Favorite DCA Personality

Let me add a few of my favorite women in DCA....

Beth Fabrizio...she was a conductor and leader when I was with CRU in 1990. I was in awe of her and she was good to look at too! Great conductor, had to watch her when playing Channel One Suite.

Bonnie Ott....I do want to agree that Renegades have positively pushed the envelope and having a tremendous soloist like Bonnie is great for DCA.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do want to say that my original post was meant to be about personalities that are still with us. I did not mean to disrespect the memory of Vince Bruni or any of the GREATS of DCA. That would be another post as we sadly miss those who have gone to be in Gods corps!

Having said all that, at the end of the day, for me, the one true "god sent" in my personal/drumcorps life is none other than,................................ Mr. Bill Mcrath Jr!!! This guy is a living legend and in my opinion, drumcorps personified.

After seeing my post today, i was mortified to realize that i didn't mention Joey Cavallaro, :tongue: another Mr.McGrath deciple, Joey is nothing but good for this activity as well as a true friend to me and a DCA personality for sure! anyone remember I@E 90? Joey did the Wizard of Oz on snare drum, Witches nose and all, how's'bout Joey as the Joker at 92 I@E, not too shabby. Speaking of 92 I@E, Joey also can lay claim to DCAs' 1st 100 @ I@E(given by none other than Rick Rogers..RIP, a drumcorps legend/personality in his own rite!), go DrumMachine :tongue:

D.A.M.

-

-

+ Joe Guadagnino, The Keck bros., Frank Nash, Kevin Murphy, "Swerv"(the westshore guy), even my nemesis "Skellequad"

Edited by nngs9

Okay, Ray ... retro - huh? ... my fav DCA personality was the one and only WALTER KELLY ... what FUN we had with him on the starting line at many shows ... stealing his pistol ... breaking his pencils ... hiding his "squawk" box ... he was indeed the most animated Chief Judge that I ever met ... and he was often befuddled by our antics ...

He was, and always will be, one of the most colorful DCA personalities ...

:-)

No question on Walter Kelly - my favorite Walter moment is still 1980 DCA finals at Hershey with Westshore's pigeons mulling around the field.

Absolute classic.

Since the season is over and it seems like the postings will slow down a bit.....Who is the person or persons that you feel are the Personalities of DCA?

I'm choosing.....The Allen Brothers (Jim, Donny and Tom), Jimmy Russo, Dave Bruni, Frank Ponzo. I don't think I need to go into why but I have the utmost respect for ALL of them!

Mickey Petrone - one of the Godfathers of DCA

Mickey Petrone - one of the Godfathers of DCA

actually he was against it at first. just sayin............that's real history if anybody care. but a great man

pardon my "off topic" story about my friend Cozy Baker:

Cozy was my houseguest for several weeks after we returned from DCA in 2008. He spent most nights on my computer, writing articles that covered DCA for both DCP and Drumcorpsworld. We both maintained our independent "life scedules". I was sitting in my chair watching T.V. as Cozy was typing away when all of a sudden He jumped up from the desk and ran to the kitchen! I saw a blur pass by the T.V.!! Cozy had pre-heated the oven to the required temperature, in preperation for a frozen pizza. Unbeknownest to Cozy, I stored several pots and pans AND a plastic cullender in the stove! I went to the kitchen and removed a big blob of yellow plastic from the oven, held it in the air with a pot-holder and announced to Cozy: "Your Cullender is done". LOLOL!! I called Dominos and ordered a pizza. cause THATS how we roll.

I miss him every day. DCA had no greater friend and supporter than Cozy Baker. Rest assured, He was with us in spirit at this year's championships! I saw him in a rainbow when Kilties took the field saturday. I saw him when Cincinnati Tradition took the field for their FIRST DCA appearance. I saw him when Corpvets hit us all with a wall of sound! And I saw him when Renegades maintained their top ten status. I saw him when Empire Statesmen fired on ALL cylinders, doing just as Mr. B would have them do: ENTERTAIN the Audience!

Now: Back to our topic, with my thanks for your patience! :angel1:

Wow!! I'm in tears. I miss Cozy too.

George Parks

let's let this thread rest for a while on that one....