If you had it your way...

Thought this might be an interesting topic... I know many people weren't such a huge fan of the weekend's events changing... So if you have a different idea... Post it... Maybe, just maybe the DCA Gods will take a peak... (Tom... I know there are reasons for the change!! :tongue: )

My idea...

Friday evening - Championship Parade, all competing corps and alumni corps put on a parade around the neighborhood the stadium is in... Finishing off with a (option 1) FREE stand still concert in the stadium for neighboring residents featuring last year's top 6 Open Class and top 2 Class A corps from last year's championship. (option 2) Mini corps championship, again free of charge

Saturday morning - Class 'A' Prelims, followed by Open Class Prelims - Show would start around 9am

Saturday evening - I&E, and celebration/block party

Sunday (early) afternoon - Alumni Classic (judged by fans)

Sunday evening - Class A Finals followed by Open Class Finals.. Featuring exhibitions by Winning mini corps and winning alumni corps before retreat

I've always thought (as a competitor) that a parade during championship weekend would be fun.

Also to DCA officials: if finals could come to Ottawa, ON and that 'will be revamped' Frank Claire Stadium... I'd greatly greatly greatly appreciate it :laughing:

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i recall, the last time a parade was done ( 96?) some corps didn't attend. I'm not even sure all corps did the Fairgrounds thing in Syracuse

Friday Night = I&E and Minicorps as it is now.

Saturday = All corps compete head-to-head in Prelims. The top 6 Class A and Top 12 Open Class Corps move on to Finals. If a Class A corps scores in the Top 12, they can compete in Open Class AND potentially win the Class A Title.

Sunday Morning = Alumni Spectacular as it is now.

Sunday Night = Finals starts at 4:00 instead of 5:18 and features 6 Class A and 12 Open Class Corps in Competition.

Friday Night = I&E and Minicorps as it is now.

Saturday = All corps compete head-to-head in Prelims. The top 6 Class A and Top 12 Open Class Corps move on to Finals. If a Class A corps scores in the Top 12, they can compete in Open Class AND potentially win the Class A Title.

Sunday Morning = Alumni Spectacular as it is now.

Sunday Night = Finals starts at 4:00 instead of 5:18 and features 6 Class A and 12 Open Class Corps in Competition.

I'm with you Sayre! :laughing:

some interesting ideas...

The parade thing or whatever is/was a good idea... we need to convince local people to come to the show... the state fair gig was one of the most successful things we ever did, but it took a separate event and money to convince the corps it was worthwhile scheduling it and still some resisted...

The one thing said that had me going HMMM??? was going to daytime prelims and moving I&E back to Saturday night after prelims and having mini stay on Friday... interesting stuff there...

My comments are...

prelims was moved to later in the day because the fans wanted the block going on under the lights so you had a "same viewing" situation among the top 5 in both prelims and finals... it seems to have worked... would the fans accept all daytime prelims again?

Mini corps right now is so strong it could stand alone on Friday night... would that hurt or help I&E on Saturday night?

anyway... no problem with tossing ideas around like this and I'm sure the right people will read them.... but please keep in mind that I for one, am a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I remember having to do a parade in 98 or 99. It was late at night and we sat around forever. Hardly any spectators.

I remember there were parades in Allentown on Friday night, during those years. Past various pawn shops on the main street. :laughing:

The top five corps from the previous year's Finals did exhibitions at one of the NYS Fairgrounds concert venues on the Friday nights the two years DCAs were held in Syracuse.

Someone mentioned to me a few years ago the idea of having the Alumni show on Saturday night, with Class A and Open Class Prelims moved back to earlier that day.

Kind of a nice idea, IMO. It would get the alumni corps out of the heat of the day. I worry sometimes about the health issues with the alumni corps, if they perform during a hot day.

I remember there were parades in Allentown on Friday night, during those years. Past various pawn shops on the main street. :laughing:

The top five corps from the previous year's Finals did exhibitions at one of the NYS Fairgrounds concert venues on the Friday nights the two years DCAs were held in Syracuse.

Someone mentioned to me a few years ago the idea of having the Alumni show on Saturday night, with Class A and Open Class Prelims moved back to earlier that day.

Kind of a nice idea, IMO. It would get the alumni corps out of the heat of the day. I worry sometimes about the health issues with the alumni corps, if they perform during a hot day.

Don't have an opinion on the rest of your points, Fran, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Alumni show held on Saturday night. It isn't the health issues that make this desirable (it generally hasn't gotten that hot yet when the alumni corps are on), but it would sure make for a better view of the show. To the best of my knowledge, the Alumni Spectacular is the only time during the year that most alumni corps go on during daylight - must have something to do with that vampire thingie - and something is definitely lost not being under the lights.

I don't really have a dog in the race yet and have yet to get to a DCA Finals but it looks to me like the I&E and Mini Corps should all take place on Friday with the Full Corps Competition being on Saturday and Sunday.

I'd think the Corps would want all their people thinking about their Competition Show without the distraction of worrying about a Solo or Ensemble Competition.