Drum Majors

Decide!  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think a corps drum major should be a vet, selected by the staff? Or an open audition and allow non members to have that roll?

• Veteran Member
    • Audition. Best one gets the job regardless

Wow, I would say some of you truly have missed the mark. I was a rookie and the Principal DM/Conductor (title changed year to year) of the Blue Stars, back in 2008 and returned in 2009. 2008 was the year the corps went from 14th to 8th place. I was a not only a Rookie to the corps but a rookie to the activity as well. I had just auditioned at Phantom and had got cut in the final round and was asked to come audition at Blue Stars, that was about the extent of my "experience".

As an organization, when the members see ANYONE that can come in on their level, work with them, care and respond to them, works well with the staff and admin team, and really has the experience outside of the corps to be a valuable asset to the organization, it absolutely DOES NOT matter whether or not that DM has or has not been a member of that organization or not. I think with multiple organizations that I have helped run or been a part of, staying in house for something does not always produce the best results.

I am constantly told by veteran members now that the season has passed how unsure they were of me until they saw the way I responded to them, how rehearsals ran, and how I helped the corps run and my first official camp. But I honestly can say it was not without the support of the veteran membership that I would have been successful. The key to true leadership, especially when coming into a new organization where you are the "leader" and from the outside, is to invest your time in those who have been at the organization far longer than you have. I have built long lasting friendships with these people. One of them was my seat partner (yeah I shared a seat too in the back of the bus) in 2008.

I have seen some terrible vets make their way to the podium, and I can assure you the corps was worse for their presence there. I have seen some outside rookies to an organization come in and do some incredible things there (John Lee and Madison this year). Anyone who has some conducting ability but a true heart for servant leadership can be a DM/Conductor of a corps and it doesn't matter whether they are a rookie or a vet. The true passion of a DM is selfless-sacrifice and a willingness to serve. You can hang my Jim Jones runner-up award on that, and the shoulders of the members of the corps that earned it for me. I did nothing without them.

FCO!

-JP

2008 & 2009 DM

Age-Out 2009

I agree with everything you wrote... I do believe that some of the issues that you brought up would be easier for a veteran member to work with from both a staff and member perspective (like the things I bolded). Not saying they can't be dealt with by a rookie. The vet is a known quality and for that reason taking a rookie is riskier, IMO. Doesn't mean that they can't choose the rookie, just that they should be extra sure it is the right person, because they have less time to evaluate (a couple camps vs. one or multiple summers) which makes it harder to get an accurate read. Obviously any DM needs to have the right head on their shoulders, and follow the "leadership is earned, not given" mantra, but that is an extra barrier for the rookie to overcome.

Wow, I would say some of you truly have missed the mark. I was a rookie and the Principal DM/Conductor (title changed year to year) of the Blue Stars, back in 2008 and returned in 2009. 2008 was the year the corps went from 14th to 8th place. I was a not only a Rookie to the corps but a rookie to the activity as well. I had just auditioned at Phantom and had got cut in the final round and was asked to come audition at Blue Stars, that was about the extent of my "experience".

As an organization, when the members see ANYONE that can come in on their level, work with them, care and respond to them, works well with the staff and admin team, and really has the experience outside of the corps to be a valuable asset to the organization, it absolutely DOES NOT matter whether or not that DM has or has not been a member of that organization or not. I think with multiple organizations that I have helped run or been a part of, staying in house for something does not always produce the best results.

I am constantly told by veteran members now that the season has passed how unsure they were of me until they saw the way I responded to them, how rehearsals ran, and how I helped the corps run and my first official camp. But I honestly can say it was not without the support of the veteran membership that I would have been successful. The key to true leadership, especially when coming into a new organization where you are the "leader" and from the outside, is to invest your time in those who have been at the organization far longer than you have. I have built long lasting friendships with these people. One of them was my seat partner (yeah I shared a seat too in the back of the bus) in 2008.

I have seen some terrible vets make their way to the podium, and I can assure you the corps was worse for their presence there. I have seen some outside rookies to an organization come in and do some incredible things there (John Lee and Madison this year). Anyone who has some conducting ability but a true heart for servant leadership can be a DM/Conductor of a corps and it doesn't matter whether they are a rookie or a vet. The true passion of a DM is selfless-sacrifice and a willingness to serve. You can hang my Jim Jones runner-up award on that, and the shoulders of the members of the corps that earned it for me. I did nothing without them.

FCO!

-JP

2008 & 2009 DM

Age-Out 2009

There are exceptions to every rule.

Congratulations for having/exhibiting the talent and leadership to assert yourself into your role as DM for two VERY successful seasons at Blue Stars.

When I marched at coats the rule was you had to have marched one season with the corps before you could tryout for DM. I believe that has changed since though.

• 1 month later...

I say let everyone audition.

I was going to post, but JP said all the things I was going to say, except much better.

When it all boils down to it, it's better to at least let people audition and then choose the best of what you're offered, and I think a lot of times that could easily end up being a vet, but I think it's worth keeping in mind that sometimes someone will show up out of the blue and help take your corps 6 places higher, or come off being an assistant from last year's world champion and help take your corps 5 places higher and win the Jim Jones award.

Also, it can be kind of rude to have a "march before you're DM" rule if someone really wants to be a conductor, is a ballin' conductor, and, say, a saxophonist.

I remember wayyyyyyyy back when I marched, our staff appointed a rookie DM and it was nothing but trouble. The veteran members (many of which had been in the corps since we reformed in 1987, had been through the hard times and really resented this 18 year old kid deciding that he could be a drum major of a top 12 corps. It really bothered the vast majority of the corps. Granted, he conducted very well and looked great in the uniform. That said, he had NO respect from the veteran members of the corps. I believe that the drum major position should ALWAYS be appointed from within the corps.

We seem to be debating something that the poll DID NOT ask!

The poll wasn't Veteran vs Rookie - IT WAS Veteran vs AUDITION!

I'm obviously a Phantom Phan and I like the audition idea.

I dont think a lot of the final choices for DM/Conductor end up coming from the 'rookie' ranks (IF we define rookie as someone new to drum corps).

Usually the people trying out, auditioning, have been with the corps in previous years or have marching experience with another corps.

....and I like to see a talented, younger person get that DM job so they can be leading the corps for more than a year or two!

I agree- I would have never thought that the outside approach would work for Madison, but watching John Lee, seeing him in rehearsal, talking to the members, and meeting him face to face...he was certainly the drum major of the 2010 Madison Scouts.

I agree. But he also came over from BD and had Drum Corps experience. I doubt the Scouts would have taken him if he didn't.

I agree. But he also came over from BD and had Drum Corps experience. I doubt the Scouts would have taken him if he didn't.

I'm glad he did well; kudos J :-) Experienced drum majors are hard to find. What are the odds? 1, 2 or 3 of 150 are DMs. Sometimes ya gotta roll the dice.

edit: I voted 'Best one gets the job' done.

Edited by lindap

I feel like it's important for the drum major to have an existing relationship with the corps members and staff. I certainly believe that it's more than possible for the audition process to work out, but in my experience with my corps, a strong veteran leader is a great way to go. Notice I didn't just say "veteran," but a "strong veteran leader."

Look at the 2009-10 Bluecoats DM, Eric Humbert-Story. He may not be mentioned as much as the guy who left BD for Madison, or some others, but I can tell you that having him on the podium the past two summers has done wonders for the corps. He is a phenomenal leader. In 2008 he was one of our two horn sergeants, and he was asked to step up to the plate in 2009. People like him are the reason I love Drum Corps, and the reason why I love the Bluecoats. There is absolutely no one that I would have rather had representing the Bluecoats.

So thanks Eric. You helped make the past few summers of my life beyond incredible.

Anyway, different corps have different atmospheres and different ways of approaching their leadership. Its all preference.