Most Exciting Senior Corps, Early DCA

I must agree with fecontra: for excitement, no one does it better then SKY did in 72, and going back a little further, SKY in 65 and 66......no one got the audience going better than they did. NO ONE did it like SKY back then.

Yes, there were others that were good, and I can see that people pick the corps they marched in, but when it came to excitement.......it had to be Skyliners.

Going back just a bit farther, one of my favorite recordings of all time is the 1963 Skyliners at the Dream in Jersey City. Top to bottom, just an amazing corps full of excitement!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first DCA experience was the 1975 Dream Contest in Roosevelt Stadium Jersey City, NJ.

I remember being blown away by all the Corps (Cabs, Hurcs, Sky, Yankee Rebels and Matadors) but I really, really liked the Matadors!

My home team had a rough day, so I don't remember too much about that, except for Bob Gironda on those bari solos! :worthy:

Tough to believe that was 35 years ago.......yikes.

Dennis ................ WOW................Thank You!

Cozy made sure I heard the Audio of 72 Cru. :worthy: Didn't you guys play a show in Racine that year? If ya did, I'm sure they heard you in Michigan as you played backfield in Horlick towards the Lake! :worthy:

I'd LOVE to see Pheonix!

Listening to 72 mp3 now

Listening to 72 mp3 now

Some of my most vivid memories from BITD concern the Crusaders. 71 & 72 never saw them in

person but the recordings....................................................Oh My !!! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

73 was a dark time for me & DC but in 74 my brother Mark & I loaded up his car & went on a road trip.

Saw Cru a number of times & loved the show. We were at the Saratoga NY. show on the race track.

Unfortunately the 74 recordings were not the best quality but I listen every now & then. In 75 I was with

the Matadors & found myself competing against them & beating them. Two things stand out about that

year. Standing on retreat in Baltimore, & we had scored about 3 points over them. As they were marching

by leaving the field a little girl in the rifle line (I say little girl because she looked very young) stuck her tongue out at us. We thought that was hilarious. But that little girl got the last & most important laugh at DCA as they

finished over us for the only time that year (not a complaint, I listen to the shows & it could have gone either way)

That same DCA (75) was when I first me Tom Peashey. We had a very long conversation near the end zone during finals. He was trying to be so nice & I was this little (well fat actually) snot nose punk 19 yr old kid that thought he knew it all. He explained the short turbulent history of Phoenix & their quick rise to power. At the end of our conversation I disrespected him & I still feel bad about that & have since apologized. I did apologize didn't I Tom? Just in case..........

"I'M VERY SORRY I WAS A PUNK A** JERK"

Then lastly in 77 I remember standing watching that 70 person horn line & wondering to myself...... how are we ever going to beat them? Well we did but it wasn't by much. Like 75 it could have gone either way.

I miss Cru. I hope they find a way to come back

Any updates from their camp? Anything about Brigs?

Some of my most vivid memories from BITD concern the Crusaders. 71 & 72 never saw them in

person but the recordings....................................................Oh My !!! :worthy::worthy::worthy:

73 was a dark time for me & DC but in 74 my brother Mark & I loaded up his car & went on a road trip.

Saw Cru a number of times & loved the show. We were at the Saratoga NY. show on the race track.

Unfortunately the 74 recordings were not the best quality but I listen every now & then. In 75 I was with

the Matadors & found myself competing against them & beating them. Two things stand out about that

year. Standing on retreat in Baltimore, & we had scored about 3 points over them. As they were marching

by leaving the field a little girl in the rifle line (I say little girl because she looked very young) stuck her tongue out at us. We thought that was hilarious. But that little girl got the last & most important laugh at DCA as they

finished over us for the only time that year (not a complaint, I listen to the shows & it could have gone either way)

That same DCA (75) was when I first me Tom Peashey. We had a very long conversation near the end zone during finals. He was trying to be so nice & I was this little (well fat actually) snot nose punk 19 yr old kid that thought he knew it all. He explained the short turbulent history of Phoenix & their quick rise to power. At the end of our conversation I disrespected him & I still feel bad about that & have since apologized. I did apologize didn't I Tom? Just in case..........

"I'M VERY SORRY I WAS A PUNK A** JERK"

Then lastly in 77 I remember standing watching that 70 person horn line & wondering to myself...... how are we ever going to beat them? Well we did but it wasn't by much. Like 75 it could have gone either way.

:worthy:

lol time can be a wonderful thing... I have no recollection of this encounter... apology accepted anyway...

George

Er... Tom

Er... George

what the heck is my name?

Going back just a bit farther, one of my favorite recordings of all time is the 1963 Skyliners at the Dream in Jersey City. Top to bottom, just an amazing corps full of excitement!

Man... they had an awesome show that year. That sop duet in "Down by the Station" is, IMO, one of the best ever. Maybe second on my list behind the Blue Devils' "Dindi" duet in 1980.

I love the PA announcer as Sky came on at that Dream show in '63:

"Now, lining up at the starting line, are the New York Skyliners..."

HUGE roar from the crowd.

"... who have brought all of Yonkers, NY, with them this afternoon!" :worthy:

'72 Hawthorne Caballeros ... The show was musically years ahead of its time.

My first DCA experience was the 1975 Dream Contest in Roosevelt Stadium Jersey City, NJ.

I remember being blown away by all the Corps (Cabs, Hurcs, Sky, Yankee Rebels and Matadors) but I really, really liked the Matadors!

My home team had a rough day, so I don't remember too much about that, except for Bob Gironda on those bari solos! :worthy:

Tough to believe that was 35 years ago.......yikes.

Dennis, that was my first Dream with the corps.

The DCA corps weren't the only hot thing on the field that day ... It was like 105, or something ridiculous.

Oh, and if Nelson Ramirez wasn't balancing out Gironda from the Sop side, the World would have probably tilted off its axis.

Seems like yesterday.

'72 Hawthorne Caballeros ... The show was musically years ahead of its time.

Listening to it now.

Seems ahead of its time for sure.