Championships lost to penalties

jras

Does anyone remember a year that a championship (American Legion, VFW or DCI) was lost on account of a penalty?

Does anyone remember a year that a championship (American Legion, VFW or DCI) was lost on account of a penalty?

66 VFW Nationals ... Cavaliers ... 1 pt penalty dropped them to 2nd behind the Troopers ...

Andy

Edited by ajlisko

1978 DCI finals. Phantom lost to SCV by 0.1, and Phantom had 0.1 in penalties, while SCV was penalty-free.

That might be the one I was referring to....what was the penalty for??

Again....I would not count a tick for an equipment drop to be a penalty.

That penalty WAS for dropped equipment (rifle), but in those days that was ruled a penalty.

There was lots of discussion about how unfair it was for color guards to be "singled-out" for their failure to maintain control over their equipment, and be assessed a penalty, while a musician missing a note was not a penalty.

That penalty WAS for dropped equipment (rifle), but in those days that was ruled a penalty.

There was lots of discussion about how unfair it was for color guards to be "singled-out" for their failure to maintain control over their equipment, and be assessed a penalty, while a musician missing a note was not a penalty.

*waggles hand* That's what I'm talking about...I'd rather read about something mroe significant than a 1/10th tick....like an overtime penalty (81 Cavies at Whitewater, for example) or a field boundary violation....a REAL penalty, not a tick that's called a penalty.

Otherwise you could argue that a corps that won simply got less overall penalties than the corps they beat.

I just took a look at my recaps of national championship shows going back to the 1920s. Believe it or not, penalties were extremely rare in the 1920s through 1956. Then, for some bizarre reason, at the 1957 American Legion Nationals, 28 of the 30 senior corps were assessed penalties. And at the 1959 Legion Nationals, 22 of 24 junior corps were given penalties.

The Chicago Royal Airs would have been 2nd at 1968 VFW Nationals, but a 1.0 penalty dropped them all the way down to 5th.

Garfield missed being in the 1972 DCI finals because of penalties. They missed 12th place by 0.4, and they got 1.8 in penalties, while the 12th place Bleu Raeders had none.

Crossmen missed being in 1979 DCI finals due to penalties. They would have tied the Troopers for 12th, but they got 0.4 in penalties, while the Troopers got 0.2. Crossmen missed tying Troopers by those extra 0.2.

Edited by Northern Thunder