Why is DCI so unknown by almost everyone?

I have found this topic interesting. I don't know a great deal about marketing. How much money do other comparing summer activities spend on marketing? Maybe there is noting to compare too? Someone mentioned Show Bands. These were featured in a movie called "Drum Line" I think. It looks like they have a big crowd when I see the advertisements on cable. Aren't their championships on BET or am I thinking of the movie?

I can only say that when I talk to people, it is difficult to talk about a drum corps show without comparing it to a football halftime show. That doesn't convince many people to go to a show on their own. I have bought tickets for friends who didn't come after all. It was a Friday night show and they said later that something had come up. So, I have not had success in getting people interested in drum corps. Although, I did a talk at a senior center a friend of mine is in. They enjoyed the talk and I played parts of some drum corps shows and they asked when the next shows were. I told them late June and July in our area, but it is hard for many of them to get out at night. Many of these people I talked to at the senior center would like to come to a show, but it is too late at night and it is outdoors. Some shows have good accommodations for older fans. I was very impressed with the stadium in Indianapolis as my wife has a walker and it was very easy to get in and out of the stadium and get to our car.

....to me, the public moviehouse viewing of Quarterfinals has helped.

I have attended and brought non-fans with me.

They were appreciative....but they had no idea what goes into the show, how the kids were chosen, how the program was chosen, etc.

So, just for a year or two, how about DCI picking one or two rookies at drum corps tryouts and follow them thru the learning process and into the season? Ask the rookies questions. Get their thoughts. See their emotions. Watch their progress. This 'special' could be part of the movie attendee's package......a build up to and a better understanding of the Quarterfinals.

Our passion for the activity clouds the reality of it being something the general public just wouldn't care about ("General Public"- meaning those who don't know someone involved already or someone involved in any marching activity). To the general public (again, under the same definition as before), it is halftime and a chance to go pee and get a hot dog. We all try and justify it by giving the "I know someone", or "I brought somone to a show", but those people to me don't cover the demographic "general public", nor would most of those people catch the fever that only more cowbell could cure.

Full contact drum corps might work. Or pre-programmed dots to hit that explode if the performer doesn't hit his/her spot. That might sell.

Otherwise, you're selling something no one wants to buy.

Howver one wants to view it- The Rose Bowl show on July 4th gives thousands of unititated people a taste of drum corps.

On a positive note, some actualy watch. But of course, most others throw beach balls or walk in your aisle and disturb you while you are watching Blue Devils.

I know many drum corps fans out here in Cali who don't care for this show (numerous reasons besides crowd behavoir for it. Parking and the traffic for one), But I think its the closest thing we currently have, besides the movie theater 1/4 finals trailers- of reaching the general public. There are thousands of people at this show seeing drums corps- largely by default- as they wait for fireworks.

The hornlines and drumlines warming up have drwan some crowds in the Rose Bowl parking lots....But sometimnes you have to look for awhile to find them, or really know the stadium layout. In recent years, drumlines have been outside the stadium pre show to give the crowds a tatse, which I thought was a great thing. But I wonder why corps have not had much more of a presence at the AmericaFest going on outside. There are stages setup, and many different venues that could help showcase them.

Another thing- There are corps souvie booths outside the stadium, but no booths where we can see shows on large widescreen TV's. Like the DCI Booths I have commonly seen at regionals or Finals that have shows running continously and DVD sales.

Personally I have done some word of mouth at this show. Whether I was buying a hot dog, or outside by the souvie stands, there was somebody who would ask me what was going on, on the field. Word of mouth has given Drum Corps some new fans from this show. I can give a personal testimonial to that to a couple people I met there. But I am thinking for the most part, the word of mouth at the show is "So thats what it is. Thanks. When are those fireworks on again?

Maybe others who have been to this show can comment. But overall, I have thought it to be the one big chance DCI has to market itself to many people. Admittedly, they have gotten better at this show in recent years. But, I still feel there is a need to grow with it a lot more in the future.

Edited by Dmlkmen

The funny thing is, EVERY non-drum corps person I have ever seen reacts MUCH more to the visual aspect of the activity than the music. On videos, they go "wow" at Cavaliers drill moves, or crazy rifle exchanges. This also applies to my parents watching my corps this past summer... as much as I tried to explain to them about brass/ensemble demand, they always marveled at the amazing rifle tosses and sequential ripples in the drill. Although they did comment on the volume occasionally :tongue:

I think that is true now, because the music has in general become less interesting to listen to. Twenty years ago, when I used to bring friends to shows, they were generally much more thrilled by the music than they are now.

To be honest, I really feel that interest of marching music in America is on the decline.

Yes, WGI is thriving with winterguards and more and more winter drumlines. However, the average marching band, atleast in Indiana is shrinking. Whereas in the smaller classes there would be 80-100 in a band, there are MANY bands with only 40-50 total. Even the larger bands that packed 300+ are down in the mid to low 200's.

The same has happened with drum corps. The death of many smaller corps has built a disconnect between the average person and the drum corps community. There might be 1 or 2 drum corps in a state now that used to have one for each region or community.

Something needs to happen to keep this alive, or I see this activity start to fizzle out completely. With rising costs for arrangers, drill writers, copyrights... It's just not worth the investment at some point.

How about the corps try to entertain the crowd (not just the judges or instructors).

In 81 I marched with Southwind my dad came to our home show, he had seen marching band but had never seen a drum corps even on TV

when Sprit had that first hit he was hooked. Went to shows with me the next few years then this new wave stuff started and he lost interest in it.

There use to be fans in the stands people in their 30s 40s 50s that had no kids or connection with the corps. Now i challenge anyone to find more than 100 people like that at a show. Half of the high school kids that are dragged there by their directors are so bored that they disturb the people around them.

Please entertain me

Don't preach at me with narration

Don't try to teach me to love some obscure tuneless piece

Don't thrill me with your modern dance moves

Entertain me!