DCA Crowd

And yet I think that would be incredibly boring. To the point that I wouldn't pay to come see drum corps anymore.

Well for once Liz I am in agreement with you.

Unless its the MARINE corps band. Those guys rock out.

Back to the subject matter at hand.

All of these artistic based,,,,, please the judges shows are for someone,,they are just not for me and by the stoic crowds at DCA over the last few years I would have to say a large part of the audience is not into them either.

Of course when you perform something to the high level of execution like Bucs or the mini corps from Indiana,,you can have a artistically based show and still receive high praise from the audiences. Drum corps fans appreciate high level of execution in shows regardless of the programing style.

Answers, thoughts, comments, I'm really curious to hear what people think IS recognizable and should be played...

How about 3 Blind Mice, Happy Birthday, Here Comes the Bride, For He's a Jolly Good Fellow, Row, Row,Row Your Boat....the list goes on and on...

How about 3 Blind Mice, Happy Birthday, Here Comes the Bride, For He's a Jolly Good Fellow, Row, Row,Row Your Boat....the list goes on and on...

No imagination huh? :spitting:

Some people have mentioned corps should be playing songs people know and recognize and all that earlier in the thread. That won't make a difference in the long run. Drum corps is competing with the likes of Avatar. Drum corps may have props, but special effects? Not so much.

To whom should the music be recognizable? Which generation? The young girls in the audience probably think Justin Beiber is recognizable and the older folks would say WHO? Not everyone knows what is being played on Broadway and yes, many people don't listen to classical. I am not a fan of country and yes, I know many, many people would consider it to be something they recognize if they heard it out on the field.....

Answers, thoughts, comments, I'm really curious to hear what people think IS recognizable and should be played...

I think, more often that not, how it's designed makes it work. Hell, look at Spartacus two years ago with Phantom. I knew the stuff from 81 and 82, but a lot of newer fans didn't. It's hard to even find recordings of it.

But it was designed in a way that everyone got it, felt the emotion and power, and it was one of the biggest crowd reactions of any drum corps crowd I've ever seen, DCI or DCA.

fans don't have to know...it just has to engage them

That was my point. For all the posts about if the corps played things that were more easily recognized by the audiences, the crowds would return. I don't see that as the answer.

I think, more often that not, how it's designed makes it work. Hell, look at Spartacus two years ago with Phantom. I knew the stuff from 81 and 82, but a lot of newer fans didn't. It's hard to even find recordings of it.

But it was designed in a way that everyone got it, felt the emotion and power, and it was one of the biggest crowd reactions of any drum corps crowd I've ever seen, DCI or DCA.

fans don't have to know...it just has to engage them

....fans don't have to know...it just has to engage them.........WELL SAID :spitting:

I've been a Cabs fan since 1960...........can't name every tune they play but..........just something about that Latin music and their style that just gets my heart pumpin.......

Again Jeff...WELL SAID.

That was my point. For all the posts about if the corps played things that were more easily recognized by the audiences, the crowds would return. I don't see that as the answer.

well, that is up to the corps. current design trends that we see bleed down for DCi continue to move away from that fan friendly feel.

we'll probably not get back to the grass roots levels of the 50's and 60's. But I think it is possible to tweak a few things and gain some local interest ( and Lewisburg does a great job of packing locals in) and maybe get back some fans that left because they were bored.

Yep. Pretty thin crowd and subdued. I blame how late Labor Day was this year.

I took a picture of the Finals crowd around 2/3 into the night from the back of the field. LOTS of empty seats compared to 2008. Didn't stay for 2009, so can't say.

Looked a lot like DCM 2004 after the big boys walked after 2003. Like every 3rd seat in the mid-section was empty, and thinned as you went out. Maybe it filled for the last two corps?

And I would agree the crowd pretty much sat on their hands for EVERYONE. It suprised me. I felt out of place wanting to stand-up mid-show to cheer anyone. Maybe make the stadium coffee stronger?

We get MUCH more enthusiastic crowds at the midwest marching band circuit shows when Kilties go on in exhibition. Serious baby-throwing there. For that matter, the Racine Raiders (semi-pro) half time performances are my absolute favorite performances, were many people come to the football game to see the Kilties. Hometown crowd, yes, but multiple ovations. A season of those kinds of crowds makes Rochester kinda anticlimactic. We do exhibitions at those HS band shows and as we come off the field, you often see HS kids along the front railing doing the "we're not worthy" bow to us as we troop the stands. Little kids want you to autograph their program book. They want a picture with you. How cool is that? I'll take those performance opportunities ANY day over some of the competitive shows.

Edited by dannyboy

And yet I think that would be incredibly boring. To the point that I wouldn't pay to come see drum corps anymore.

Same here..... Few years back my parade/standstill corps was asked for suggestions to improve the corps. More than one person said to get away from the standard parade march stuff and open it up (at least at standstills). Won't say we're up to 2010 music but it's been more fun to play.

We did "Ride of the Valkyries", "William Tell Overture", "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Bacchanale." Stuff EVERYONE has heard. And people liked it -- and made a point to tell us so.

Lesson learned?