Propane tank

BanditKir

A propane thank that blows off :angel1: will surely create effects :tongue: and add impact :ph34r: .........hummmm...........just kiddin'.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A propane thank that blows off :spitting: will surely create effects :spitting: and add impact :worthy: .........hummmm...........just kiddin'.

:spitting: haha In that case, you can only do it once :spitting:

Edited by Fastone

I was going to ask if it were in G or Bb. You can't flame me, this is the propane forum and it wouldn't be safe.

As Larry the Cable Guy would say, that's funny, I don't care who you are. :spitting:

Propane tanks as well as other metal implements are used to create effects and add impact.

A brake drum produces a similar sound and does not exhibit the same inflammatory characteristics. Unless it's from a 1972 Pinto.

If I remember correctly, Spike Jones used a set of tuned brake drums. They don't have the projection problem that vibes do.

Edited by The Oz

Will you finally have that tank valve removed or what? :thumbup:

I'm no perc expert but I think a whole tank and one that is sawed in half would have totally different sounds and should be interesting to experiment with.

My $00.02

Good luck

I guess I'll give a little update... after a bunch of research and talking to some confused propane dealers ("you want to do what???") it looks like I'm going to have to remove the valve myself after making sure the tank is empty. I'll be attempting it this weekend and I'll try to take some pictures when it's safe and document the process in case anyone else wants to know how it goes.

And yes, I had considered using a brake drum but A. we didn't have one and B. it isn't quite the sound I want. I have recently found a brake drum that we can use so if I can't figure out a way to dismantle the propane tank I'll just use that. Ideally I'd like to use both but we'll see.

Small propane cylinders are stocked inside every Walgreens, and larger propane tanks are racked up outside every Piggly-Wiggly. Does this scare you?

Here's what the propane professionals have to say:

Propane Explosions 101

Propane tanks do not explode. They do not implode and nor do they rupture or come apart on their own. In fact, bringing a propane tank to the point of "explosion" is a tremendously difficult and time consuming task that's not as simple as most people think. Many people believe that a propane tank "explosion" can occur with the slightest of ease. This is not the case whatsoever and people should understand that a propane tank, operating under normal circumstances will not explode or rupture

Propane Cylinder Strength

The integrity of a propane bottle needs to be understood before exploring the issues that can lead to a ruptured container. This is extremely important to understood because the likelihood of a cylinder explosion is exponentially remote even if cylinders are extremely damaged by forceful blows to the container shell. By design, all propane gas containers are manufactured to withstand extensive external damage. Although the integrity of a cylinder may be compromised due to forceful impact, the containment of liquid propane is secured, which is factored into the engineering and construction of these cylinders.

Now, if you're still worried, get a removal tool from a tire shop and take out the core of the Schrader valve.

Small propane cylinders are stocked inside every Walgreens, and larger propane tanks are racked up outside every Piggly-Wiggly. Does this scare you?

Here's what the propane professionals have to say:

Propane Explosions 101

Propane tanks do not explode. They do not implode and nor do they rupture or come apart on their own. In fact, bringing a propane tank to the point of "explosion" is a tremendously difficult and time consuming task that's not as simple as most people think. Many people believe that a propane tank "explosion" can occur with the slightest of ease. This is not the case whatsoever and people should understand that a propane tank, operating under normal circumstances will not explode or rupture

Propane Cylinder Strength

The integrity of a propane bottle needs to be understood before exploring the issues that can lead to a ruptured container. This is extremely important to understood because the likelihood of a cylinder explosion is exponentially remote even if cylinders are extremely damaged by forceful blows to the container shell. By design, all propane gas containers are manufactured to withstand extensive external damage. Although the integrity of a cylinder may be compromised due to forceful impact, the containment of liquid propane is secured, which is factored into the engineering and construction of these cylinders.

Now, if you're still worried, get a removal tool from a tire shop and take out the core of the Schrader valve.

:thumbup:

why roll the dice on this one - I don't think using the tank as a percussion feature would fit under 'operating under normal circumstance'.

and I'll agree on the 'exponentially remote' possibility, but with the right combination of fuel, oxygen and ignition source, the unthinkable can happen - been there, and cleaned up after the unthinkable.

not trying to add any drama here, just trying to keep the drum solo from being the tragic lead story on the evening news.

And Banditkir - while I would advise against a DIY solution here (actually against federal/NFPA recommendations and regulation, but I won't tell on you), I wish you good luck with finding 'the sound'! Brake drums are a great alternative, and while you may get the same goofy look from the salvage yard guy, most of them will gladly point you to a pile of them to bang on to find the note of your choice.

Just don't strike any matches when the valve is open. :thumbup:

Is this conversation really still happening? More, are people really concerned? I use propane tanks in shows all the time and I know many many many other people that do as well. I usually put a coat or two of black paint on it to get a sound I more prefer out of it. It's not going to bust. Just take a tank that's someone's used for a long time and believes to be empty as it doesn't work on their grill anymore. Open the valve and leave it open in an open space for like a week. Then, beat the crap out of it and enjoy.