What the fans want...2011

'Cause they have paid professional musicians in their ranks, not part-time amateurs who only rehearse during the summer months mostly . . .it's like asking why your favorite high school football team isn't as as talented as your favorite NFL team.

True, but it proves the point that more players does not necessarily mean louder, and that's all I was saying.

True, but it proves the point that more players does not necessarily mean louder, and that's all I was saying.

. . .but, if we transfer that thought over to drum corps adding woodwinds (and keep the premise that drum corps isn't as loud as an orchestra), then the net result there would be less brass players.

Therefore, since we have less brass players (of obviously less talent and volume than professional musicians), we end up with less brass sound on the field.

Well, until we break out the amps. :spitting:

. . .but, if we transfer that thought over to drum corps adding woodwinds (and keep the premise that drum corps isn't as loud as an orchestra), then the net result there would be less brass players.

Therefore, since we have less brass players (of obviously less talent and volume than professional musicians), we end up with less brass sound on the field.

Well, until we break out the amps. :spitting:

Or, the brass players left could get better and produce the same volume as before.

But, people can't possibly improve from the past, right? Like drum corps hasn't gotten any better from the past?

Saying something is a fact doesn't make it so, even if it is in all caps. You can't quantify power, only qualify.

You can use all the fancy words you want, but it's a fact that a woodwind is not capable of producing the volume of a brass instrument. You don't have to like it for it to be true, and you don't have to agree with it for it to be a fact. And yes, volume (which in the context of this discussion = power) can be measured quite easily. As far as "facts" go, I can say it isn't a fact I'm going to die some day simply because it hasn't happened yet, but I would be wrong. Nothing is absolutely proveable via the scientific method, based on the concept that if it can be tested one more time, you have to accept the result COULD be different.

Or, the brass players left could get better and produce the same volume as before.

But, people can't possibly improve from the past, right? Like drum corps hasn't gotten any better from the past?

Sure it's gotten better, but you're also attempting to straw man me with some sort of "the past" dino argument. That's not what the discussion entails right now. :spitting:

Anyway, I'm sure there's some way they could make up for the lost volume with amplification . . .but the talent level and equipment have been fairly consistent the past couple of years, so I don't know that with all other things equal, how much louder you can go with the horn players.

Actually, I can. Orchestras are much louder than drum corps, and they have a lot less brass than drum corps. I wonder why?

Lol, that is hilarious, and it's becoming quite obvious you're talking out of your a** to keep an argument going that really ceased to exist a while ago. Put an orchestra on a football field next to a 150 member drum corps and tell them both to play FFF. The orchestra might as well not even be there.

You can use all the fancy words you want, but it's a fact that a woodwind is not capable of producing the volume of a brass instrument. You don't have to like it for it to be true, and you don't have to agree with it for it to be a fact. And yes, volume (which in the context of this discussion = power) can be measured quite easily. As far as "facts" go, I can say it isn't a fact I'm going to die some day simply because it hasn't happened yet, but I would be wrong. Nothing is absolutely proveable via the scientific method, based on the concept that if it can be tested one more time, you have to accept the result COULD be different.

In "opinion" a fancy word? Oh my.

How do you measure volume, exactly? Your ears? Is any loud good? Are you sure power and volume are the same thing?