New Championships Week format

I'm a big fan of Quarterfinals truly being open to all corps, I think that will produce some great competition. I'm not a fan of Open and World I&E being separated; let them compete on the same field here as well.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting approach.

Speaking of variety ... I wish DCI would go back to having the finals rotate throughout different cities, especially cities that fans would like to visit on a vacation when the drums and bugles are done.

:laughing::tongue:

to be honest...if they know of no new corps, 40 is the number because that's all that attended finals week last year

Well, since no one else has noticed, looks like I'll be the one to rain on our parade. Yes, it is good news that we won't have a civil war between the G7 G8 and the rest of DCI. Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing world-class and open-class meet on the contest field again. I'll join you in that parade....but I'll be bringing my umbrella, because there's a very important detail that just got thrown under the bus.

Growth.

Remember that DCI 5-year plan? All that talk about growing the fan base, growing the participant base, growing the number of corps? Well, that's all we have of that now....memories. Forty corps is the absolute limit that a single-round, single-day DCI contest can accomodate. Committing to this format change sends a clear signal that DCI is not planning for ever having more than 40 corps at DCI Championships....even though the 39 we had this year was an all-time low.

I don't yet know what other compromises took place in the events of the past few days....but I see that the DCI business plan, ratified just one year ago by many of the same people in the meeting room this week, has now become just another one of those "compromises". Chicken Little wins again.

The sky is falling!

Nope; this 40 plus corps' all day on Thursday format will not have people coming and going throughout the day; most people will still just wait until the evening to go in and see the upper corps.

WELL make sure that they haven't changed the way in which the corps will perform... NO ONE said they would go in "order" Remember Madison's ED saying that shaking up the performance order. If they were smart they would place ONE top 12 between a 13-25 corps.... So if you wanna see the top 12 you also will see the other.... COME ON SUPPORT ALL THE KIDS!

Wait for it, Just wait for it, you'll see them do it :) Trust me on this.

I wonder how much input the Open Class corps had into the format changes that affect their corps.

I don't know but for once they aren't being left out. this make my questions about the Super 3 package all go away.

I might be drunk, but only because there's no way i'll make it through 40 straight shows without some beer. Thats a lot of drum corps, even for a big fan.
meow.

:laughing:

Nope; this 40 plus corps' all day on Thursday format will not have people coming and going throughout the day; most people will still just wait until the evening to go in and see the upper corps.

Maybe DCI should adopt a rule that bars entry after the first corps has started :)

I don't know but for once they aren't being left out. this make my questions about the Super 3 package all go away.

Yes not only are they making it cheaper for people to see it all, if they want to, they are packing it to where people don't have to take off the entire week to see it. I think that they also have done the OC a great service. This past year EVERYONE got to perform in the DOME because of several corps not going.... NOW it is a given that all OC's get to do their last show there.... Even if they place out of the top 17. Someone always has to complain..... Everyone is fair and equal now... CELEBRATE!

what show do you go to that costs $40? can you sit somewhere other than the 50 yard line?

well to be honest with electronics, if you sit outside the 35's, you miss a ot of the show. and many YEA events are higher priced than that to park between the 40's