Why is DCI so unknown by almost everyone?

This is the problem I have with many of the "modern" drum corps. They're too busy being ashamed and afraid that they won't sound like a symphonic band that they won't put any air through the horns.

The period I went to the most shows was the late 80's through the 90's and as you would sit through a show each corps would be both better and louder until the last couple who were usually pretty evenly matched. They weren't good because they were loud they were loud because they were good. They played with better intonation and balance and that gave them a bigger sound. You can play loud as hell and still put out a good tone if you practice at it. You're not going to sound like a string quartet though and that is fine. I wonder if some of the current fans have ever heard any Wagner played by a top-flight symphony orchestra. The trombones will about rip your face off and that is OK. The same orchestra will play with the most delicate sound you could imagine and both styles are perfectly acceptable and appropriate in their correct context.

I take it you haven't listened to Phantom Regiment lately.

All snarky jokes aside, to say that corps like Crown are afraid of putting air through their horns out of fear of not sounding bad is simply absurd.

All snarky jokes aside, to say that corps like Crown are afraid of putting air through their horns out of fear of not sounding bad is simply absurd.

Crown is a great example of what I want; maintaining a great high dynamic level while maintaining a good ensemble blend. Not to say everyone should sound like them per se, as there is no "right" brass sound, but there are plenty of "wrong" brass sounds, as is true with many ensembles.

Simple answer: bad publicity over the years thanks to lines like this one "this one year at band camp...." (American Pie, I think?).

Marching band has been made fun of forever. There's even a comedian who talks about being in the band and basically how humiliating it is to march "flags." We're fighting an uphill battle of perception already, and all the bad-### clip montage videos in the world won't change that because the minute Joe Blowhard sees a plume he's saying to his buddies "hehe hehe look, marching band dorks, hehe." He's not watching the amazing things happening on the screen at that point, and he sure isn't going to care that we don't have flutes or saxophones on the field. HOWEVER.... if Joe Blowhard ever sat down and watched some of the documentaries out there on how hard these kids work all summer long, he might actually get it. The show and the placement is not the ultimate goal of a drum corps season - it's the journey of sweat and hard work, and most every Joe Blowhard would probably grok that aspect of it.

What a coincidence. You just named two of my favorite corps from the last few years. Then again, maybe it isn't a coincidence. By the way, Crown is proof that you can be loud and still sound good.

Another corps from this year that proves my point about loud being a result of being good as opposed to the other way around is Madison. Madison was blowing their brains out and they still weren't as loud as Crown because Crown was playing with better intonation and balance along with the high airflow.

Edited by DarrenE

I feel to promote DCI is to do some sort of reality T.V series that follows selected corps around and films them from auditions to finals. "The Road to Indy" and "Throw It Down" are perfect examples with a little less of that reality T.V flair of stupidity thrown in. Bluecoats and Pacific Crest had the right idea by creating these DVDs about monumental seasons whether it was progress or tragedy that enticed these groups to create these documentaries. Now, I know it's not pre-season training for the NFL or something like that but throwing out there what they do and how they do it with all the different backgrounds I think would grab a lot of wanted attention and growth. Just showing them a show wouldn't grab their interest if they don't know what goes on to get them to that show. It will also show all the emotional triumphs and failures that happen in drum corps and show them that we aren't that far away from being just like those proffessional athletes since drum corps represents the best of the best in the marching music arts.

two cents paid

Simple answer: bad publicity over the years thanks to lines like this one "this one year at band camp...." (American Pie, I think?).

Marching band has been made fun of forever. There's even a comedian who talks about being in the band and basically how humiliating it is to march "flags." We're fighting an uphill battle of perception already, and all the bad-### clip montage videos in the world won't change that because the minute Joe Blowhard sees a plume he's saying to his buddies "hehe hehe look, marching band dorks, hehe." He's not watching the amazing things happening on the screen at that point, and he sure isn't going to care that we don't have flutes or saxophones on the field. HOWEVER.... if Joe Blowhard ever sat down and watched some of the documentaries out there on how hard these kids work all summer long, he might actually get it. The show and the placement is not the ultimate goal of a drum corps season - it's the journey of sweat and hard work, and most every Joe Blowhard would probably grok that aspect of it.

In my opinion, this idea is absolute dynamite. I think we forget sometimes that drum corps is not just about the shows. Hell, the shows are a miniscule portion of how a member spends their summer. If I wanted to introduce someone to what drum corps is and get them interested, a well-made documentary like these would work wonders and tell them far more than the best show ever could.

Stu, there's a larger point that zhivago ties into.. let me try to shed some light on it:

We are narrowing our focus on entertainment rather than substantive community involvement that the community as a whole understands. There's the substantive community involvement WE understand (the personal kind we get going through Drum Corps), as well as entertainment value that caters to our tastes in large part because we went through it...

but little to no involvement in the things that most folks DO understand, like homeless shelters, and other traditional not-for-profit institutions that advance a cause that is tangibly and more universally accepted, with relation to the betterment of oneself, and ultimately, humankind.

The substantive community involvement, as you put it, is part of what draws volunteers to help with the drum corps activity; much like the homeless shelters and other traditional not-for-profit institutions that advance a cause that is tangibly and more universally accepted, with relation to the betterment of oneself, and ultimately, humankind (again using your words). However, that is not what draws people into purchasing tickets, buying souvenirs, and sit in the stand for any musical event; that is shear entertainment value in which drum corps is just a small niche that only appeals to a select few.

The point I was making is that for someone to call the entertainment industry a “satanic” juggernaut which exists to only hypnotize the brain-dead through sex, vanity, fashion and money is both reckless and inaccurate. While capitalism is a construct that allows musicians to make a career out of their craft, the music industry is not an excessively greedy, mind corrupting, artistic corrupting institution responsible for the demise of our culture, or the lack of butts sitting in the stands at DCI finals. AM, MCA, Atlantic, Polydor, Atco, etc… are companies that make money by contracting musicians so that they in turn can make money through their craft. And if the paying public is not entertained, no one will be able to survive; neither the musicians nor the companies. So the entertainment industry is neither evil nor satanic but supports the arts by allowing the artists to generate capital.

Edited by Stu

Immature musical arrangements, weak source material and emotionally underdeveloped shows, to name a few. Plus irritating uses of electronic equipment. I don't think it's not entertaining, just not as entertaining as it could be or once was.

Why not send an email to Jay Bocook and Wayne Downey, to pick a couple of creators of 'immature musical arrangements' at random, and let them know they don't know how to properly arrange music for drum corps and/or marching band. I'm sure they'd appreciate the feedback.