Finals weekend thoughts

Thanks to Sue E, Frank Ponzo and the Golden Eagles crew for the seats in their box...closest one to the 50 on side 2. great seats, protection from the elements, and even better, very short line for the bathrooms up there!

next...I know many people have taken potshots at the neighborhood for many reasons.....I've never felt unsafe there. But I will say Sunday, walking up to the little church next to the stadium, I did feel leery seeing sneakers on a wire. I know police presence was noticable, but still....yeah made me think a time or two.

Osier Roast beef...welcome back!! all 4 of your sandwiches i had rocked.

and the cannolis....yes, I left the gun, but took the cannolis.

Excelsior, Cincinnati tradition, High Country Brass....I apologize to you all for missing your show. We left about an hour later than planned from home, and then at our hotel the front desk clerk seemed to be very confused on how to process a credit card and see that it was approved, even with me and Capital One on the phone with them as he tried it.

for prelims...yeah the elements sucked. wind was nasty, a few teams got wet. I tried to take it into account.

Shenandoah Sound......easily your best product to date, with a much better run at prelims than last weekend. Still confused about the characters marching/playing while in costume, but you've definitely taken a step forward....and here's hoping you continue to design shows within your groups abilities. the Dame contra solo was my favorite part.

SoCal Dream...didn't really know the show that well coming in, and got a touch confused figuring out how what I heard matched up with what I read in the program. the brass had a good sound tho, but at times I felt the percussion was trying too hard, and it led to performance issues that may have held you back a bit.

Vigilantes.....drumline was all that and more...but I felt it didn't quite balance with the brass as well as last year. visual seemed to be the weakness. The music was fun and engaging, tho I'm not always sure how it fit the theme. Gotta love winning Ge music. if the brass and vis numbers can rise, you're back in the finalist hunt.

White Sabres.....felt the run was about the same as last week. the danger with Cirque shows is sometimes it can all sound the same, and at times, I think the lack of dynamic contrast may have been a big issue. percussion issues still a factor this week, but not as pronounced which is a good thing.

Sun Devils.....I liked the Othello idea, and after a strong start, i felt the run kind of leveled off. it looks like the music captions were what held you back on the recap, and I'll agree. That said, a good show, easy to follow, and if the whole run had had the intensity the opening did....maybe just maybe.

Govies....the masters of design for a Class A corps, and the Road Trip idea was right up there. From the opening with John welcoming us, to the on field warmup of On the Road Again, tunisia, you name it...really, a good solid show, in a year where the competiton in Class A was it's toughest yet. in a year with a lot of good lines for percussion, this is the one spot that kept you from being closer.

finals:with better weather came more energy, but also a little loss of performance clarity. still a fun show...and you need a tshirt with John's into. I know 4 people who want to buy one!

Grennies....prelims I thought was a step backwards from Reading, with the drums really overpowering the brass. Must say tho, the weather helped the storm idea!

Finals: WAY BETTER RUN! ESPECIALLY VISUALLY. the black umbrella stuff still a distraction, but i truly felt you brought your A game to finals. Here I felt the power of the Stormworks music, and i agree with you catching Gold.

Carolina Gold....loved this show even more this weekend as I was able to catch more nuances. Well thought out theme with usual suspects. the sop soloist upfront added in the upper layer of notes when needed, and one of the few class A corps I thought really came Saturday to play.

Sunday...agree with the drums call, but overall I felt the show had more energy and less clarity than Saturday had.

Fusion....congrats on your first DCA title! I thought prelims was shaky, especially with the wind and stuff, and some balance issues brass to percussion kept you that close to everyone.

Finals...hands down your best run of the year. Really, the battery was the big weakness, and if that improves next year and you're still INA, look out! great pit writing really came thru Sunday and really helped the overall product out a lot!

Kilties:in most other years, this show is probably in. Your best product since 05, maybe even 97. The problem is as you improve and modernize design, so does everyone else in DCA. This was your best attempt to meld some old with new, but I think some of the body moves looked really awkward in the Kilts, especially with the wind blowing all the moving parts on the uni's around. percussion had a few tasty moments, but at times, I felt the book was maybe too easy, or at other times, coupld with body moves, too hard. It's tough to find that right balance.

Finals ex:....easily better than Sunday. if this run happend Saturday, then who knows.

Renegades:....after the opening segment, to me the show wandered from spot for screamers to play to spot for screamers to play. lack of visual demand was a huge issue here, and what really seemed clear was the fact the lack of demand didn't lead to incredible clarity.percussion had some issues at prelims. Don't get me wrong...the show was fun. But, IMO it could have been more.

finals....perc had a better run, but I felt the corps had a "happy to be in finals" approach that led to the drop.

Bush:....i was curious to see the show all year. the preshow/opening was really cool, but after that, it leveled off until the "sacrifice" ( best line of the weekend....well, she probably shouldn't still be wearing white now"), but then leveled off again. Really, again as I have said the last few years, the show needed more horses. even 10 more brass could have helped a lot, because every brass member was so exposed.

finals...better run, but even without the wind issues from Saturday, still didn't get the white tarp at the end of the show.

CV.....hands down, best show ever. Yes, a new take on a DCi classic show is a risk, but you delivered. Easily your best visual product ever, and the recaps support that from Saturday. percussion still an issue, but even that was better. Great brass sound, and the show had me engaged from the opening gun.

finals...even better run. In say 2005, this show is top 5.

Alliance.....loved the show. the way the drill was written around the bell tower was well done, and of course the drumline played their ##### off. working the bell into the musical product was genius, and the aggression and energy was a joy. it seems the guard is a weakness, and the brass line, while improves still has a few issues yet.

finals:...brass better run, perc I felt slipped. will still watch and listen to this show all winter!

Kidsgrove Scouts!! yes, they are for real. A well fleshed out concept, great visual book and performance, and yes the safe tumbler bit was hysterically good. really the biggest issue is percussion...fix that, and you're knocking on some historically vaunted doors. really everything about the show made sense, was performed well.

finals....even better IMO. Thank you so much for coming!!

Cabs:...prelims at times seemed shaky. I dont know if the weather was the issue or what, but it felt that the show never really quite connected. I did like how the Rumps were worked in. The biggest issue IMO was the visual package...I felt it held the corps back.

finals...much better run. Pit was incredible and well written, and the battery showed up to play! of course videoing Ponzo played the Bull Call may have affected my enjoyment ( look up my facebook page) but I felt the corps came out to play and may have given hurcs a real run.

Hurcs: loved the idea and the musical selections.as always the guard, even with the wind issues was stellar, and the pit was a show in and of itself. battery had a good run too, but I felt that as a total music ensemble there were issues, and most were due to the brass. Was impressed how well the corps handled the odd meter stuff visually.

finals: Not as good of a run, especially between the battery and brass...at times I felt like pulse was lost amid people trying to overhype a bit. I kinda thought Cabs may have em.

Empire.....very good run Saturday. noticed the black/white/gray flags at the beginning...nice touch to tie into the movie there. All of the role playing stuff well done, tho the wind hampered the witches death a little. to me biggest issue was some percussion issues, but a solid run.

finals....they let it all hang out. loved the balloon at the end of the show. perc issues and some feet issues seem to be the biggest set back, but many years, this show wins. really the biggest thing, IMO, holding them back was perc issues and lack of visual demand compared to others around them.

any other year........

MBI: Easily their best total product ever. Saturday was a good run, tho the beginning of Caravan did seem off. probably didnt help with the commotion in the crowd for the medical issue in the lowr level during their show. drumline was smoking, and the brass had a good run..guard well integrated. preshow music helped set the mood too.. I thought maybe on Saturday they had it, and if not set up Sunday to be really interesting....

finals....steped up their game A LOT! won brass and percussion, it seems visual and one GE music spot held them back. i thought if the next corps didnt deliver, who knows...

Bucs....I thought Saturday was a run that may have ended the long streak. the show didn't seem to settle in. i know there was rain as well as the wind, but IMO the corps never fully seemed settled. being up higher, I was even more impressed with the visual demands, but I felt the performance was rough, even with the conditions.the corps did gather some steam towards the end, but at times I wondered if it was too little too late.

finals: yeah they brought it. I thought it would be closer than it was, but the corps was better all ways around at finals. still some serious field percussion issues, but the whole ensemble played better, and the corps moved really well. This may not have been my favorite show of the run, but the corps came to play on finals night and the scores bear that out.

alumni show:

Scout House, St. Joes, Sky and Optimists...sorry. my body refused to acknowledge the alarm clock, and I wasn't even out that late after prelims. my apologies as I wanted to see you all.

Boston: loved getting twice the Conquest, as well as ime to Say Goodbye and the Captain stuff. IMO, your best offering in many, many years!.

Park City...always a fun show, the kind where you know the runs and don't care, because they always do a good job. cymbal line always a treat, as are the soloists.

Bridgemen...light years better show than at Allentown....but still lacking what we know and want...some comedy. Can not deny the talent of the corps in all sections, but it seemed like comedy was sorely needed...way too serious for the Bridgemen. Now please play the Civil War ######. Auburn/Alabama game optional.

before i review the cabs Alumni, I must tell you about a classy thing they did. as you know, the Yankee Rebels folded up shop just a few weeks ago. Well the Cabs invited Rebs Dm Phil gentile out on the field with them, including allowing him to lead the honor guard forward during the color pre. a wonderful classy move to a fallen competitor that this son of a YR alum appreciated and got misty over.

as for Cabs Alumni...still the Rolls Royce of alumni corps. No one else does it anywhere close to better consistantly. sure there have been some great one hots ( Star, Madison, Cavies, SCV), but year in and year out Cabs Alumni delivers. Jimmy on the podium, Frank playing the Bull call leading the corps out...Espana, macArthuer Park ( even the camera man grooved)... Flamenco....all done so well. you guys are worth the ticket price alone.

minus sneakers on a wire, event ran smoothly, videoboard stauff was great...especially 75 Phoenix and 76 Matadors!

another year in the books congrats Bucs and Fusion Core, and everyone else!

oh yeah....Dear DCp...Tom Allen's wife thanks you for banning him!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excelsior, Cincinnati tradition, High Country Brass....I apologize to you all for missing your show. We left about an hour later than planned from home, and then at our hotel the front desk clerk seemed to be very confused on how to process a credit card and see that it was approved, even with me and Capital One on the phone with them as he tried it.

No worries, stuff happens. I suppose we'll just have to appear at more shows if we want to make sure more people see us. :guinesssmilie:

I do feel bad for you, missing me leaning into the wind as I marched. Six foot four, 300+ pounds, with contra on shoulder, leaning into the wind. <SHUDDER>

Thanks for taking the time to offer your thoughts,

Robert

Good stuff. I agree 100% with the assessments. And thanks for doing the Alumni Show as well.

No worries, stuff happens. I suppose we'll just have to appear at more shows if we want to make sure more people see us. :guinesssmilie:

I do feel bad for you, missing me leaning into the wind as I marched. Six foot four, 300+ pounds, with contra on shoulder, leaning into the wind. <SHUDDER>

Thanks for taking the time to offer your thoughts,

Robert

I wanted to see you guys. I'm normally one of those guys that gets there for every corps. Sadly, life didn't cooperate. seems to be my running theme in 2010 :music:

that's one show I wouldn't miss!

Good stuff. I agree 100% with the assessments. And thanks for doing the Alumni Show as well.

Thank you, Jeff, for including the Alumni show in your review, and the kind words about the Cabs Alumni. :guinesssmilie:

Thank you, Jeff, for including the Alumni show in your review, and the kind words about the Cabs Alumni. :guinesssmilie:

kind? hell, they're the truth!

Yes jeff...excellent reveiw...thank you...

since the title of this thread is "finals thoughts"...I thought I would add in my only negative thought. I had a terrible time getting to the stadium...I did not go highway. But with all the construction, one way roads...closed roads around the stadium...it took me no less then 30 minutes extra to actually get to the stadium...although I could see it the whole time. My GPS was getting tired of re-caculating. It was only the generosity of a local police officer who moved the gate at a closed street to let us through...and that was only because we had a handicapped placard hanging from the mirror...otherwise, we may still be driving around...

Other than that...a great weekend all around...thank you DCA....