What the fans want...2011

Bbs are fine

Hard drill is fine, good even. It just can't get in the way.

I wanna hear good music, like, with connected phrases. It doesn't have to be a tune I already know, or something easily recognlizable, but it has to be something with more than one short phrase at a time separated by long pit and drum doodles. Drum features are cool, but they shouldn't be mixed in evenly with stuff. I wanna hear complete phrases connected together musically with loud moments where needed, but not forced. I want to hear less synth being used as a crutch, but sound effects, I have no problem with. I wanna see demanding drill AND demanding music. It is indeed possible to make it engaging at the same time! There are elements of old era and new era in there... Basically

Old:

Pros-

complete music. No broken up sliced and diced arrangements. Much appreciated.

shows that may have connected themes, or things the music has in common, it doesnt have to have a complicated story. Though, I have no problem with complicated stories if I can enjoy the program with or without it.

cons-

tone quality sacrificed for volume. Only play as loud as you can with a good sound, which is pretty dang loud, you just have to inch it up and work on it instead of blowing your chops out.'

intonation was pretty terrible usually

Balance.... tons of stickouts in the days of old

I know we can blame technology and recordings for some of this, but you old timers know it happened more than you want to say.

drill wasn't engaging. The point of drum corps is engaging music AND visual. If you don't have both, go borrow some of BD's chairs and hang out in a concert hall.

Way too many "forced" loud moments. like they just tried to stick as many impacts in as they could. I feel like they're desperately begging for crowd reaction rather than earning it with their program.

New:

Pros-

Generally better music education. You hear tone quality, balance, and generally good ensemble practices. They're teaching you to be brass players

Better drill (with some corps)

Better attention to detail in technique uniformity

Much more demand placed on the performers

performed at a higher level

84 man hornlines? I think yes.

Cons-

over narration. Like, one or two words here or there is okay, but I don't wanna hear your lifes story... or a talk show... or YOWZA

electronic crutches. No need for low end synth. I understand if it is like a drone for mood, and the hornline isn't playing or something, or it is while they are playing pp and build and you can tell it is a low end synth, but at an impact, I want a natural horn sound. Please. BD seemed like the were doubling the whole chord sometimes this past year.

Chopped up arrangements. Nothing makes me angrier, than chopped up musical arrangement. There are some people who don't do this, but the majority of DCI are often culprits of this.

too many props. I understand one or two things, but Blue Stars 09's entire half field full of sewing machines, or BD's chairs and mirrors, just makes the field look dirty.

Get rid of all those cons, and combine the pros, and you have what I would like to see in 2011.

You my man, know what you want. Sweet!

Whoever wins best brass has to have there tubas on the shoulders for more than 6 minutes of the show.... please :shutup:

• Like 1

Whoever wins best brass has to have there tubas on the shoulders for more than 6 minutes of the show.... please :shutup:

whoever wins brass can't have thunderous goo playing the tuba part...

Edited by skewerz
  • Like 2

ill second that!

:thumbup:

• Like 1

I want other fans, particularly on dcp, to stop thinking they are especially attuned to what "the audience" finds "melodic", "musical", etc to what they find "the audience" doesn't find "melodic", "musical", etc.

Thankfully, in the stands, I find decent people, top to bottom, and have never had to deal with anything nearing the polemics I see on here.

well, then don't read DCP...or know that until saying what you hate is considered a violation of the guidelines, you may have to up who you ignore :tongue:

• Like 1

well, then don't read DCP...or know that until saying what you hate is considered a violation of the guidelines, you may have to up who you ignore :tongue:

Lots of fans don't read DCP...or I'm trying to be the messenger? Don't mess with me! Love, hugs, music and stuff rules :) Is it ok if I reply to you? :tongue: