skipping juniors

hey everyone, I'm just exploring some options right now, and with all the excitement of finals and whatnot, it got me thinking a little bit...

what are some of your thoughts about skipping DCI to march DCA? Including next season, I would have 2 years of eligibility in DCI, but at this point I'm not sure if I can really afford it, especially since I will also be marching in a world class indoor percussion line this season.

DCI is getting way, way out of control as far as expenses go... and that is seriously not a knock on DCI. I know the activity is insanely expensive, especially with gas being as much as it is, and food costs rising. It's just that I'm a full time college student, and I really don't know if I will be able to afford it. So what are your thoughts?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never marched DCI...mostly because my first full season of drumcorps was in a DCA corps. :beer:

No regrets. Some of the life-long friends i've made, i've made in the Sunrisers.

Gave up my last 2 years to march "senior" corps... best experience of my life. I made 2 large junior corps lines the same years, both placed Top 3 those years, but cash and living arrangements became an issue.

Today, you need to consider what you expect from the program, what you are willing to put into it, the time you have to truly commit to a program and audtion for the organzation that best suits you.

The experiences the younger members of the recently completed DCA Championships are no diiferent than those of the DCI corps and the competition is just as, or more, intense. Few corps, few spots, tight scores, great organizations. The DCI touring experience is a great one - but the stress of not having the money could be a bummer... find a way if you can. Either way you can't go wrong.

What color is your heart and blood? There's only one way to find out... get on the field!

hey everyone, I'm just exploring some options right now, and with all the excitement of finals and whatnot, it got me thinking a little bit...

what are some of your thoughts about skipping DCI to march DCA? Including next season, I would have 2 years of eligibility in DCI, but at this point I'm not sure if I can really afford it, especially since I will also be marching in a world class indoor percussion line this season.

DCI is getting way, way out of control as far as expenses go... and that is seriously not a knock on DCI. I know the activity is insanely expensive, especially with gas being as much as it is, and food costs rising. It's just that I'm a full time college student, and I really don't know if I will be able to afford it. So what are your thoughts?

DCA is a great alternative and is alot younger than it used to be , not that it should matter, great learning comes from those with the experience but I know if it were me I think I would start working now, fundraise, get sponsors and for me I would do DCI if I could. You have to follow your own heart but I would regret it if I could somehow do it. JMO If you choose DCA, you will still have a great experience. That I'm sure of!

Let me say right off DCA is awesome, but will always be there for you. The junior experience is a life altering total emmersion. It is a punishing unrelenting slog that will break you and build you day after day. And in the end you will love it like few things you will ever love. And you only have this narrow window of life in which you can receive this unique experience. Do what you need to do and try and work the financial part. In the end the money will be the least important. "What Ifs" can haunt you for a long time.

And when all is said and done bring the new you back to DCA for the fun and challenges of weekend drumcorps.

Let me say right off DCA is awesome, but will always be there for you. The junior experience is a life altering total emmersion. It is a punishing unrelenting slog that will break you and build you day after day. And in the end you will love it like few things you will ever love. And you only have this narrow window of life in which you can receive this unique experience. Do what you need to do and try and work the financial part. In the end the money will be the least important. "What Ifs" can haunt you for a long time.

And when all is said and done bring the new you back to DCA for the fun and challenges of weekend drumcorps.

Well said, Mike! I did exactly that and marched DCI just my age-out year. Of course finances were not so difficult back then, especially with the pink team.. They made sure the players who deserved to be in the line were able to be there.

DCA is a good option for those who cannot afford to take the whole summer off and not work. The experience of DCI is all consuming, so you need to be extremely dedicated to put the number of hours in. This is not for everyone. Open Class in DCI is closer to the DCA experience, however they usually tour for at least a couple of weeks. I guess the advantage of DCA is that you are never too old. Regardless, I think everyone should march.

I had the oppurtunity to march jr as well, given the costs of it, I didn't do it.

I stayed with a DCA corps throughout my entire jr days, and have absolutely no regrets! Sure it's not a full season tour, but it was the best time of my life!

I agree with the majority of posters here. I wouldn't trade my life-altering experience with Cadets, but marching in a DCA corps really showed me what drum corps should be all about. So if you can march DCI, do it. There's nothing like it. But if you can't, you won't regret coming home to DCA. :beer: