Corps names that wouldn't work today

Anything ending in "men"..... :thumbdown:

s/ Guy who was around when the corps went co-ed and the corps song had to be changed.....

LOL - actually found the Booma Post when I was on vacation. Even stopped the car for a picture while my wife was wondering "Now What?".

The Meridian Woodpeckers, an all-girl fife and drum corps down the road from Butler. I always get a giggle out of that name.

Would have been much worse if they were all male.

The George Washington Carver Gay Blades!!!! :thumbdown:

Several of the all-time greatest members of the Sunrisers came from that corps. :starwars:

Fran! Maybe you can help me with something then! :tongue:

I lost the image of it (PC blow-up), but I bid pretty far on an old Gay Blades pin, didn't win it. Guy didn't know what he had, but when I told him- he said it made sense given where it came from. The estate had the right connections to the corps and the fellow had the right background.

The pin was white background with a medium French Racing Blue printing.

The top edge of the pin had "GAY BLADES"..

The middle had a tophat, gloves, and a cane.. and the bottom read "20-4" IIRC.

Would anyone know what the "20-4" at the bottom meant? Never seen anyting like it before, but couldn't in all conscience bid like 15+ bucks on a corps pin at that time.

If anyone knows, it'd be here on DCP. Thanks in advance for any knowledge anyone might have on this.

The middle had a tophat, gloves, and a cane.. and the bottom read "20-4" IIRC.

Would anyone know what the "20-4" at the bottom meant? Never seen anyting like it before, but couldn't in all conscience bid like 15+ bucks on a corps pin at that time.

If anyone knows, it'd be here on DCP. Thanks in advance for any knowledge anyone might have on this.

20 & 4 is the ladies American Legion organization. Perhaps it has something to do with that???

General Putnams Men - liked the corps, never liked the name. It just never sounded like a name I could ever imagine winning DCI.

The Thing

Firemen Vaqueros - one of those being the first corps I was in. A fortunate merging of two corps with an UNfortunate cooperative effort made regarding the naming. Ironic that just a few weeks ago I was speaking with the Vaqueros corps director, and even he just shook his head at that name combo.

and another aspect of this isn't so much a BAD reason for not being able to use a name, but obviously no corps could ever name themselves anything close to "Vanguard" or "Blue" something or "Cadets" because the name has so much association with the obvious top corps with those names. Takes away a lot of possibilities is what I'm saying... but not that they wouldn't "work"

Edited by GGarrett

Limited Edition. Stupid. Makes them sound like they were predicting their own demise.

Knight Command. Are you frigging kidding me?

I'm not a huge fan of singular-entity names like "Force" or "Power" os "Spirit" (ATL gets to use it, everyone else stay away). I like "Sound" in that context because it's aural, and a sound is also a body of water, like Long Island Sound, and Sucoast Sound makes me think that way. I'm having trouble thinking of a corps name that's been in the activity less time than I've been involved (1980) That's any good. I guess that's a new parlor game, though.