If DCI were to allow woodwinds, would you continue to support the acti

Woodwinds Poll  

399 members have voted

1. 1. If DCI were to allow woodwinds, would you continue to support the activity (got to shows, donate on a financial level)

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure, depends on how the rule is written.

Again, as long as it's not mic'd, that doesn't bother me (mic'ing is antithetical to the very nature of drum corps: it's cheating) though clearly it would be a problem for most people here.

Miccing certain WW solo instruments wold be pretty much mandatory. Even in the HS band world we have to do that. I wrote an extended solo for an English Horn in our show two years ago. We had to mic it, of course.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miccing certain WW solo instruments wold be pretty much mandatory. Even in the HS band world we have to do that. I wrote an extended solo for an English Horn in our show two years ago. We had to mic it, of course.

You didn't "have to" do that. Lots of marching bands do without English Horns. You chose to do that. Similarly one could choose to write a show played entirely by synthesizers. But will you not agree that there is a point of change at which marching band, or its drum corps subset, ceases to be marching band / drum corps? Where is that point for you?

I've said just that many times over the years. An 'anything goes' division is, IMO, the best way to go.

To quote Ed McMahon, "You are correct, Sir!"

That way everybody could have their cake, etc. etc. etc.

I don't think change for the sake of change is a good thing. Being innovative doesn't have to mean changing the rules. Whatever happened to being creative while staying within a given set of requirements (e.g. Brass and Percussion). Here's an idea for a show next year..... "throw back". Think Mountain Dew with REAL sugar or NFL jerseys from long ago. I would support a corps who can show everyone that staying true to basic principles can also be innovative. There are so many ways to be expressive in drum corps. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Bath water would probably hurt those sensitive reeds. ;-)

Edited by hrt95

I don't always agree with MikeD, but whenever he's on he's always good for 5 or 6 consecutive posts. :doh:

You didn't "have to" do that. Lots of marching bands do without English Horns. You chose to do that.

Since I decided to write an English Horn feature, I had to mic it. That is what I meant. Sure, I could have written it for another instrument, but I had a young woman who played English horn and oboe in concert band, so I wrote her the feature for the MB.

Similarly one could choose to write a show played entirely by synthesizers. But will you not agree that there is a point of change at which marching band, or its drum corps subset, ceases to be marching band / drum corps? Where is that point for you?

If there is no marching, for sure. Instrumentally I think anything should be permitted. This year I am featuring a young lady on a micced cello, since she is an outstanding cellist. The original source for our music, Tan Dun's "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", features Yo Yo Ma on cello throughout the film. When not on cello she is in the guard.

no no no...no....

I've never had even the slightest urge to go watch a band show...(which, by the way, already exists)

if I wanna hear woodwinds performed on a stellar level, I'll go to the symphony...(which, by the way, already exists)

for once and for all, leave drum corps alone. if you had any sense of honor or guts, you'd start your own band circuit, instead of needing to suck the fan base from drum corps...

if you think band corps will work separately from drum corps, why do you need to change drum corps?

if you don't think band corps will NOT work separately from drum corps, what makes you think drum corps will work when you bastardize it into band corps?

start your own #### circuit and leave drum corps alone!

(I need that Leave Britney Alone pic..)