phantom regiment!

Put another way, he was the drill component of the heaven-sent design team from 2005-2007. While the 80s and 90s had some great PR shows, I'd call 2005-2007 the best three-year stretch they've had in terms of show design. (and you can add that little show from 2008, though Thompson wasn't around for that one)

IMO, Thompson's drill design from 1997-2002 far trumps anything he did from 2005-2007. If I hadn't known he wrote all of those shows, I would have guessed that they had two completely different drill writers. Not saying the 2005-2007 shows were bad (they were awesome!), just that the drill design was nowhere near as musical/flowing as 1997-2002.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, Thompson's drill design from 1997-2002 far trumps anything he did from 2005-2007. If I hadn't known he wrote all of those shows, I would have guessed that they had two completely different drill writers. Not saying the 2005-2007 shows were bad (they were awesome!), just that the drill design was nowhere near as musical/flowing as 1997-2002.

I'd say that would be a pretty consistent observation of drill designers across the board from that time frame.

Wrote Glassmen's drill 1997-2002, Phantom 2005-2007, not sure who else/when

Wow. :tongue:

I was the wind arranger for Elizabethtown HS in 1997, so I got to work with David. He is an incredibly gifted writer and teacher. He is also one of the most musical guard writers I've ever worked with. With all his experience, along with what a great person he is, Phantom is very lucky to have him.

Good luck David and PR!

A side note on 97 Etown - If you can get a copy of the BOA finals video, you'll see and hear one of the best marching activity versions and performance of the Barber Adagio for Strings ever done. The rest of the show isn't too shabby either. People in KY, and that were at BOA in 97, still talk about that performance and that band. It sure was fun!

Edited by Steve Knob

Does anyone know if Freddy and Michael Matin will still be working with Phantom next year?

They are on Academy's staff (DCP news post) for 2011, but I have no idea regarding Phantom. I have experienced staff members working for multiple groups in a single season (Frank Williams comes to mind), so I suppose it wouldn't be impossible.

I was the wind arranger for Elizabethtown HS in 1997, so I got to work with David. He is an incredibly gifted writer and teacher. He is also one of the most musical guard writers I've ever worked with. With all his experience, along with what a great person he is, Phantom is very lucky to have him.

Good luck David and PR!

A side note on 97 Etown - If you can get a copy of the BOA finals video, you'll see and hear one of the best marching activity versions and performance of the Barber Adagio for Strings ever done. The rest of the show isn't too shabby either. People in KY, and that were at BOA in 97, still talk about that performance and that band. It sure was fun!

I remember that '97 show as well as the '95 show when Chuck Smith was still there (before heading off for Lafayette). E-town's never been the same since he left.