Soloist Stories or Nightmares!

I was marching in the Madison Scouts in 1986 and our soprano soloist during Harlem Suite had a long exposed cadenza. He was an amazing player and nailed it every time- except for once. We were in Montreal for the drum corps show there and for some reason when it came time for the top note in the cadenza he completely missed. Silence- nothing but silence. You know the long, uncomfortable silence in a tense moment like that? Well it felt like about a year standing on the field. Thankfully our drum major gave the cue and the corps continued on like nothing had happened.

The next day at practice we were doing a band clinic for a local group. There were several hundred band kids in the stands watching us go through our work. We got to the spot in the show where the cadenza was and someone from the staff in the stands made some smart azz comment about the "frack" the night before. The soloist slinked away from his position at the front of the field. It was more as a joke, but the entire corps had a good laugh about it. Before anyone knew what was happening my friend from the soprano line took the opportunity and ran up to the front sideline like he was going to "fill in". This brought out even more laughter from the corps.

Then, all of a sudden, the soloist came back and pantsed the prankster in front of all the band kids. Laughter came from the field as well as the stands. Instead of slinking away and being embarrassed, the jokester sop player raised his arms above his head like he had just won the world heavy weight belt! With his pants around his knees and several hundred people watching him he had the ballz to stand there as if to say "look at me world"!

Awesome!!! Talk about a mood-breaker!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome!!! Talk about a mood-breaker!!

In BD if you were marching around the field with your shorts down around your ankles, You probably had nothing to do with them being pulled down! Sam I bet you have some memories of this? lol

You guys coming to the Sun Reunion Ensemble in November (when it kicks off)???

You know you want to.

Ray, I wish I could, but I can't.

I can't speak for Joe, however. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

Ray, I wish I could, but I can't.

I can't speak for Joe, however. :tongue:

C'mon Fran... step into the light... follow the voices... you know you want to... feel the force...

The two incidents I remember came from listening to the Finals records before I marched. The first was either the '75 or '76 recording of The Kilties. There were 3 soloists who played each note of a major triad at the end of Auld Lang Syne. The guy who played the middle note...well...he completely missed it. Then he continued to try to no avail. I have felt bad for that guy for 30 years. The other was from Garfield's '76 prelim performance of Echano. One of the baritone players played an incredibly loud note during a rest at the end of the tune. This one, I'm embarassed to say, completely cracks me up.

In BD if you were marching around the field with your shorts down around your ankles, You probably had nothing to do with them being pulled down! Sam I bet you have some memories of this? lol

MY shorts incidents involved them being pull off of my bod UPWARDS....I got 3 snuggies that year (I think I still hold the record)

The two incidents I remember came from listening to the Finals records before I marched. The first was either the '75 or '76 recording of The Kilties. There were 3 soloists who played each note of a major triad at the end of Auld Lang Syne. The guy who played the middle note...well...he completely missed it. Then he continued to try to no avail. I have felt bad for that guy for 30 years.

1975, and in all the shows I heard them in that year as a member of The Cavaliers, I never heard anything else like that all season from the Kilties.

1975, and in all the shows I heard them in that year as a member of The Cavaliers, I never heard anything else like that all season from the Kilties.

Just bought the DVD and wondered what happened..... DVD has a POV from the side and you can't see the performers.

Used to have a home made cassette of a "name" soloist from a mid 70s DCA corps. Guy joined a new corps and very first show (Mt Carmel, PA exhibition) he had a screaming solo to start the show. His second note just went pfft and fer notes later he came in an octave lower and lot less volume. In the background you hear someone say "Yeah, he's not feeling well".

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I don't think anyone in the Cavaliers wants to talk about the sop solo in concert in 78. The first time we heard the soloist play it was in Lexington (i.e. Bluegrass Nationals?) and he NAILED it. DCI Prelims ... I REALLY don't know WHAT he was thinking!