Favorite Corps Record

71 World Open

album.jpg

What he said....closely followed by 71 Dream, and 72 Shriners.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on that one! :tongue:

Interesting that the 71 World Open finals is available on DVD! I have Garfield so far...I'd love to buy the entire show!

I bought all of '70 & '71 World Open DVD's and ripped them to a little portable hard drive. They play really nice using the PS3. As far as LP's are concerned, my top 3 BITD were '71 Midwest Combine, '72 Shiners & '75 DCI, Vol. #1. I still have all three albums, but they are in pretty rough shape.

FYI, 67madplaid71, trust me on this- I AM NOT ONE OF DCI'S PROMOTERS! Just stated an opinion since I was in the stands at the '69 VFW in Philly. I've been doing this hobby as a participant since 1958 and am NOT one of the kool-aid drinkers by any stretch of the imagination. And I also agree with the greed factor back then too. It just wasn't as dominant a factor as it is today.

Ray

Don't keep feeding us DCI's Kool-Aid, greed was the primary reason DCI was formed. The drum corps activity as a whole had nothing to do with the organization of DCI and accepted and lived within the rules at the time. It was 13 corps who belived that they were better than the activity and sought to go out and make their fortune together. That's the truth! Also in the pre-DCI era rules were discussed and decided at the American Legion Rules Congress held each fall (which is also where the organization of the Combine was announced at in the fall of 1971). As far as glock's go, I marched in that era early 1960's) and most felt that they were stupid and had no useful purpose anymore in drum corps. Back in the real old days they helped make drum corps more "musical" along with fife's because of the limited capabilities of the bugle, but with the introduction of the rotary and especially G-F bugles later on, glock's and fife's became unecessary.

I guess one just has to look back at the era of the VFW and American Legion and compare it to the DCI era. Obviously Tony Schlecta was right! More corps, more fans, more shows, more sponsors and the activity actually grew then. DCI put a screen door on a submarine and then kept telling us that we needed to take music appreciation classes if we didn't like what was going on. Fans and sponsors left the activity in droves, not to mention the almost the total disappearnce of the junior corps activity.