Most Exciting Senior Corps, Early DCA

You and I will have to get together and exchange some stories some time. Preferably while no one younger is around to get bored with them.

Hey Ray,

You work in the tower up there in Boston, no? Catch a flight out to SFO for the Chinese New Year's Day Parade. Charlie will be lugging the big horn around. If you go out there on Thursday you can sit in with the Renegades TNT. And believe me, those people out on the left coast will eat up all the "BITD" stories you can possibly tell at the party after the parade. It's one of those "Bucket List" thingies. A REALLY unique experience. Hey cg!!! Am I right? Or am I right.

Edited by NYSkyliner

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man that was a long day for the team... last time I saw them in Cadet uniforms. Vito's solo still echoing in my head - it was that loud.

I think that day was directly responsible for the rebirth the next year though.

No, it was the camp weekend before Wildwood that set the tone for what was to come.

Hey Ray,

You work in the tower up there in Boston, no? Catch a flight out to SFO for the Chinese New Year's Day Parade. Charlie will be lugging the big horn around. If you go out there on Thursday you can sit in with the Renegades TNT. And believe me, those people out on the left coast will eat up all the "BITD" stories you can possibly tell at the party after the parade. It's one of those "Bucket List" thingies. A REALLY unique experience. Hey cg!!! Am I right? Or am I right.

HEH...YO! You speak true, Kemosabe! DO IT, Ray!

cg

Edited by chasgroh

Hey Ray,

Something I've always wanted to do (although I flat out hate parades - having done 50 years worth).

The flying is simple - as you say - I just sign on a flight with seats and go.

My wife's MS makes it a tiny bit more difficult - plus the fact that while she pretty much likes drum corps, it's not her element.

We've gone out to Oakland for her to sing on New Years 3 times, but I'm not sure she'd buy SFO for me to march a parade.

We'll see though.

Would the Renegades survive?

1975 Phoenix looked real good from the backside stands too. :laughing:

You should have seen it from the podium.....

great memories Ken... and I have more than a few memories of your corps... Let me know when the jury comes in on 1972 DCA Roosevelt Stadium... been waiting for 38 years...

Golde kind of forgot to mention that in his post he's talking about Greece Cadets coming home after winning DCI Class A... for those who didn't know...

Golde's comments on Cru 2010 come from a former board member - so I guess he should know... I can confirm only that the board did order the corps (per its by laws) to dissolve... Many board members did participate in a meeting shortly thereafter (last January) and invited several of the past leaders of the corps - myself included - to discuss keeping the corps going and moving forward. While some great ideas came out of that meeting - apparently those in control chose to move independently of that group which leads to Golde's comments and a high probability the corps will not come back any time soon.

Although no one from the Brigs has chimed it, I am priviledged to some information that would indicate that the corps has some strong leadership in place, has NOT liquidated any equipment, in conjunction with the Alumni has kept the name active in Central NY and has a winterguard performing for 2011 season. However, the last I spoke with anyone which was over a month ago, they seemed to be firm that all finances be in place before restarting rehearsals for the competing corps. The only question they had was when that would be and I received "mixed signals" from their new management - some wanted to minimize the down time and start up for 2011 and some saying they are financially not ready and that a full start in the fall of 2011 for the 2012 season was more likely. Unlike Cru, they seem to be in full control of their destiny, be examining all options carefully and prudently and a return soon would seem highly probable.

Thanks, Tom for your help in my previous post as I was way too excited in my past experience to include the name of my corps! LOL!

However i would like to clarify I was not a member of the Board of Directors at the time of their demise. I retired at the end of my term in September 2009, at the end of the season. It was with heavy heart to see the line of events happen afterwards and only hope that someday, SOMEWHERE, that Cru will resurrect with those that bleed Green!

Finances are always the problem this day and age and hope I win the dang lottery because that would be one of my first tasks! :laughing:

Something I've always wanted to do (although I flat out hate parades - having done 50 years worth).

I love parades.

I love parades.

yeah well you don't have to carry a freaking drum!! i think parades should be banned. :tongue:

Edited by donincardona

yeah well you don't have to carry a freaking drum!! i think parades should be banned. :tongue:

AMEN!!!! :tongue: :tongue: :doh:

You dance with the girl you bring.

Get a prettier girl :tongue: