What happens when an Open Class beats a World Class?

KAW

I've often wondered about this subject. Hypothecally speaking BD, SCV and Colts all have cadet corps. If one of them tops a WC corps then what is the "A" corps going to do? It's like being in a poker game and having to play against your own money. Just a thought.

I've often wondered about this subject. Hypothecally speaking BD, SCV and Colts all have cadet corps. If one of them tops a WC corps then what is the "A" corps going to do? It's like being in a poker game and having to play against your own money. Just a thought.

Do you really see any of those B corps coming anywhere close to their WC counterparts? Seriously?

I'm not saying it couldn't happen eventually. But if you're the Blue Devils, or Colts, or SCV and your feeder corps knocks off your flagship unit, you're clearly doing something wrong.

Something like that happened back when there were Div II/III Finals and the Grand Finals. I think Spartans and ECJ were like co-Champs because one one Division II, but then the other won Grand Finals. Sorry if I'm a little sketchy on the details, but I remember there was noise about that once.

That was 2005. Spartans won at Div. 2 Finals, then ECJ won at Grand Finals.

no they are a WC corps that competes the regional touring model as approved by the BOD.

and whats an OC corps in size? BDB looked pretty ###### big

well Surfs size being smaller than BDB further proves my point, I understand that the BOD approved the regional model for Surf, but why doesn't any other world class corps have that advantage? Staying close to home for the first tour and taking 2 weeks off must keep costs way lower than every other corps in WC who has a full tour, and since Surf really isn't going to compete for higher than 18th, they are going to receive the WC minimum which is higher than open class. I am not saying its wrong, but why not put all corps in this category? I am sure Spartans, 7th Regiment and Revolution would love the higher performance fees, while keeping their touring model.

I think that the divisions should be separated by touring model and not by size. Having a full open prelims rewards the top OC corps who have a high level of excellence without requiring them to move to a different touring model that the organization cannot or does not want to support. I think the corps directors of the OC corps are not dumb and they know that WC may generate more revenue, but also more costs. However staying OC allows them to have their own competition (which for the exception of the past few years has always been way more wide open than WC).

Now if per se BDB makes finals, I like the international rule that Mr. Boo reminded us of. I dont mind 13 corps on Saturday night :-)

I'll bet Surf and Teal are thinking, "Oh MANN we just got AWAY from these guys!" lol

Do you really see any of those B corps coming anywhere close to their WC counterparts? Seriously?

I'm not saying it couldn't happen eventually. But if you're the Blue Devils, or Colts, or SCV and your feeder corps knocks off your flagship unit, you're clearly doing something wrong.

No no no I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that IF an OC corps knocks off a WC corps in that situation they could find themselves competing against their own orginization. That's a bit like forming a firing squad by standing in a circle.

No no no I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that IF an OC corps knocks off a WC corps in that situation they could find themselves competing against their own orginization. That's a bit like forming a firing squad by standing in a circle.

This isn't head to head competition, like football. and YEA competed against itself for many years with as many as 4 or 5 corps in the top 17

I'll bet Surf and Teal are thinking, "Oh MANN we just got AWAY from these guys!" lol

and with the future I see in the Teal organization, they will still get away from them

yeah, but the person that wins LAST is the champion...usually...

next year...maybe not.

if they win Tuesday, they are the OC champion, regardless of what happens Thursday thru Saturday

well Surfs size being smaller than BDB further proves my point, I understand that the BOD approved the regional model for Surf, but why doesn't any other world class corps have that advantage? Staying close to home for the first tour and taking 2 weeks off must keep costs way lower than every other corps in WC who has a full tour, and since Surf really isn't going to compete for higher than 18th, they are going to receive the WC minimum which is higher than open class. I am not saying its wrong, but why not put all corps in this category? I am sure Spartans, 7th Regiment and Revolution would love the higher performance fees, while keeping their touring model.

I think that the divisions should be separated by touring model and not by size. Having a full open prelims rewards the top OC corps who have a high level of excellence without requiring them to move to a different touring model that the organization cannot or does not want to support. I think the corps directors of the OC corps are not dumb and they know that WC may generate more revenue, but also more costs. However staying OC allows them to have their own competition (which for the exception of the past few years has always been way more wide open than WC).

Now if per se BDB makes finals, I like the international rule that Mr. Boo reminded us of. I dont mind 13 corps on Saturday night :-)

Pioneer was smaller too. and hey...Acadamie was smaller than many corps they beat in 90. good is good regardless of size. Other WC corps do have that advantage if they choose it. If you look, Mandarins, Seattle and Academy weren't trotting all over for a while when other WC corps were.

yes, the OC corps should get paid for all shows they do. I've said that all along.