Those interesting or dirty corps secrets

As a member of the audience the night of 89 finals, we ALL felt that BD solist's pain but with all that's been made of it, BDs placement didn't change from semis to finals.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing you refer to didn't happen that way. Yes a corps member was murdered the night before a big show in Detroit in 1971, but it wasn't a member another corps who was responsible. I have good freinds who were in the corps affected and my understanding is that it was party crashers who belonged to a motorcycle gang that were responsible.

Regards,

John

Yeah, I was there...didn't have anything to do with another corps.

Several members of a corps whose colors are green, black and white (and not from Toronto Canada) were arrested over a bet.

Allegedly

One member bet all of his fireworks that other members could not touch Lincoln's nose on Mount Rushmore.

The corps President and still Founder was faced with the prospect of a $1000 dollar fine or two years in prison for each offense. He was quoted as saying "Tell my wife I love her and I'll see her in six years."

Allegedly

In the early 90's I had three guard girls that wanted to try out for a top 12 corps. My guard instructor took them to the try out. The girls made the corps and the (over age) instructor was also offered a position. She was told that being over age was no problem, the corps would work it out. None of the girls marched in that corps.

My corps drumline was cleaner and played a harder book in 1978 than we did in 77. It goes un-noticed because once again we didn't make finals - and our drum score probably wasn't even in the top 12, let alone first place. Go figure.

Regards,

John

Well John, in looking at the recaps, http://www.fromthepressbox.com/19780816div1prelims.htm, you guys were in the top 12 in all drum captions with the exception of a highly suspicious 20th place in P.A. from B.Buck. Does that name ring any bells?

• 2 weeks later...
......you guys were in the top 12 in all drum captions with the exception of a highly suspicious 20th place in P.A. from B.Buck. Does that name ring any bells?

I think the judge's name was Bob Buck. I remember him judging us in 1973 - occasionally afterward.

A friend of mine who marched the season before me in a particular corps told me that he marched over-age and it makes me wonder if there were any over-agers when i marched. What pisses me off is that i have no doubt the director knew he was over an was willing to cheat and let him march. I don't really blame my friend, he just wanted to march.... :tongue:

Hi Don! That stuff was going on in NY alot. It's now something we laugh at. Many corps in our area did that mostly to keep their numbers up but also to maintain their winning ways. I know that it definitely happened near the Rochester area with some corps. Sometimes guys wanted the junior ways and not the senior ways.

A friend of mine who marched the season before me in a particular corps told me that he marched over-age and it makes me wonder if there were any over-agers when i marched. What pisses me off is that i have no doubt the director knew he was over an was willing to cheat and let him march. I don't really blame my friend, he just wanted to march.... :lol:

I remember that all too well in Rochester. The attitude seemed to be if he is overage, let him march until we are caught.....

Hi Don! That stuff was going on in NY alot. It's now something we laugh at. Many corps in our area did that mostly to keep their numbers up but also to maintain their winning ways. I know that it definitely happened near the Rochester area with some corps. Sometimes guys wanted the junior ways and not the senior ways.

I knew it happened in the 70's, but I did not realize it was still happening in the 90's. As far as I know it may still be happening.