Favorite Corps Record

I believe that the Sunrisers were using them in DCA in 1968 or 1969. And Boston had their problems with Tony Schlecta of the VFW in Philly that year with their glocks. He wouldn't allow them. Made the decision on his own, right there at pre-lims.

Ray

Boys of 76 had one in 1970 DCA... At least that's what I heard on the recording... You can hear it during part of one drum solo.

LOL, where's HornsUp at....

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was just called "DCI Champions." I have that one too. But it was Anaheim 72, SCV 73, Madison 75 and BD 76, since those were the first titles for each. It came out before the 79 season. Awesome. First time I heard Slaughter I plotzed. Unreal.
It was blue with silver block print on it.

:devil:

I still have MINE amongst my collection of vinyl (buried in my nephew's garage)..I hadn't heard Anaheim before that - mostly got it for Madison and BD..Really good stuff..You'd think they might redo that idea- shows from all the past champions' 1st title win..That might be a CD group for the ages.

Maybe not the greatest winning shows - but many of which were ground breaking for their time.

Pat

:devil:

You'd think they might redo that idea- shows from all the past champions' 1st title win..That might be a CD group for the ages.

Pat

There would be four more, yes?

Garfield 83

Star 91

Cavaliers 92

Phantom 96

Not a bad album at all.

I believe that the Sunrisers were using them in DCA in 1968 or 1969. And Boston had their problems with Tony Schlecta of the VFW in Philly that year with their glocks. He wouldn't allow them. Made the decision on his own, right there at pre-lims.

Ray

Ray, Sunrisers had the horizontal glock in 69, played by Cliff Diable a former bass drummer. Gerry Shellmer from BAC was the drum instructor. I thought I heard someone say BAC always took a penality using the glock, but didn't care. They did it there way. With GUSTO!

Ray

"Glock's Illegal?":

I was always wondering just "Why" the "Glockenspiels" were "Illegal" at the end of the decade. The Explorer Scouts corps (Madison, St Paul & Racine) ALL HAD THEM in the late 1950's, and were still marching them through the early 1960's through at least 1963. The VFW Nationals recordings (1961 & 62) of Madison have the "Glocks" being used.

I have 1962 & 1963 recordings of both Madison & Racine Scouts and they were still carrying the "Glocks" those seasons.

Anyone out there have a clue as to "What Happened"?

Elphaba

MY favorite too.. Loved 1971 27th

Wes Hobby saying " and when the competetive dust had settled at Manning Bowl, the 27th Lancers were WORLD OPEN CHAMPIONS :devil::lol:

Some incredible corps at that show, a real battle!!! :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

In no particular order:

Drumcorps World retrospective from the 60's (?"Echoes from the Past")

1969 World Open (Troopers, DP Vanguard, Anaheim Kingsmen, BAC)

1966 Dream (Skyliners, Yankee Rebels, Cabs, Bucs {amazing horn solos across the board})

1972 DCA (nuff said)

1972 DCI (1st and best)

1973 DCA (Sky, Hurcs, Bucs, Cabs)

Thank goodness for old school reel to reels which saved the vinyl.

Honorable mention: 1977 DCI which I was able to tape on the aforementioned reel to reel (in stereo no less) off the PBS broadcast. I was one of the the few that actually had a recording of Bayonne prior to the money making DCI forgiveness and release on the Legacy Series.

Regards

"Glock's Illegal?":

I was always wondering just "Why" the "Glockenspiels" were "Illegal" at the end of the decade. The Explorer Scouts corps (Madison, St Paul & Racine) ALL HAD THEM in the late 1950's, and were still marching them through the early 1960's through at least 1963. The VFW Nationals recordings (1961 & 62) of Madison have the "Glocks" being used.

I have 1962 & 1963 recordings of both Madison & Racine Scouts and they were still carrying the "Glocks" those seasons.

Anyone out there have a clue as to "What Happened"?

Elphaba

Tony Schlecta happened! He made up rules and made decisions on the fly as he saw things. He considered himself the very last word when it came to the "Million Dollar Pageant of Drums". Perhaps it was because they were horizontal and not carried as traditional glocks? Only he would know the actual reason and he took it to the grave. In retrospect, he was most likely one of the primary reasons, if not THE primary reason, for the founding of DCI.

Ray

Edited by Ray Priester

Ray

Ray, Sunrisers had the horizontal glock in 69, played by Cliff Diable a former bass drummer. Gerry Shellmer from BAC was the drum instructor. I thought I heard someone say BAC always took a penality using the glock, but didn't care. They did it there way. With GUSTO!

True, it was 69 and Cliff Diable.... :devil:

6/7/1969 Cliff Diable (at the Hurcs Show)

th_1969_06_07_cliff_diable_at_hurcs_show.jpg

Direct link: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/Sund..._hurcs_show.jpg

1969 Dream, Cliff Diable

th_1969_dream_cliff_diable.jpg

Direct link: http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/Sund...liff_diable.jpg

On the Sunrisers site...

The Sunrisers, August 10, 1969

Cliff Diable ; "1st use of mallets in DCA history" "At The Dream"

Jersey City, New Jersey

http://www.sunrisers.com/images/photos/196...ff_diable.shtml

Last photo, on right behind the Bass Drums

http://www.sunrisers.com/images/photos/196...69_barnum.shtml