Propane tank

BanditKir

So since I've had some success asking my random questions on here I thought I'd try one more...

I recently acquired a propane tank that I would like to use in my pit... The problem is I'm not sure exactly what needs to be done to make sure it's safe to use. I was told the tank was empty but I'm not sure how to check this. The valve itself seems to be rusted shut so if I needed to open it then it would probably take a decent amount of work.

Any suggestions? I don't want to give it to someone to use until I'm completely sure it's safe to be struck on the outside. If there is no leakage from the tank what are the dangers of striking it with a mallet? It feels empty to me but I'm no expert on propane tanks.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So since I've had some success asking my random questions on here I thought I'd try one more...

I recently acquired a propane tank that I would like to use in my pit... The problem is I'm not sure exactly what needs to be done to make sure it's safe to use. I was told the tank was empty but I'm not sure how to check this. The valve itself seems to be rusted shut so if I needed to open it then it would probably take a decent amount of work.

Any suggestions? I don't want to give it to someone to use until I'm completely sure it's safe to be struck on the outside. If there is no leakage from the tank what are the dangers of striking it with a mallet? It feels empty to me but I'm no expert on propane tanks.

Is this an alto or baritone propane tank?

I believe the only absolute sure way to ensure it is safe would be to take it to your local gas distributor, tell them what you intend to do, and have them remove the valve and stem completely - since you cant ensure the tank is empty and you should NOT try to remove the stem yourself. The tank should also be rendered permanently unusable as a pressurized container, since you intend to use it as a prop/percussion instrument.

...that's the 'proper' method....

Is this an alto or baritone propane tank?

I was going to ask if it were in G or Bb. You can't flame me, this is the propane forum and it wouldn't be safe.

Just take it to a gas place and make sure it's empty.

Shake it around and make sure you don't hear anything in it.

Throw it on a snare claw or hang it from a gong stand.

We also took a broken cymbal arm, taped it up, and made it into a hell of a mallet.

WHY would you NEED a propane tank?

WHY would you NEED a propane tank?

Propane tanks as well as other metal implements are used to create effects and add impact.

You've watched the ending of "Jaws" too often.

Propane, or any other gas, will not explode from impacting its container. It needs to mix with oxygen and be ignited.

(I am no stranger to propane tanks. Search the archives of the brass forum.)

Edited by HornsUp