Corps names that wouldn't work today

Can't believe no one has mentioned these:

84th Bucktail Regiment (what happened to the first 83? I'd be concerned)

neat corps from Emporium, PA,..............named after a famed Civil War Infantry that was nicknamed the "bucktail regiment" as they wore bucktails on their hats as a regimental badge of honor,.................

• 1 month later...

i always thought the most unintentionally hilarious corps name was a corps from Quebec, the Offensive Lions. They were around, I think, in the 80's maybe even as late as the 90's. I guess the translation was unfortunate.

i always thought the most unintentionally hilarious corps name was a corps from Quebec, the Offensive Lions. They were around, I think, in the 80's maybe even as late as the 90's. I guess the translation was unfortunate.

LOL, my Senior corps watched a few hours of DCI East Prelims in 1979 on the way to a show and saw them. One guy was asking what we thought of "Offensive" and we wondered what Les #### he was talking about. :tongue:

Reminds me of the 80s Quebec Sr corps L'Odyssee.. Or to be short Les ODD.... or 70s version Les Diplomates (Les Dips).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

How about "The Thing", now Pioneer. The General Butler Vagabonds are one of the weirdest names I heard. There was a corps from Maine called "The Corps". They marched in black and white uniforms like the generic labels at a supermarket. I still remember the Offensive Lions from Canada. They marched 8 bass drums one year!

The "Spear Heads" from Brooklyn NY. Some really good talent came from that corps. Wouldn't work today though.

The "Suburbanette's" from Nashua NH. Great guard, auful name.

"Vacationland Sweethearts". No disrespect, but ooooh man.

The "Coppertones"... again, no disrepect. I know some of these guys.

There's more....

I'm on a roll here.... The 507 HORNETS although an excellent drum corps, had a name that possibly would not work today. They beat BLUE ROCK once and I believe they became the CROSSMEN in a merger.

Hmmm... wonder what people would think about Crossmen in todays overly PC world.

IIRC 507 and Crossmen come from a sponsor AL Post #507 John Wesley Cross - Norwood, PA. And 507 Hornets merged with Keystone Regiment to become Crossmen.

How about St. Ignatius going co-ed to form "New Image" from the 80's? What would have happened if they lasted into today. "25 year old Image" doesn't quite have a ring to it. Good thing they switched to Sound of Long Island.

Another related corps name, albeit short-lived, was Free Delivery. They were to be a junior corps based out of Long Island in 1991. I believe that the corps founders were hanging out one night and ordered pizza to come up with the name. They merged with the Sound of Long Island, who had already merged with Nightbeat out of New Jersey. They used the color guard from the Erie Excalibur late in the season to form, "Free Delivery of the Nightbeat Sound of Long Island Excalibur".

The name Limited Edition was chosen because the corps wanted a title that showed a change in style from year to year. The name is also the reason why I chose to march there- I LOVED it!

IIRC, Limited Edition was formed during that period when it appeared that corporate sponsorship was the future of drum corps. It's no accident that The Limited (stores) is located in Columbus, Ohio, too!