Drum corps background checks

Agree! With the band I work with, the rule is for every student to ALWAYS have at least one buddy when going from point A to B. This includes band camp, rehearsals, at games and shows...anyplace.

I could not agree more. You find a corpsmate and stick to them like stink on a skunk.

Edited by Piper

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are in perfect agreement

HockeyDad: If we are in perfect agreement, then you have quickly changed your mind, or mis-spoke (mis-typed) back in post #21 where you contended: "That's where you must set up a system where the here-and-now cannot happen." The word 'cannot' brings with it a 100% guarantee. You defended your contention in post #25 with this statement: "I will not agree that "there's no way" inappropriate behavior and conduct can be prevented." So, would you like to reword those statements or continue to try and defend them? Reword them, and we might agree with each other, continue to defending them and we will 'not' be in agreement.

Edited by Stu

convicted, or merely rumored? That gets into a whole different issue... what if someone was rumored or suspected, but never tried/convicted We have this thing called due process.....innocent until PROVEN guilty....

Just playing Dev's Advo, that's all.

That's one of the ways a Background check can verify fact versus fiction- particularly the Act 151 Child Abuse clearance check in PA.

That one's run by the PA Child Abuse network, and you have to list everywhere you've lived over the part 30 or so years and I also think who you've lived with for the past 25+ years.

Also, the FBI clearance would also deal with a lot of that too. It would either conform or dispel a lot of rumors.

Perhaps someone could fraudulently fill a form out or pull some kind of trick on the fingerprints, etc., but note the use of the word "fraud". I'm certain the FBI would frown on that little stunt, my guess is that'd be a federal crime, and you'd do some serious federal time. The PA State police don't like to be trifled with either....

HockeyDad: If we are in perfect agreement, then you have quickly changed your mind, or mis-spoke (mis-typed) back in post #21 where you contended: "That's where you must set up a system where the here-and-now cannot happen." The word 'cannot' brings with it a 100% guarantee. You defended your contention in post #25 with this statement: "I will not agree that "there's no way" inappropriate behavior and conduct can be prevented." So, would you like to reword those statements or continue to try and defend them? Reword them, and we might agree with each other, continue to defending them and we will 'not' be in agreement.

So you want to parse the big message by picking a nit on something else. I clearly state I agree with you...yet you wish to argue still. Whatever. Some people are never happy unless they get the last word. It appears you are one of them.

Big Bad: I understand your reasoning about the organization of 'DCI', their staff rarely has contact with the performing youth outside of public performances. But what about the individual corps'? They have to have a plethora of rules, regulations, background checks, and liability insurance for legal protection do they not?

Each corp has to deal with their approach to this issue on their own. DCI will take no official position as they should not. DCI has little to no contact with the MM's

So you want to parse the big message by picking a nit on something else. I clearly state I agree with you...yet you wish to argue still. Whatever. Some people are never happy unless they get the last word. It appears you are one of them.

I guess you are one of them, too :tongue:

this is possible. however, odds are slim the rumor is false. if there's smoke....

Jeff, the problem is that in today's culture there is so much paranoia in the academic and youth activity arena that even if a 'rumor' is shown to be false, the teacher or coach in question will have a difficult time ever getting support back from parents and others in their community. Most often when a person working with kids is 'rumored' to be bad, and it is found to be a false rumor, their career in that city or community is pretty much shot simply from the rumor.

this is possible. however, odds are slim the rumor is false. if there's smoke....

Maybe, but if there are rumors or accusations and the corps takes action...and then it's proven wrong, the corps can be screwed. Just ask Duke University and the city of Durham, NC.

Jeff: You and I do not know each other, but I am positive that we had the same types of rumor mills going on back when we were in middle school or high school. In my middle school, there was a hot female math teacher that every adolescent boy dreamed about and the rumor was that she had accommodated a few boys (I knew it was not true because her son was one of my close friends, but there was 'the rumor' nonetheless). In high school, there was a male social studies teacher that had a lisp, he was rumored to also like boys (again, not true, but a viscous rumor nonetheless). Rumors are smoke screens created by figurative smoke machines and fanned throughout the school (or corps) by either kids thinking it is funny, kids wishing it were true, or by kids who do not like the person. Formal accusations, however, should be dealt with quickly to see if there is any truth and punish the adult, or found to be false and punish the accuser. As for rumors, those spreading rumors should be told to either formally make an accusation or face consequences of spreading false rumors. Yes, I am an advocate of protecting kids; and those scum buckets out there deserve all of the wrath we can place on them on earth. Nevertheless, because of the paranoia of today's society believing that if there is even fabricated smoke (rumor) there 'has' to be fire (truth), more wonderful innocent adults today are being labeled with the stigma based off of mere rumor.

Edited by Stu