Lesson Learned From America's Got Talent

over60

I'm sorry if it wasn't obvious that I'm actually with you on all of the points you made below except that I'm not really sure DCI is trying to attract the reality TV audience so much as any audience they can get. I agree that the drum corps audience is numerically static and something needs to change.

However, I do not believe that drum corps needs to take their shows to reality TV level of entertainment to garner some new audience members. There really are people in this world who would find much of the current programming in DCI entertaining right now. I also think there may be a pendulum swing toward more entertainment in the air. Madison pulled off a highly entertaining show without a "theme" in 2010 that was also competitively successful, and I think this will open the door for others to consider doing the same. While Cavies' 2010 show was a bit dark for me, I can honestly say I see the entertainment aspect you speak of in their show - gut reaction is what brings in people.

The gut reaction factor is what I go for when I try to get people to go to their first live show by showing them videos. Specifically, I show them Cavies' "Machine" and Crown's "Triple Crown." My recruits almost always figure out that Machine is a visual smorgasbord while Triple Crown is definitely a great musical experience. But most importantly, people can connect on a gut level to these two "modern era" shows without even thinking about it.

I honestly think a movie with a drum corps background would do wonders to sell this activity, but it would take a whole lot of money and talent to pull off. Maybe it's time to see if Hard Rock Cafe would be interested in sponsoring such an endeavor?

To TerriTroop,

The customers I'm referring to are the potential new, non-drum corps fans DCI is trying to attract to bring in more revenue to keep the activity alive. The current drum corps audience is relatively numerically static and made up of mostly former members, parents and other family members, friends and a few old fans like me who are hanging around because we appreciate the more sophisticated shows. The general public's musical tastes are much, much less sophisticated than what most corps put on the field. That's why I said that the AGT outcome was predictable. It was opera versus Pop and the winner should not have surprised people. As I said before, people want to be entertained. Entertainment won over talent. That's why I said that the (potential) customer is always right.

Remember, DCI is selling a product so it has to please its customers or go out of business. What is DCI's product? Entertainment. The drum corps themselves are surely educational for the members but DCI's product is not education.The current fan base is obviously entertained or we'd all be gone. But, DCI is in financial trouble because there aren't enough of us to sustain the activity. The only way to significantly get a lot more people in the seats (and in uniforms) is to give the potential customers what they're willing to pay for: entertainment. And most of the music played today is not entertaining to the potential new fans.

KeithHall wrote, "America's Got Talent served NO lesson to drum corps. The "judges" have NO clue about music or dance." That's my point! The people who voted on AGT have no expertise about music and dance, but they know what they like, and are willing to pay for. The lesson to learn about that vote is that the untapped potential fan market is not sophisticated and does not like sophisticated music. Therefore, what DCI is now selling they will not buy.

The only way I can think of to substantially increase the fan base of drum corps and the membership base is to play music that more teens want to play. And the fact is that wouldn't be what most corps are playing today. Anyone who knows how to do this another way has yet to contribute.

you have thought this out which is good. but, no matter how much drum corps may change to reach the masses, to far too many people it's still just "marching band" and will be ignored. that's a sad fact of life

To Jeff Ream,

Obviously, the vote would have to be national, not local, so there would not be regional bias.

My reason for posting this topic was to think how to vastly expand the current popularity of drum corps. Even a national fan vote now would serve no purpose. The only people watching the show would be current fans who, for the most part, like what the corps are playing.

For 42 years I've always said I was in drum corps. When asked to verbally describe it I say we had long rehearsals, traveled, competed and had all brass and drum instruments. They'd ask "What did you do?" I said "well...I was color guard flag and drum major, um conductor". Then I have to explain it all over again. The best way is to show people using modern technology and explain from a bottom up approach, we used to call it word of mouth. When the bottom up, top down approaches work together, we meet in the middle :-)

What was the jist of this topic? :tongue:

What was the jist of this topic? :tongue:

I think it was to prove, by dint of "America's Got talent," that the US public wantsto be entertained.

I, however, am of the opinion that "America's Got Talent" proves only that people will watch anything on a major network in summertime.

DCI will never, ever be on free TV again,regardless of show content. Not unless CDs and DVDs are made illegal.

...In other news, Prince Poppycock auditions for the Cadets. :tongue:

I've never watched a single AGT show. The previews are enough to turn my stomach. Can't you tell you're being played? Maybe that's OK with most people. I'm not sure what this adds to the conversation, or what it says about me, but if DCI changes its behavior based on "reality TV viewership," I'm gone.

I've never watched a single AGT show. The previews are enough to turn my stomach. Can't you tell you're being played? Maybe that's OK with most people. I'm not sure what this adds to the conversation, or what it says about me, but if DCI changes its behavior based on "reality TV viewership," I'm gone.

When I looked up AGT, I stumbled on BGT and ended up with a Sarah McLachlan. Don't get me wrong; I love classical and jazz music, however...:-)

...there's something about music...good golly; 1 chord/measure from Rach on my CD sounds like the one of the Batman movies...yikes!

you have thought this out which is good. but, no matter how much drum corps may change to reach the masses, to far too many people it's still just "marching band" and will be ignored. that's a sad fact of life

Exactly. Americans can't get excited for professional soccer. They're going to get excited for marching band? No. The solution you propose will only move the activity closer to the very band geek persona we're trying to avoid. Drum Corps a la Drumline no doubt with hip moves to match the hip score. Pandering will get us nowhere.

HH

Edited by glory

Exactly. Americans can't get excited for professional soccer. They're going to get excited for marching band? No. The solution you propose will only move the activity closer to the very band geek persona we're trying to avoid. Drum Corps a la Drumline no doubt with hip moves to match the hip score. Pandering will get us nowhere.

HH

Actually, this year's World Cup TV ratings were up over 50%. If a barbershop quartet can get 1,000,000 YouTube views, someone can figure out how to make drum corps cool to people outside the activity. Hint: The answer isn't to add freakin' woodwinds.

Edited by atlvalet

Actually, this year's World Cup TV ratings were up over 50%. If a barbershop quartet can get 1,000,000 YouTube views, someone can figure out how to make drum corps cool to people outside the activity. Hint: The answer isn't to add freakin' woodwinds.

How many YouTube hits equal the price of one ticket for a drum corps show? For that matter, how many YouTube hits equal "popularity" for barbershop?

Hits aren't necessarily indicative of popularity. And TV ratings for a quadrenniel global event don't necessarily translate to local fans in local seats.

Popularity is a trailing indicator. By the time we recognize what's popular, popular may well have moved on. Drum corps needs a higher standard.

HH

Edited by glory