but I think they would pay.

Actually, I wasn't thinking about Teal and Spirit as much as I was thinking about Crossmen, Troopers, and Cascades. And no, four corps shows wouldn't be viable.

They will still tour for 3 to 4 weeks, however, they won't see any action perhaps competitively right away. Look at it this way though, for marketing purposes, this will create rivals in some regions, which is good for marketing. It will also build suspense among the fan base before the national touring starts. Suspense is very marketable, look at all the reality shows, this is what they are based on. More head to head competition early on isn't a good thing necessarily. It allows slotting to take effect and makes championships very boring. I would love to see championships where you didn't know who was most likely going to win it 5 weeks in advance.