Propane tank

BanditKir

Edited by jonnyboy

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be done during the 1812 Overture :tongue:

There is an easy way to know if there is any propane left in the tank. Pour warm water on the tank. If there is still propane, it will develope a frost line on the side of the tank at the level of the and propane inside. This is an old trick to see how much propane you have left for a BBq to make sure you wont run out halfway through.

Also, if the valve is frozen and you cant turn it, there should also be a small bleeder screw on the side of the valve. This is the 10% (or 90% depoending on who you ask) fill bleeder. Try unscrewing that and releasing the pressure. Even if there is a small volume of propane in the tank, you can safely bleed it our through this screw or even by loosening the valve to let it slowly excape. To be a flamable mixture in the air, you would have to have a minimum of 2.15%(maximum of 9.6%) propane to air ratio. Meaning that if you have more than 98.85% air, it will not burn. The only place you will have that percentage is right at the valve. Keep ignition source away from the valve.

Also, in the air, without an ignition source, the propane would have to get up to 920 degrees before it will self ignite. If it is more than 920 degrees out, you have more problems than venting propane out of a small cylinder. Geeze the stuff I had to learn to be licensed to dispense propane has come in handy 22 years later. I actually had a valve on a motorhome let loose on me when I was filling it. It vented about 12 gallons of propane in just a few seconds. I was basically in a cloud of propane. I felt high, then got a headache, but no flame.

• 2 weeks later...
This seems like a lot of effort to produce a sound which ought to be available using any decent synthesizer. Come to think of it, most of those heavy, bulky percussion instruments from prior centuries could also be eliminated. The open positions would of course be filled by vocalists and woodwinds.

this is getting old common sense would tell you to open the valve & beat it till its dented

Edited by oldschool1180