New Championships Week format

Sorry Stu, just one of my things, too.

On another note, I wonder if that fancy "enclosed music house" will serve breakfast on Thursday?

Hmmm, you bring up an interesting point with your new name for the dwelling.

For the sake of public relations, how about if we start referring to Lucas Oil Stadium as Lucas Oil Music Hall or Lucas Oil Center for Pageantry? :laughing:

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael: Have you ever thought about moonlighting as a proof reader? :laughing:

Yes, but I could never proof my own work because I read right over what I wrote, already knowing in my mind what I wrote. That's why I always say I've never written anything that wasn't improved by my editor.

Proof drinker more like. 57 degrees proof. :laughing:

I'm going to need that to get through blogging about 40 corps in Prelims. (Did everyone notice that the Thursday show is now called Prelims and not Quarterfinals?)

One of the reasons for the "international" class is to account for overseas corps that don't comply with the DCI age rule. This is nothing new; when three European corps came over to compete at DCI in 1988, none of them met DCI age requirements either.

So are you saying as long as the corps is from outside North America (International Class), DCI are happy to allow over age corps to directly compete against DCI member corps on the Thursday of DCI finals week?

Without knowing exactly what the rules are, that doesn't sound right to me. Surely the 21 age rule is sacrosanct to DCI.

One or two DCE corps although no quite World Class standard are quite capable of making it through to the Friday. If I was a corps director of DCI member corps e.g. 7th Regiment and I missed out on semis to an all age corps (regardless of where they're from) I'd be very unhappy.

Not sure what to think about this new format.

I like the part where ANY corps gets to throw their hat in the ring for Quarterfinals, but I don't like the "one and done" approach to the Open Class "Finals", where most corps would look forward to doing two shows (semis and finals) now only get ONE show (unless of course they choose to throw in on World Quarters)

Then, SEPARATING I & E into separate open AND World divisions? Isn't part of the cool thing about I & E is a level playing field where a kid from the Podunk Pirates gets an opportunity to take out a Blue Devil?

Well......................guess we'll see.

Rich,

It looks like OC is actually getting a better deal out of this - they get OC finals on Tuesday, WC Quarters on Thursday and I'm guessing they're going to be included in the mass performance concert on Saturday. (The DCI.org article does say "all non-finalist corps.") 3 guaranteed performances per corps makes for much better fiscal risk/reward.

Mike

Not sure what to think about this new format.

I like the part where ANY corps gets to throw their hat in the ring for Quarterfinals, but I don't like the "one and done" approach to the Open Class "Finals", where most corps would look forward to doing two shows (semis and finals) now only get ONE show (unless of course they choose to throw in on World Quarters)

The Thursday show is now known as Prelims.

The Michigan City show is always extremely well attended. The locals really come out to support drum corps. I've seen a mere handful of people at the Open Class Semifinals and expect those kids to have WAY more people to perform for under the new set-up, even if some people don't show up until later in the day. I'm hoping that fans, knowing they're going to the stadium anyhow, will show up a little earlier to experience the phenomenal opportunity to see all the corps in one day. Yes, it will be a long day, but for many, there is no such thing as drum corps overload.

So are you saying as long as the corps is from outside North America (International Class), DCI are happy to allow over age corps to directly compete against DCI member corps on the Thursday of DCI finals week?

Without knowing exactly what the rules are, that doesn't sound right to me. Surely the 21 age rule is sacrosanct to DCI.

One or two DCE corps although no quite World Class standard are quite capable of making it through to the Friday. If I was a corps director of DCI member corps e.g. 7th Regiment and I missed out on semis to an all age corps (regardless of where they're from) I'd be very unhappy.

One of the provisions of the "International Division" is that no North American corps gets displaced from advancing to semis or finals by an international corps. This provision has been in effect since at least 1991, when Phoenix Regiment made the A-60 finals cut and we had a 13-corps final round as a result.

Yup, guess this answers the question in another thread about who will blink first. [suggesting it was DCI who blinked first]

Not so fast. Sounds to me like they both blinked and backed away from the cliff they were careening towards. We can't tell for sure, because this is a little short on important details, but I'm inferring that since DCI is producing the new top 8 events, then the money/performance fee structure for those shows is not changing. The corps appearing at these events get their usual performance fees but any profits are shared with all DCI corps. No/yes? Big difference from what G7 wanted to do: produce the events, split the net only among themselves, while other corps could perform elsewhere but without any of the G7 corps on the bill, so the gate would be less.