11th place in exibition?

That is an outstanding decision by DCA...the only decision that makes sense. Thanks DCA

Bob,

I clearly remember the last tiime it was announced that the 11th place open class corps would be in exhibition. 1999. We were both part of it then. In fact, that made it possible that we were that last corps to perform at a contest in the past cetury. (unjudged) Any guess who that corps will be this year?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better than announcing at finals retreat that the 11th and 12 place corps that night were "judged exhibitions" a la 2003.

I think we can bury that one and let it die...

I think the corps that didn't make finals should sit out just like the rest have had to do over the years.

Not true.

From at least 1978 to 1984, and I'd think before that and after those dates but I'm unsure, the 11th and 12th place corps performed in exhibition before the Finals. I saw MBI (When they were just "Brass, Inc.") at Allentown in '78 in that exact situation playing "Pinball Wizard", etc. etc..

Why? I'd think it was because there were three LP volumes, and held 4 corps each. Why waste the space on the record?

My guess is that when they went to CD sets, which I have no clue when that happened, the situation changed.

Edited by BigW

As far as I can remember this issue dates all the way back to the 1964 World Open when the Troopers finished 11th and only the top ten made finals. The show orginizers had to bring them back for a final appearance or there would have been rioting in the streets. :doh:

Not true.

From at least 1978 to 1984, and I'd think before that and after those dates but I'm unsure, the 11th and 12th place corps performed in exhibition before the Finals.

That continued into and through the 1990s, in the years when there were only 10 judged finalists. That included 1999.... when the 11th-place Open Class corps (Kilties) and the 12th-place Open Class corps (Chieftains.... they were in Open that year) did exhibitions at Finals.

I clearly remember the last tiime it was announced that the 11th place open class corps would be in exhibition. 1999. We were both part of it then. In fact, that made it possible that we were that last corps to perform at a contest in the past cetury. (unjudged) Any guess who that corps will be this year?

I know who it better not be!!! :doh:

wait...why in the blue hell are people complaining?

you're getting to see an extra drum corps for the same price as part of a great show?

Yeah sure, maybe it'd be cool to see one more Class A corps. but the bottom line is, you get to see an extra corps, for no extra $$.

I mean Jesus, I participate in some great debates on here, but sometimes I think people will truly ##### about anything.

hey DCA....thanks for giving me an extra corps to watch at no extra cost. as a drum corps fan, I appreciate it

As far as I can remember this issue dates all the way back to the 1964 World Open when the Troopers finished 11th and only the top ten made finals. The show orginizers had to bring them back for a final appearance or there would have been rioting in the streets. :doh:

The Troopers had made their surge into the mainstream in 1964 and everyone wanted to see their show - especially that M&M which was so prominent. Just FYI - Ray Samora of Fleetwood and DCN fame ran that show and my Dad managed a chunk of it for him. Fact was that Casper's appearance at the Finals was a done deal before they even competed in the Prelims. An exhibition slot had been set with Jim Jones IF they didn't make the Top 10 - which they missed by a few tenths. They were the whole package ..unies..entertaining music book...solid brass line....and OH that M&M which was superb.

The Troopers had made their surge into the mainstream in 1964 and everyone wanted to see their show - especially that M&M which was so prominent. Just FYI - Ray Samora of Fleetwood and DCN fame ran that show and my Dad managed a chunk of it for him. Fact was that Casper's appearance at the Finals was a done deal before they even competed in the Prelims. An exhibition slot had been set with Jim Jones IF they didn't make the Top 10 - which they missed by a few tenths. They were the whole package ..unies..entertaining music book...solid brass line....and OH that M&M which was superb.

Great story!!!