Corps names that wouldn't work today

The Mighty Midgets are one of the thousands of drum & bugle corps that have been documented as existing during the 20th century. The list I compiled appears in Volume 1 of the Drum Corps World History Book. I'm fairly certain they were active WAY back. They may have been a Cub Scout or elementary school unit.

Some of these corps were literally active just long enough to make an appearance at a school function or parade. (That explains the thrown-together name of the organization.) If you weren't around at just the right time, you NEVER saw them.

Some more I found:

The Buzzards

The Mercy Mounts (ugly girls?)

The Alamo Marksmen

The Mouchiors

The Pacemakers

The Who

The Ambassadoes (not a typo)

E Pluribus Unum

The Huskateers

The Granite Chips

There's lots more!

Amazing the sheer NUMBER of corps that used to exist...

Funny story about the Mouchiors (WA). Nobody knew what Mouchiors were. (Turns out it is French for handkerchiefs.)

Because of all the confusion they changed the name.

I believe this was the Kennedy High School corps that became the Continentals.

"Mouchoirs," perhaps?

No, in this case it is spelled Mouchiors.

Being a Frenchman,I can confirm that ''Mouchiors'' is not French but Mouchoirs is.

Bye! :dontgetit:

Here's another goofy one- The Sweethearts out of Lewistown, PA, an all-girl corps, parade only. Fawber- remember Meri-Beth? Her Dad was the director. :dontgetit:

I MAY have a drum, but I think what I have are mostly the old Brooklyn Fire Company Drum Corps stuff from lewistown...

Ahhah! That would be a good explanation of why it's on the pin- could have been something the corps' members' lady friends wore at shows!?

Might be... I'm not sure.

Gene Bennett was one of those who marched with Carver before coming to the Sunrisers. Next time I see him, I'll try to remember to ask him your question. Might see him at the Sun reunion thing coming up later this month.

Not a name that might not work today....

but there was a senior corps from NJ called the Jersey Joes.

I always thought that was a cool name. :dontgetit: