Raising DCI's Ageout Limit

. . .well, there's a DCA Pacific and some DCA corps in Texas already; it's probably waiting for you (or other interested parties in the AZ area) to start something local up, just as most of the newer DCA corps out that way (Vigilantes, Gulf Coast Sound, Austin Stars) did.

Yep. We'd have to start from scratch. Does DCA have any starter grants to get the thing going...you know, so a new corps could get a battery? some pit equipment, perhaps? We could have our members purchase their own uniforms and horns.

. . .well, there's a DCA Pacific and some DCA corps in Texas already; it's probably waiting for you (or other interested parties in the AZ area) to start something local up, just as most of the newer DCA corps out that way (Vigilantes, Gulf Coast Sound, Austin Stars) did.

Bawk, I'm pretty sure there is not an official DCA Pacific region... yet.

There is a DCA South (includes CorpsVets, Alliance and others) and DCA Central (includes MN Brass, Kilties, Govenaires and others) region.

A DCA Texas/DCA Southwest would be nice someday.

And maybe, just for Tom, a DCA One Mile From His House. :angel1:

Yep. We'd have to start from scratch. Does DCA have any starter grants to get the thing going...you know, so a new corps could get a battery? some pit equipment, perhaps? We could have our members purchase their own uniforms and horns.

Why not ask the individual corps themselves how they got off the ground... what funding sources they have used, etc.?

EVERY corps participating in DCA "started from scratch." Heck, the Empire Statesmen "started from scratch" in 1983 and for many years have had one of the best business models I have ever seen from any drum corps.

Honestly, Tom.... what you said sounds like a cheap shot at DCA, since I'm assuming you know full well that "DCA" as an entity is not a full-time organization with full-time staff, as is DCI.

The members of the DCA executive committee have full-time jobs/careers (with the exception of one person who is now retired). Their work for DCA and its member corps is a part-time commitment of time and resources, for all intents and purposes.

My point is...when it comes to starting a DCA/all-age corps, to a decent degree it's up to the corps themselves to go out and get funding. Of course there's guidance from the "home office"... and from other corps who have been there, done that. But come on now.

this would be a different opinion from you. Previously, you claimed DCIs membership and audiences are waning because of expenses. The addition of a weekend only all-ages/alumni circuit would definitely add more audience and more membership.

Also, I have no qualms about adding a Midwest based all age/alumni circuit that is weekend only. I think it could make it and also plug more corps into standing DCI shows.

Maybe give Kilties and MBI some company!

if you're talking ages and not mixing the two, then yes, DCI and DCA should do what they do in those regards. granted DCI has many other issues to fix, DCA a lot less.

and by the way.....DCI has an all age thing going. look ayt their site. they allow all age corps to perform at shows, and they get scored on DCA sheets.

DCA has a central division...I think they ran 5 shows this summer, even had a corps from Texas show up. DCA South had a few too.

whenit comes to ages, leave DCI where it is, let DCA do their thing. DCA is slowly but surely growing around the country. It was just 20 years ago at best you had 2 corps that weren't from the Northeast. Now you have more corps from outside the NE than you do in the NE.

which is why it would be all age and alumni corps. A new circuit perhaps...based out of the Midwest. More show potential there than anywhere else in the country.

there's on there. it's called DCA Central

Why not ask the individual corps themselves how they got off the ground... what funding sources they have used, etc.?

EVERY corps participating in DCA "started from scratch." Heck, the Empire Statesmen "started from scratch" in 1983 and for many years have had one of the best business models I have ever seen from any drum corps.

Honestly, Tom.... what you said sounds like a cheap shot at DCA, since I'm assuming you know full well that "DCA" as an entity is not a full-time organization with full-time staff, as is DCI.

The members of the DCA executive committee have full-time jobs/careers (with the exception of one person who is now retired). Their work for DCA and its member corps is a part-time commitment of time and resources, for all intents and purposes.

My point is...when it comes to starting a DCA/all-age corps, to a decent degree it's up to the corps themselves to go out and get funding. Of course there's guidance from the "home office"... and from other corps who have been there, done that. But come on now.

Fran, I honestly didn't know. No cheap shot intended.

But DCI excludes a substantially larger chunk of willing marchers as well, and no one ever seems to complain about it: young adults in the 22-26 age range.

But this has been discussed at least once (and probably more than that) out here on the DCP boards - as always, with passionate arguments both for and against. I'm not up for doing the research to ferret out the threads, but I do recall reading (and posting, I think) on this topic.

Truthfully, you could set the age limit at 28 and sooner or later, someone will post saying it should be raised to 29. Let's face it: what self-respecting jump-and-die drum corps animal wouldn't want to march for just one more year?

With no disrespect for those of you sitting on the cusp, imo the current age limit is fine. You've had your fun, time to move along! :angel1:

peace,

Fred O.

Edited by drumno5

It's for the kids. Let it stay that way. We have DCA, and it's better than ever. (no dis on the kids, work yo thang! ;) )