A potential fix

I haven't read through the gazillion posts on this subject but I was wondering what people thought of the idea of capping salaries for staff. Example; cap the amount paid for each caption head to $25,000. This will level the playing field for all corps. and in turn save corps a ton of money. Obviously the staff won't like it but if they are truly "educators" they won't mind taking a bullet for the betterment of the whole activity. And if they say, "fine, I'll just go to BOA" then so be it.

My numbers might be off because I do not know what staffs get paid in todays drum corps world, but personally, I think paying someone $100K (I've heard this number related to several individuals) in a not-for-profit activity that is struggling is ridiculous.

I am curious how much some of the people in these "consulting" positions are making. Some of them seem to be involved with tons of corps, and they go to a design meeting or two I guess, and then maybe come around for a week in the summer...

if people are really making $100k, that's ridiculous. I mean, it would be fine if they added that value to the program, but obviously they don't, since some of these corps are trying to take more money from the others.

I believe I have suggested something similar in one of the huge threads, but if not, I have definitely thought about your idea. All the major sports leagues in the US have salary caps for a reason.

I'll teach a drumline for $25,000 a year! Sign me up!

And if they say, "fine, I'll just go to BOA" then so be it.

. . .not to mention that it might give some new designers a chance to shine. For an organization with so many units dedicated to "change", the same people sure do the same thing at the same places a whole lot.

With all frankness, staff pay is way, way down on the list of problems for DCI. Nobody teaches corps for the money, and limiting how much someone can make to a laughably high amount isn't going to fix anything.

With all frankness, staff pay is way, way down on the list of problems for DCI. Nobody teaches corps for the money, and limiting how much someone can make to a laughably high amount isn't going to fix anything.

Agreed. There are corps directors that dont make that much. If.. somehow there are staff being paid as much as the OP says at some corps.. well.. i hope i never see them come crying for money.

Edited by AlexL

Agreed. There are corps directors that dont make that much. If.. somehow there are staff being paid as much as the OP says at some corps.. well.. i hope i never see them come crying for money.

The names i heard are caption heads.

Read through the financial reports for the corps posted on Guidestar.org and find a corps paying a staff member anywhere close to $100K. I do not think you can.

Staff salaries are not itemized on the 990 report. Only the executive director or CFO will be itemized on that form. There's no way to prove it unless you have access to their contracts or the notes attached to the 990's. This information can only be obtained by specifically requesting to see it on a corps by corps basis, directly from the corps itself.

Staff salaries are not itemized on the 990 report. Only the executive director or CFO will be itemized on that form. There's no way to prove it unless you have access to their contracts or the notes attached to the 990's. This information can only be obtained by specifically requesting to see it on a corps by corps basis, directly from the corps itself.

But you can see summary data of the totals for salaries. For example, Regiment in 2007 had a total staff salary amount of $153,590. I doubt they paid 100K to one person.

YEA! in 2008 had salaries for 'program services' of $528,302. This would include all corps salaries plus the amounts paid to staff to run the whole organization, including USSBA.