Can anyone beat the Bucs?

84BDsop

Tex, I was with the Grenadiers for a few year in the mid 90's through 2000. The two things I'm proudest of from the years I marched with them are getting in to finals in 2000 and beating the Buccaneers at one show in 96.

The Buccs have ALWAYS been my favorite senior corps. I heard them on the 1973 Dream recording (because of that show, I have always LOVED the Verdi Requiem) and first saw them live at a show in Toronto in 1974. I've said on a number of occasions 'if I only lived closer...'!

Congrats on another stellar season and all the best as you plan for 2011!

Jeffry J. Mason

Precious Blood Cardinals 70-71

Seneca Princemen 72-75

Toronto Optimists 76

Park Ridge Cavaliers 77-78

Kingston Grenadiers 95-96, 2000

I even remember beating Bucs in 1997 at the first show of the season. After that they were ahead of us all summer!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And all of this from a corps which expereinced all kinds of trouble in the mid 90's. They even considered folding at one point. Kudos to them!

Absolutely.

Out of DCA Finals in 1994 and 1995 (for the first two times in Bucs' history)... and seriously on the ropes after that '95 season.

Major props to Jim Gruber and the other Buccaneers who stepped up to the plate to keep the corps alive back then..... and then, a step at a time, built the corps into the powerhouse it is today. :dontgetit:

The Bucs have always been "good men" (and women!).

I can also vouch for Sun when they were in their purple patch as being very good people, crazier than Bucs, but also very good folks, and Bush in the early 90-mid '90's in their purple patch was also a very comfident, yet humble bunch of folks- did their talking on the field, not off it, and were good folks to hang out with and party with after a long day and all the work was done.

Also fine points on getting more done and time utilization. The band Ream works with is the same way in their circuit in terms of focus, etiquitte, and effieiency. Without a doubt the key component to their success as well.

Told a current Bucs member at a KKY party just before the season started that it dawned on me I was fortunate to beat the Bucs at finals two of the seasons I marched when they were pretty doggone good ('82 and ;83), and that there aren't very many folks of late who can lay claim to that. That in itself is a really scary hoo-doo kind of thing!

it still irks Dad to this day I never lost to Bucs in my years, and he had to go to Baltimore to get them, and even then he didn't do it often.

To give an, albeit belated, recap of the topic ahead. The Bucs can be beaten. However, the path is as tough as going through the Towson, MD 4th of July Parade with no stoppages (Bucs, Fusion, Shenandoah, Sun Devils and others this past year will vouch as will I since I was there with the local 'band')

I'll agree it will take 128 of the most dedicated and talented members who will begin in November (or whenever the first rehearsal is) and stick through anything and everything until Labor Day Weekend to be the best dang corps they can.

The design staff, however it's assembled from old staff stalwarts to young blood, must buy into the show design and actively arrange and adjust the show to everyone's strengths. (I've read and heard from people about multiple corps getting ripped on this issue, which ties into the first point.)

The general membership must also buy into the show, get a feel of the show, and attempt to portray what is required of said show. This goes from the drumline maybe varying facial expressions when there's a big part (a la a swordfight, or a classic spy v bad guy showdown like in Cavies 04). Also the guard really giving off the emotion the corps has to convey. Selling the show to get the fans and judges into it is just as much the battle for the top spots as execution, if not moreso.

Then, everything must click for those special performances. Beginning with your first show whether it's Wildwood or in Georgia in late August and leading up to Rochester (or Annapolis in 2012). The scores might not seem to make sense at first, but if you see the gap closing and at a good clip, then you know you're doing something right and everyone is buying in.

It's certainly possible to build a Corps to finally unseat the defending undefeated champs since 2005. Just that road is a very tough one. Good luck to all corps, maybe I'll see YOU on the 50 in 2011.

I hope so. I almost didn't come to DCA's this year because I don't really enjoy "the race for 2nd". I enjoy the performances, but I like competition at least as much.

Syracuse then and Reading now, to me, while absolutely awesome, are products and I have a hard time getting past that. I prefer trademarks like Hawthorne, Empire, Renegades, Skyliners (when they were Sky), Reading (Parks era) etc.

I wouldn't even want to see Hawthorne win 6 in a row. For me, it gets boring to watch.

it boggles the mind that there are hypothetical 6-year veterans who have never lost a show. how do these people even feel? are they motivated by the terror of potentially losing for the first time, or are they so confident that they'll win that they go out with relaxation and swagger? it took me a year and a show to win my first show, and that was with a corps that placed in the top 4 in 2006, my rookie year.

I think it's unfortunate, in a way: I had to give up marching a year and a half ago, and while I left willingly, the (substantial, but unfortunately overruled) part of me that wanted to stay might have fought harder had I thought there was a chance of toppling Reading.

Edited by tarpal

most of the Bucs members I know focus on getting better, and the scores are up to the staff to worry about.

it must be fabulously wonderful to be able to pursue excellence purely for its own sake and not have to worry about winning

honestly...when i marched, most of my corps had the same approach. we can only control what we do, so just perform your best, and let the staff fight for every nickel and dime on the score sheets. I've often found if members worry about scores, they try to be the hero and actually hurt the corps more than help.

Saying what a corps has to do and actually achieving it are two completely different things. There is no secret really, other than putting together the right management and teaching team to formulate a long range plan and then to get the job done, all year long.

Once that team is in place, the head of the corps has to do what they can to keep the machine humming, all the while making prudent choices about adjustments along the way. This is a very obvious description of any good organization, but it is rare to find it in actual practice. It seems that personalities too often get in the way.

I wonder if everyone is aware that the race for 2011 began during the 2010 season or even earlier? Better hurry up and start running!