Why not more Big-Band Jazz?

Re complete songs, I think corps have been far better lately about playing straight songs than they were earlier in the decade. Compare Madison 2010 to Phantom 2005 to see the right and wrong ways (respectively) to handle arranging Rhapsody in Blue. Crown this year was three pieces pretty straight up.

Re big band, yes please, bring it on. I've been advocating for BD 2011 to do an Ellington show. And since I know David Gibbs hangs on my every word here...

I couldn't agree with you more... And now that I think about maybe this has a little something to do with my feelings of being reunited with my corps... After the 2009 BD Production 1930 I honestly did feel that I got some of that old Jazz feel! Sure there was a bit of sound snippeting but I smiled during the "Happy Days" section and felt a whole lot of old feelings... BUT... Drum Corps is not for us to feel our old feelings it is for the MM's to create their own old feelings... What I feel about what I did in corps has little to do with what was done in DC before or after me... I am sure it is the same for MM's today!

I couldn't agree with you more... And now that I think about maybe this has a little something to do with my feelings of being reunited with my corps... After the 2009 BD Production 1930 I honestly did feel that I got some of that old Jazz feel! Sure there was a bit of sound snippeting but I smiled during the "Happy Days" section and felt a whole lot of old feelings... BUT... Drum Corps is not for us to feel our old feelings it is for the MM's to create their own old feelings... What I feel about what I did in corps has little to do with what was done in DC before or after me... I am sure it is the same for MM's today!

This is the fine point on which we disagree, and possibly one that is enhanced by my being a fan, and not a MM, for nearly all of DCIs years, and by the fact that I've not missed any years since 1983. I don't interpret from any position other than as one of a fan (albeit except for a couple of years of marching).

What, am I supposed to clap for the kids' "own feelings" experience even if what the arrangers write for them to play is not satisfying to me? Yes, I'll clap for them but, I pay just as much as any MM to have "an experience" and I'm entitled to that each time I pay to attend a show. I pay so only the MM can feel satisfied after a show? I disagree.

If writers/arrangers could find that magic where neither group has to sacrifice for the other then I think we'll start attracting fans again.

Until then only the MM are satisfied (generally) and fans are more and more absent.

What a wonderful post. Speaking from a drummer's position.... (Yeah, I know, d*** drummer.)

Don't apologize for that. I'm a drummer. I'm also the arranger for our little corps. I've loved dissonance from the time I got to dive into the score for Stravinsky's Rite of Spring (I was 15 at the time). BD's arrangement of Kenton's music left me cold--and I'm part of the prime audience* for that particular music!

* Meaning I know the original tunes and greatly enjoy them.

Please. You can only speak for yourself. You have no idea what anyone else thinks. Stop trying to speak for everyone on DCP. :blink:

He's just having fun with us. Pay him no never mind, although it is fun to try to figure out the meaning of most of what he rights.

Think: Half-thought word-tricks and have fun!