Corps names that wouldn't work today

Custer's Brigade from Illinois. I always thought that was a real different name for a drum corps even when they were in existence back in the 1960s. I don't remember them faring much better in the drum corps activity than the original Custer's Brigade did fighting out West.

They were from my town, Libertyville (but long gone before I moved here). There are a couple pics of them in the Historical Photos thread, and they look to have an average age of about 9 (pretty cool unis for a bunch of little kids, though).

Would have been interesting to see them mix it up with the Skokie Indians in a Junior/Senior drum corps cagematch.

Edited by mobrien

Gee, this corps upsets TWO groups of people at the same time...Native Americans and Vegans! :dontgetit:

"Indians":

Skokie, Hamm's and the junior "Kingston" Indians, from Kingston NY. There was alos the "Braintree Warrios" junior corps from Braintree MA and the CMCC "Warriors" from NYC NY

St Rocco's Cadets of Brooklyn NY was originally named the "Golden Aces",

Elphaba

Hey Brian ... Mighty Midgets? ... from CT? ... can't say I remember ever hearing that name ... even for the old "feeder" corps in the 50's and 60's ... any info on them?

:-)

"The Nutmeg State":

How about the olde "Hot Shots"!!!!! :dontgetit:

Elphaba

"Indians":

Skokie, Hamm's and the junior "Kingston" Indians, from Kingston NY. There was alos the "Braintree Warrios" junior corps from Braintree MA and the CMCC "Warriors" from NYC NY

St Rocco's Cadets of Brooklyn NY was originally named the "Golden Aces",

Elphaba

Indian names, on the senior side there were also:

Massapequa Redmen

Oneida Redskins

Seneca Chiefs

Pontiac Chieftains

Red Devils

Chieftains

Red Raiders

Blackhawks

And speaking of Custer's Brigade, there was also a senior corps called General George Custer out of Battle Creek, Michigan...

Custer's Brigade from Illinois. I always thought that was a real different name for a drum corps even when they were in existence back in the 1960s. I don't remember them faring much better in the drum corps activity than the original Custer's Brigade did fighting out West.

Also, I think it would be quite shocking to see a Klu Klux Klan Drum and Bugle Corps today. They did exist early in the 20th Century. Not a good idea today!

Custer's Brigade eventually must have decided that having Custer as part of their name wasn't good. They dropped it from their name, and were simply known as the Brigade in their final year.

I remember when some Ku Klux Klan drum & bugle corps stuff showed up on e-bay about 10 years ago. There was quite a furor stirred up on the drum corps chat sites.

"Sponsored by Breweries":

Ballantine of Newark NJ sponsored the old "Ballantine Brewers:, and "Hamm's" of Minneapolis MN sponsored the "Hamm's Indians".

Any others?

Elphaba

Didnt the corps known as "the Thing" become like the Vanguard or something?(scv).

I always hated the name"Kidets".

There was also the Mountettes or Mounties,complete with canadian law enforcement garb.

Some of the all girl names were kinda dorky too.

Jean-ettes?

and then there were(if not already mentioned) Hershey Chocolatiers.

Some drum corps names were more like hs clubs rather than dc.

Socialites(sorry Pam if youre reading this) :blink:

Lamplighters?

Fire-ettes? :tongue:

Some drum corps names were more like hs clubs rather than dc.

Socialites(sorry Pam if youre reading this) :blink:

Lamplighters?

Fire-ettes? :tongue:

The Edison Lamplighters were sponsored by the Thomas A. Edison AL Post # 187, so the name kinda made sense.

Commonwealth Edison in New York and Chicago were sponsored by the Power Company...

"The Nutmeg State":

How about the olde "Hot Shots"!!!!! :blink:

Elphaba

HAHA ... speaking of CT ... how about the St. Ann's Loyalaires ... ring a bell Elphie????

:-)