If you had it your way...

The only issue I see with Friday's afternoon and night is some corps have members still traveling to get to the Championship due to school commintments they have.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do and prepare certain things?,..........like what? :tongue:

clean up the trash, have a chance to do inventory on foods and order more if need be, any field maintenance if needed..and change shifts, because otherwise OT on a holiday weekend would kill them wage wise

do and prepare certain things?,..........like what? :tongue:

Really? This stuff surprises you??

:tongue:

PS as an alumni corps performer, I barely had time to get back to the hotel, shower, eat and breathe for a sec and still wouldn't make it back in time for the start of the show for finals. Scooch it any later and you will see a drop off in ticket sales from anyone from the alumni show. :spitting:

One of the reasons corps would balk at the parade would be loss of rehearsal time and also the fact it would be a physical consideration for the entire weekend...

Starting earlier and adding 2 more A corps, a good idea. After seeing many of them at Reading, I'm definitely a backer of anything that helps to promote and reward those corps. There's a lot of good things happening there for the activity. :tongue:

Edited by BigW

Good point.

Also, there are several DCA staff members who work at the Alumni show and then again at Finals that evening. Quite frankly, those few hours in between shows are a much-needed break for them.

It's only necessary for the old ones... Those wearing Hawaiian shirts....

Heh, but very essential time. I can see Fran needing to decompress and stop the world for about 2-3 hours after a contest. Yah just gotta clear your head. :tongue:

Trust me. Fran's head is clear. If you look in one ear, you can see clear out the other. :tongue:

It's only necessary for the old ones... Those wearing Hawaiian shirts....

Nice guy. :tongue:

You do know that I have never worked at the Alumni show?

(Of course, that line leaves an opening big enough for Andy to drive a truck through. LOL)

PARADE:

Would this suggestion be a required event for all competing corps? We do parades to get paid. They are a necessary evil for support of the corps. Would a "preview" parade pay us what we are used to being compensated? If not, then the parade should not be a required event. I think forcing a corps to do a parade, if it does not pay their usual compensation, would be wrong. Drum corps, at least since I have been a fan and performer, is about the field competition. As a fan, I would not go to a parade to see drum corps.

CLASS A AND OPEN:

I personally think that the decision to finally separate the classes completely was a great decision. There is no reason to lump everyone into the same grouping to just end up splitting them apart for finals. I remember there being complaining from at least 1 open class corps that they were unfairly judges because they ended up going on in between class A corps and could not get a fair read against the rest of open class. I think this was a valid complaint. Also, if you score highest in class A, you win class A. No one should be allowed to compete in both classes as someone in the thread suggested. (ie. win class A but also place 10th in open class). If you want to compete against Open class corps for a top 10 position, don't declare class A. Just compete in open from the start.

All of that said however, I would like to see more A class corps in finals. When there were just a handful of A class corps, 2 or 3 in finals seemed right. But now, with A class having the same number as Open, there should be more in finals. This year, we ended up with every open class corps going on again on Sunday. Perhaps instead of having an "exhibition" by one open class corps, a fifth A class corps could have been allowed into competition. Yes the exhibition allowed for tabulation time. The mini corps champ should be enough for that.

OVERALL SCHEDULE:

As a performer, I appreciate the schedule the way it is. We can have rehearsals up until Friday late afternoon, shower and change, and get to the venue for I&E and Minicorps. Saturday is then also left open for rehearsals before the important prelims performance. Sunday, same thing, or if you are one of the corps left out of finals, you can opt to go see the alumni spectacular.

Championships has evolved over the years and schedules tweaked and adjusted. I think the current schedule is working great for all involved. Also, if a schedule that is working well is left in place, repeat spectators, of which we need more, from out of town can plan their arrival and schedule easily from year to year.

Just my humble opinions.

Also, if a schedule that is working well is left in place, repeat spectators, of which we need more, from out of town can plan their arrival and schedule easily from year to year.

That's a very good point.