How much longer...

Not sure where in the South you're located but, there is a very good Alumni Corps called the Florida Brass in the Orlando Area ...

:-)

Now that is really SOUTH! :smile:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i could only wish for many years it would continue but the sad reality is drum corps is becoming more obscure as time goes on. i didn't realize this untill i read an artical about DCI on cnn.com. a vast majority of people no longer know what it is or that it exists. this wasn't the case years ago but it is now. so i would say not as long as you would think. i do hope i'm wrong. it would be a shame to see this whole thing go away.

i could only wish for many years it would continue but the sad reality is drum corps is becoming more obscure as time goes on. i didn't realize this untill i read an artical about DCI on cnn.com. a vast majority of people no longer know what it is or that it exists. this wasn't the case years ago but it is now. so i would say not as long as you would think. i do hope i'm wrong. it would be a shame to see this whole thing go away.

What is worse is that those few who actually witness Drum Corps, most of them ask what school are you with? To the general populous, drum corps and marching band is the SAME THING! Unlike years ago where you could go to see a drum corps show and a band show and understand that they were two separate entities, now the lines have been blurred so much that unless you march, you won't be able to tell the difference. I was asked several times what school my "band" (drum corps) was with and I said "Garbarina-Mazarakos American Legion Post 1523 in NYC class of 1945". :smile:

What is worse is that those few who actually witness Drum Corps, most of them ask what school are you with? To the general populous, drum corps and marching band is the SAME THING! Unlike years ago where you could go to see a drum corps show and a band show and understand that they were two separate entities, now the lines have been blurred so much that unless you march, you won't be able to tell the difference. I was asked several times what school my "band" (drum corps) was with and I said "Garbarina-Mazarakos American Legion Post 1523 in NYC class of 1945". :worthy:

that was a great answer! :smile:

If you think so or not we were ALWAYS looked at as Bandos..yes even back in the day. The general public never, IMO made much of a seperation. :smile:

true. but we could go to barnum, dream, baltimore, rochester, and other shows and pull in 15,000-over 20,000. A.L. nats drew 27,000 in atlanta in 1969. over 30,000 in chicago in 1972. these we not drum corps people but the man off the street. they came for drum corps not bands.

true. but we could go to barnum, dream, baltimore, rochester, and other shows and pull in 15,000-over 20,000. A.L. nats drew 27,000 in atlanta in 1969. over 30,000 in chicago in 1972. these we not drum corps people but the man off the street. they came for drum corps not bands.

Those werent really off the stretters, they were conventioneers, there for a reason, There aren't that many vets to even maintain a hall anymore............................It's a total different time

Those werent really off the stretters, they were conventioneers, there for a reason, There aren't that many vets to even maintain a hall anymore............................It's a total different time

1966 barnum....18,000. 1969 dca 20,000. 1971 dca 18,000. 1971 dream over 20,000. those are just a few and they were not conventioneers. this is history. how many paying customers did you have at dca in 2010......maybe 7,00-8,000. pretty obscure. and you make my point. it's a different time and people don't follow drum corps anymore. it's sad but true. how long can you sustain this if all you get is retired drumcorps people and family members?

1966 barnum....18,000. 1969 dca 20,000. 1971 dca 18,000. 1971 dream over 20,000. those are just a few and they were not conventioneers. this is history. how many paying customers did you have at dca in 2010......maybe 7,00-8,000. pretty obscure. and you make my point. it's a different time and people don't follow drum corps anymore. it's sad but true. how long can you sustain this if all you get is retired drumcorps people and family members?

Kennedy Stadium for one holds 12,000 total..both sides so #s may be a bit off. BUT as you said it's a different time. YES drum corps needs new blood coming in otherwise it will die but the argument here is always bring them in with all the old ideals....YES it was exciting back then , I know I was a part of it BUT what makes you think those methods, ideals, programming..so on and so on is what the NEW blood wants OR WOULD EVEN WORK NOW. I personally dont like the electronics BUT, if it works for the NEW drum Corps..great...if it doesnt its their thing to figure out what works for now.

There are so many reasons drum corps is not the same and I will agree with you that it is a shame but many times reasons here are the furtherest from the truth. Oh and by the way all those OTHER people who used to show up yes loved drum corps maybe once a year but I think if it were the MUMMER BAND circuit the same people back then would have supported the COMMUNITY EVENT.

Also imagine taking a family of four now to a show.......back then may 20 bucks with hot dogs....now........well im sure i dont have to tell you. Just another reason.

Don,

I do not disagree with you at all... But what is the solution? OUR Activity is obscure to the point that it cannot be brought to the masses and have anything happen but failure... It is just plain out of style. There are many many reasons for the decline of the activity but there are really NO solutions... what we have to do is try to make it last as long as we are able...

I guarantee that even with VERY VERY accessable shows and easy to understand and get excited about show designs, that we will still only get a luke warm reception. NO MATTER WHAT WE DO DRUM CORPS WILL END SOMEDAY... This is why I choose to try to enjoy it in whatever form it takes on, as it will be taking on NO form in the fairly near future...