How much longer...

I think this tread can lead to stimulating debate because there are some deeper issues involved. Do we really matter? Do those competing both in DCI and DCA really understand who we are? What our purpose is? Do we have a purpose? Is there a place in drum corps for the alumni activity?

I have been in the activity for six years. I have to admit, I wonder if we really matter to Drum Corps or did the activity just pass us by and if the only reason we exist is for own purposes; that feeling usually hits big time when I'm getting ready to go on at DCI East.

In the past, we have gone on after the scores were announced (which I thought was really disrespectful especially being the majority of the alumni members were the building blocks of what the activity has become), and before the star spangled banner with only about 50 - 100 people in the stands. After a while you start questioning why do it???

I'll never forget the first time at DCI East warming up in the park; a member of Carolina Crown came up to me and said, "For old dudes you play pretty well." I thought to myself if he really knew who was in the corps. Members who were ground breaking with triple tonguing during their judged portion of their show, members of the famous Muchachos, members of the first corps ever to go undefeated in back to back years, members who were the first to transcend from the military type drills to the fan friendly shows, and members of the first eastern corps to win DCI.

So do we really matter, will the alumni activity continue? I guess to those few that continue to post to forums like this it does matter and their hope is it will, if only we got the same type of respect from the group we were instrumental in building; maybe then it will.

The real question is why do you do Alumni corps. If it's for any reason other than to enjoy something you love doing, then you may be frustrated a lot especially in that setting that you speak of. Those achievements you speak of are ancient history to a lot of people in that audience, it doesn't lessen them but don't expect too much recognition. It's kinda like young football players who don't know who Jim Brown is, they don't relate.

Who knows, at some point a new wave of alumni corps from subsequent generations will come forward to relive their glory days, only time will tell.

Edited by Fastone

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real question is why do you do Alumni corps. If it's for any reason other than to enjoy something you love doing, then you may be frustrated a lot especially in that setting that you speak of. Those achievements you speak of are ancient history to a lot of people in that audience, it doesn't lessen them but don't expect too much recognition. It's kinda like young football players who don't know who Jim Brown is, they don't relate.

Who knows, at some point a new wave of alumni corps from subsequent generations will come forward to relive their glory days, only time will tell.

Well said..

Great post Frank!

I for one would love to see those new alumni corps come to fruition. I think it would bring a whole new generation of audience to the DCA alumni show as well which is a win/win situation for all. :laughing:

thats the approach we take at Westshore. we're younger than the average alumni corps, and we sprinkle our stuff up with tunes from the eras the corps membership comes from. since most is from the 80s and 90s, that's the route we've chosen. shame is, after us, there isn't much of a corps history to choose from

thats the approach we take at Westshore. we're younger than the average alumni corps, and we sprinkle our stuff up with tunes from the eras the corps membership comes from. since most is from the 80s and 90s, that's the route we've chosen. shame is, after us, there isn't much of a corps history to choose from

Will Westshore's Alumni seek to appear at another show once Harrisburg ends? ... possibly Reilly's indoor show or DCA when it comes to Annapolis? ... would hate to see their efforts over the past few years just end ... any chance they'll do multiple shows?

:-)