What the fans want...2011

An orchestra may create more decibles in an indoor venue than a corps does in an outdoor one, but in any scenario where the two would be measured on equal grounds the DC will win hands down.

Listen, WOOHOO, I have no beef with you, but it seems you're grabbing at straws to play devils advocate. Yes volume can be easily measured and compared and quantified, if you say you don't know how then I really question your credibility, or at the very least the seriousness with which you're approaching this discussion.

Listen, WOOHOO, I have no beef with you, but it seems you're grabbing at straws to play devils advocate. Yes volume can be easily measured and compared and quantified, if you say you don't know how then I really question your credibility, or at the very least the seriousness with which you're approaching this discussion.

Listen, I'm seriously not playing devils advocate. Decibels only measure the quantity of sound, not the quality. I don't see adding in 50 50 woodwinds brass as a viable option, but if it did, I think it would force DCI hornlines to stop playing so out of control and out of balance and start thinking of themselves as a musical ensemble, which I don't hear a whole lot of right now. Is it fun and entertaining? Sure. It could also be a whole lot better to as a whole. There are certain hornlines who do achieve what I am talking about, but not nearly enough.

I think it would force DCI hornlines to stop playing so out of control and out of balance and start thinking of themselves as a musical ensemble, which I don't hear a whole lot of right now.

Well, there's our fundamental difference, then.

I really don't care for the "concert band on a football field/F around the room" philosophy, as I think outdoor playing requires a different set of circumstances and processes than a stationary concert setting would.

No one wants tomatoes splattered on the wall, but if that's the trade-off I get occasionally for more passion and more volume, I'll take it over a controlled forte any day.

Well, there's our fundamental difference, then.

I really don't care for the "concert band on a football field/F around the room" philosophy, as I think outdoor playing requires a different set of circumstances and processes than a stationary concert setting would.

No one wants tomatoes splattered on the wall, but if that's the trade-off I get occasionally for more passion and more volume, I'll take it over a controlled forte any day.

That's fine.

:spitting:

there isn't a single drum corps that could put forth more sound than a top tier orchestra with the same number of performers.

20 well-trained tenor vocalists could give a 50 member hornline a run for its money in terms of pure volume.

a woodwind choir trying to out-volume a drum corps hornline....that's a different story.

For 2011 I would like all corps to hit the field in June at precisely the same level with the same chance at a championship, until of course they prove otherwise. Unfortunately Drum Corps today spots certain corps 5 points just for being who they are. To be sure certain corps are probably actually docked 5 points as well. Into every top corps score is built in the secret "best design team" and "best everything else that has nothing to do with tonights performance" award.

All that matters is what 150 or so performers do for that 11 minutes. Everything else should not be part of any score.