DCA Crowd

I performed with Minnesota Brass and I remember Saturday having a lot better crowd than Sunday. Maybe it was just because we were told not to expect any applause at all, but it seemed like half the crowed jumped out of their seats instantly at the end of the show. Sunday just didn't feel as good.

...Either MCL or Chops (forget which) did their show again Sunday so it could be recorded.

Yes, Jim, it was Music City Legend. In 2006, we were invited to perform again Sunday afternoon (in the semi-warm sunshine!) following the alumni corps, so that a recording could be made. The CorpsVets were to appear in Finals that evening and thus were not "recalled".

2006 - Ernesto

2010 - Earl

2014 - E-gads

Edited by K2SMA

I blame age. We are just too old now to "leap out of our seats" What if we break a hip?

juuuuuust kiddin'

:angel1:

Sad thing, about age...... your mind says "leap out of seat".....2 secs later, the message travels your nervous system to the involved family of muscles....followed by a creaking groan like a ship breaking up on the waves....followed by a slooooow rise from the chair after one or two false starts....followed by finally making it up as the corps and crowd both by now have gone silent.....followed by the inevitable silence-breaking "in-your-face-loud" breaking of wind.

I don't think so.......

Joe

Edited by JoeDz

I performed with Minnesota Brass and I remember Saturday having a lot better crowd than Sunday. Maybe it was just because we were told not to expect any applause at all, but it seemed like half the crowed jumped out of their seats instantly at the end of the show. Sunday just didn't feel as good.

"not to expect any applause"........um, thanks for reinforcing earlier point!

two issues here - one I've already covered about staff yelling...

as for the audience not being as reactive, yes the weather didn't help, but the reality might better be realized by comparing a dca audience... average age 55? more? average drum corps experience and knowledge? EXTENSIVE... compared to dci audience... 40ish bando parents screaming for their kids - have little knowledge of what is difficult and what isn't and really don't care about much other than their own kids... (hard to blame them - same way I react at the 7 year old twin grandsons football game)

A during the show standing O during a dca championship far exceeds any standing O anywhere else because they are the exception and happen so rarely... I really think it only happened in Kidsgrove's show and Empire with possibly a few other exceptions...

... but if they are waiting for those "difficult" moments, then why were they not jumping out of their seats when MBI or the Bucs were on the field performing? Do they really think that Kidsgrove and Empire were the only ones that had anything difficult enough to jump out of their seats?

I make the argument that they are exactly like the DCI crowd... except they are only cheering for their home team because they know the people involved in those organizations. We can deny it all we want, but I think the crowd reaction will change when we move to Maryland. I'm not saying Empire won't entertain, but I think other groups will get better reactions when some group's faithfuls are further away.

... but if they are waiting for those "difficult" moments, then why were they not jumping out of their seats when MBI or the Bucs were on the field performing? Do they really think that Kidsgrove and Empire were the only ones that had anything difficult enough to jump out of their seats?

I make the argument that they are exactly like the DCI crowd... except they are only cheering for their home team because they know the people involved in those organizations. We can deny it all we want, but I think the crowd reaction will change when we move to Maryland. I'm not saying Empire won't entertain, but I think other groups will get better reactions when some group's faithfuls are further away.

Yet in Reading, PA, we still got the biggest reaction. :angel1:

Yet in Reading, PA, we still got the biggest reaction. :angel1:

But did Reading get a good crowd reaction as well? My point wasn't that Empire won't get a big crowd reaction (or even the biggest), but that it has hurt some of the other reactions that the Rochester faithful support their corps. I admit that I still react to groups a marched with more than groups a was rivals with, back in the day.

I'm not saying Empire won't entertain, but I think other groups will get better reactions when some group's faithfuls are further away.

In 1996, in Rochester, the Empire Statesmen got the biggest ovation at Finals..... but the audience reaction for the Caballeros' performance was a very, very close second.

In 2006, the Caballeros got the biggest crowd reaction of the night at Finals in Rochester, certainly from my vantage point... and also won the voting in the Fan Favorite contest held that year.

In 2007, the Buccaneers' ovation at Finals darn near shook the stadium.... in Rochester.

And the Statesmen, just about every time I have seen them over the years at shows other than in Rochester, have generated either THE biggest, or close to the biggest, audience reaction.

So... IMO.... I don't think "home town crowds" really have anything to do... or at the very least, much to do....with the equation here. I think it probably has more to do with which corps deliver the goods for the paying customers at a given show.

Here's your DCA history lesson. This is about the 70s, when some of you were still in diapers.

DCA championships were held at Aquinas/Holleder Stadium in Rochester 1969-1976 (except 1972). It was a U-shaped football stadium, seating ~20,000.

Prelims and Finals were both held on Sunday. People came early, and stayed until the last drop was drained. The sport of DCA tailgating originated in the coarse-graveled parking lot.

Beer was sold, not only at the concession stands, but also hawked in the aisles. Genesee Cream Ale was the most popular brand.

True DCA aficionados did not remain long in their reserved seats. They congregated, by the hundreds, at the fence in front of the track. In close proximity to the front sideline, which was unencumbered by any pit instrumentation.

The hawkers zeroed in on this pack, realizing that sales of Genesee Cream Ale would be brisk.

One might describe this fist-pumping horde as "rowdy", but they only served as a catalyst to incite the rest of the DCA congregation.

The stands were packed, back to the finish-line endzone.

And the atmosphere of DCA used to be anything but "subdued".

In 1996, in Rochester, the Empire Statesmen got the biggest ovation at Finals..... but the audience reaction for the Caballeros' performance was a very, very close second.

In 2006, the Caballeros got the biggest crowd reaction of the night at Finals in Rochester, certainly from my vantage point... and also won the voting in the Fan Favorite contest held that year.

In 2007, the Buccaneers' ovation at Finals darn near shook the stadium.... in Rochester.

And the Statesmen, just about every time I have seen them over the years at shows other than in Rochester, have generated either THE biggest, or close to the biggest, audience reaction.

So... IMO.... I don't think "home town crowds" really have anything to do... or at the very least, much to do....with the equation here. I think it probably has more to do with which corps deliver the goods for the paying customers at a given show.

04 the only corps that came close to large crowd reaction to Empire was Renegades. In 2005 I would call it a 3 way tie between Bucs,Cabs and Empire for crowd reaction.

No doubt the home town fans of Rochester love their Statesmen and the Statesmen fans will follow them wherever finals.