Favorite Corps Record

When I first saw the title of this thread I immediately thought of my favorite album. I was thrilled when I opened the thread and saw my choice was number one on the list.

The 1968 North American Championship had a sound unlike any other drum corps album of the time. I do remember talking with the album's producer many years ago and he said that they miked the stadium a little differently. They did pick up somethings you might not hear from a Fleetwood recording back them. This is the only album on which you can hear a color guard go to "right shoulder arms"; Troopers at the conclusion of "Battle Hymn of the Republic" (Color Pres.)

It sounds like the producer compressed the sound on this album, like Phil Spector used to do for his "wall of sound".

Casper's drum like was excellent. Optimists "Temptation", out of concert, is a great piece. Del was a few years away from greatness. But, Des Plaines!

That fanfare into "Man from LaMancha", great French Horns! Copeland's "Common Man" was magnificent. But, my favorite is "Mercy, Mercy" by The Buckinghams. Great arrangement. Great drum corps. Great album!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember marching that show -- always loved East Coast crowds!

My quandary, how do I decide who to march with in ’76? RC, right in my back yard and I had friends there. BD, the whole show just blew me away. PR, stunned by the brass line and couldn't figure why they weren't closer to BD.

Eanie, meanie, minie, moe!

1973 DCI Whitewater - Santa Clara Vanguard and St Andrews Bridgemen

Young Persons Guide...completely blew my mind and St Andrews triple tonguing was new/old school beauty.

Argonne Rebels were third, Blue Stars 4th most listened to, Stockton Commodores 5th

Argonnes hornline played the hardest book of all and they never stopped playing for 13 minutes. Blue Stars had the best overall horn sound, something they continued to have until the 80's. Commodores were my guilty pleasure because they stole the Mariners schtick completely and did it better than Mariners ever could. Same uniforms same tunes.

Does anyone remember the name of my favorite DC Record?

It was standard issue back in 1979 when I started...

It had the DCI Champs from 1973, 74, 75 and 76

Does anyone remember the name of my favorite DC Record?

It was standard issue back in 1979 when I started...

It had the DCI Champs from 1973, 74, 75 and 76

It was just called "DCI Champions." I have that one too. But it was Anaheim 72, SCV 73, Madison 75 and BD 76, since those were the first titles for each. It came out before the 79 season. Awesome. First time I heard Slaughter I plotzed. Unreal.

Another oldie I wore out was the Cavalier's GREEN MACHINE album that came out in 1970. It had the full field show for 70 (4th of July show) and excerpts from the years 63 to 69. I lost the original when I went into the service but have since replaced it with two more copies. Great stuff!!! :laughing:

I have that one.....I always thought it was funny on the back cover where it says "drug major" instead of "drum major"

It was just called "DCI Champions." I have that one too. But it was Anaheim 72, SCV 73, Madison 75 and BD 76, since those were the first titles for each. It came out before the 79 season. Awesome. First time I heard Slaughter I plotzed. Unreal.

It was blue with silver block print on it.

Another classic that I memorized every groove (on the record) was the 1969 Shriners International. WOW, Kilties set the standard for me as far as what a hornline was supposed to sound like back in the day. And then there was Boston as well. Remember they had glockenspiels WAY before if was legal and DCA allowed them in 74. "Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end..." Aaah.

Another classic that I memorized every groove (on the record) was the 1969 Shriners International. WOW, Kilties set the standard for me as far as what a hornline was supposed to sound like back in the day. And then there was Boston as well. Remember they had glockenspiels WAY before if was legal and DCA allowed them in 74. "Those were the days my friends, we thought they'd never end..." Aaah.

I believe that the Sunrisers were using them in DCA in 1968 or 1969. And Boston had their problems with Tony Schlecta of the VFW in Philly that year with their glocks. He wouldn't allow them. Made the decision on his own, right there at pre-lims.

Ray